Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Name of Detroit area judge that secretly kept two families?...

A made for TV movie was done on this story about twenty years, if I recall right. I think the judge was from Oakland County. What was his name and what became of him?

Judge Beer, I think it was. Yep, William Beer. His son, Matt Beer, was a writer for the Detroit News, and he had another son that was an actor.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; August-07-11 at 10:42 AM.

What was the name of the movie made about his story? Did one or both of his wives divorce him? I remember Matt Beer.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...att+beer&hl=en

Here's an old news article.

I very vaguely remembered the story when I saw his name mentioned.

Matt Beer was a nice, fun-loving and very intelligent guy. I hung out with him a couple of times. He had some personal problems too and was on his way back when he died of some some rare medical condition while in the capitol of Cambodia.

William Beer had some other problems as well. He thought his judge's pay was constitutionally exempt from taxation. He received a refund for the amounts withheld for three years. He did end up having to pay it all back. His jury guidelines were questioned in the Algiers Motel trial of Patrolman August, who was acquitted. His sentencing guidelines were questioned in a trial where he allowed a man convicted of sexual misconduct to return to the community before sentencing, to see how he conducted himself.

His listing from PoliticalGraveyard.com:

Beer, William John [[1909-1996) — also known as William J. Beer — of Berkley, Oakland County, Mich.; Birmingham, Oakland County, Mich. Born February 17, 1909. Circuit judge in Michigan 6th Circuit, 1958-77; defeated, 1953; appointed 1958; American Independent candidate for justice of Michigan state supreme court, 1972. Died in Royal Oak, Oakland County, Mich., April 18, 1996 [[age 87 years, 61 days). Burial location unknown.

The movie was called "Double Standard" [[1988) and starred Robert Foxworth.

Thanks for the info, Kathleen. I couldn't find the movie title on Imdb.com when I searched for it. Do you remember if the story was well done or not?

Default Here's an obit for the second wife