Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What Happened to the James Scott Memorial Fountain?

I was driving by the James Scott Fountain today and I noticed that it is covered in rust [[in the areas where the water comes out at) and it looks pretty bad. Has anybody else noticed that? Does anyone know what happened to the fountain [[I guess it probably has to do with the pipes) and if anything is being done to fix it? Just a few months ago [[before they turned the water on) it was still white and beautiful and now seemingly out of nowhere it has turned brown.
    Last edited by detroitpride313; August-06-11 at 08:40 PM.

lilpup Guest

Just a guess but after the copper piping was swiped it probably got replaced with less expensive steel pipe.

Yeah that makes sense but it is unfortunate because the fountain had a brilliant white color since the time it was made and now it's tarnished and doesn't look as nice.
    Last edited by detroitpride313; August-06-11 at 10:19 PM.

Is this for real?
    Swiping the copper out of.......ah, nevermind.

Yeah, they had to swap out the copper as the scrappers kept stealing it.... then it was fenced off for a while. It's been really sad to see the decline of this wonderful fountain.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Is this for real?
    Swiping the copper out of.......ah, nevermind.

Seems unlikely that any commercial pipe would rust that fast. Pipe used for plumbing [[when it was steel) was galvanized, and if they replaced copper, wouldn't it be PVC? is it rusty pumps?

I doubt they would use steel/galvanized pipes, because new ones rust incredibly fast. I rarely install galvanized because of that, and if I have to repair or replace a section, I'll use a couple of smaller brass pipes fitted to copper with dielectric unions.

Keep in mind that the scrappers got into the Scott Fountain about 3 years ago and swiped all the copper. It was since replace, and the fountain was renovated [[again) last summer, when alot of the original Pewabic tile was damaged/removed.

It would seem logical for them to use copper, not steel, or even PEX [[plastic), and since copper doesn't really stain, I would suspect a pump or filter is failing.

It happened after the island was shut down at night by Kwhyme, so he and his cronies could have a private place to play. I'd bet Bobby Ferguson just couldn't stay away from all that copper...and they all had attorney bills to pay, even back then.

<Sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    Seems unlikely that any commercial pipe would rust that fast. Pipe used for plumbing [[when it was steel) was galvanized, and if they replaced copper, wouldn't it be PVC? is it rusty pumps?
    Exactly, why would they use copper? When the fountain was built, they would have used iron pipes. I owned a couple houses with swimming pools and they all used PVC and rubber. I've never seen copper used in a swimming pool. Upgrading it to copper instead of PVC and rubber like they do with swimming pools and residential fountains makes no sense at all.

I went to Belle Isle today and I talked to a man who was there a few weeks ago when some workers were repairing a fountain. The man said he was talking to the worker about the fountain and the worker said that the fountain's pipes are really rusty and they still haven't fixed them yet. So I guess until they fix the pipes and clean the marble the fountain will still be rusty. Hopefully they will fix the pipes [[and the damaged pewabic tile) soon and eventually get the whole fountain working again.

This "fix" of the Scott Fountain sounds worse all the time. Who was the contractor on the initial fix, when the tile was removed? Was it an approved contractor with a history of dealing with antique artworks? Or was it a six-pack and boom-box crew?

Went by it today. Looks really bad. Some water sprockets are cut off due to the high degree of rust staining. Also, on the western edge of the fountain near the outer steps where there used to be water flowing, it is off now.

What can be done? How can we save that old rascal Jim Scott's gift to Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    What can be done? How can we save that old rascal Jim Scott's gift to Detroit?
    move it to the Zoo

DetroitPole Guest

Jesus H. Jones, this city can't even maintain a fucking fountain? Are the people in the government and the people they hire that goddamn stupid? I know the city isn't exactly awash in cash but it isn't the fucking Taj Mahal. Can I withhold my tax money from these mental deficients until they fix it?