Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Free Press interview with Mayor Dave Bing: 'There's a lot of momentum to build on'

In an interview last Wednesday with Free Press editorial writer Jeff Gerritt, Detroit Mayor Dave Bing talked about the Woodward Light Rail Project, staff turnover, Kwame Kilpatrick, and why he's optimistic about Detroit's future and as committed as ever to seeking a second term. What follows is excerpted from that conversation.

QUESTION: The signs from the federal government on the Woodward Light Rail Project have been very encouraging, but M-1 investors still haven't given final approval to the $100-million commitment they made to the project. Are you certain you can get that money?

ANSWER: First of all, it was never $100 million -- the correct figure is between $70 million and $75 million. I think there are potentially two [[investors) at risk -- and I say that only because I have not talked to those investors on a direct basis. That would be Dan Gilbert and the Ilitch family. Everyone else I've talked to, and everyone else is in.

The controversy is overblown. Are there disagreements? Yes. Can we work them out? Yes. Also, there's General Motors, who's not in at this point. I think I can get them in. Can I get Blue Cross Blue Shield in it? I think so. Can I get DTE in it? I think so.

Q: So you may be adding to the original investors?

A: Yes.

Q: Detroit's bus system has already taken significant cuts and could lose more of its operating revenue to the planned rail system. How can you ensure adequate operating revenue for the Detroit Department of Transportation?

A: We can't have three distinct transit systems: light rail, SMART and DDOT. There has to be consolidation. I think step one is to look at that. We have to have a regional transportation system.

Q: Does that mean the city will, this time around, support legislation to create a regional transit authority as a first step toward a regional system?

A: Maybe not as presented now, but yes. There may have to be some tweaking [[to the legislation).

Continued at: http://www.freep.com/article/2011080...omentum-build-
    Last edited by begingri; August-07-11 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks for posting that! Very significant steps the Mayor seems to be willing to take here.

Wait, what's GM for? More money? A car company supporting mass transit? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by begingri View Post
    Q: Detroit's bus system has already taken significant cuts and could lose more of its operating revenue to the planned rail system. How can you ensure adequate operating revenue for the Detroit Department of Transportation?

A: We can't have three distinct transit systems: light rail, SMART and DDOT. There has to be consolidation. I think step one is to look at that. We have to have a regional transportation system.
    I certainly agree that more needs to be done to integrate these systems. I am wondering where the DPM fits into this overall plan? I never understood why it operated as an independant authority for as long as it has. The last few years I have seen some cooperation between DPM and DDOT but there is still a lot more than can be done to coordinate services and operations.