Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wikipedia to the rescue again, huh? Thanks.

I thought I was reasonably well-traveled on the Interstates...hitting most of the major cities in North America except Portland, Baltimore and a few on the east coast...but the only one of those I've even come near is Toledo.

Guess I've got to hit the road again...LOL! At least now I can avoid those drawbridges.

Cheers

This is giving me itchy feet. Drawbridges I have known, roads to explore, weather is perfect, Who's up for a ROAD TRIP?

I've been meaning to talk with you about a Vision Quest...I know I'm a few decades late for it...but can we go visit the Lakota Nation for a while?! Didn't see any drawbridges nearby to them, but we can take the l-o-n-g way!

Line up the teacher first. That would be my take on it. We do this here in Michigan too. Lots of skeeters, though. That's one of the first things you learn, that there is a way to think of these things. Mosquitos are great teachers.

LOL, that was one of the scenes out of the book Rolling Thunder that Jams lent to me, and I haven't given back yet...he wasn't bothered by them, while his observer was nearly eaten alive.

We'll talk about this privately, there is so much I have to learn...about approaching the learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    September, gnome. If all goes well I'll be there the week of September 12 - 17. But I have a ton of stops to make including Toledo, so I'll see if I can work something out maybe on the 16th.
    Ray: Any news on your trip to Detroit?

Driving through the ancient, wind-carved canyons that have been cut, formed, and weirdly shaped by years of sand and wind erosion, always demands my attention every time I'm near Gallup - I prefer the I-40 route to Las Vegas and beyond no matter the season.

The Res might be dry, but that doesn't stop Native Americans who live there from coming into town to buy alcohol and get blindingly drunk; and afterward, trying to "walk" back to the Res, weaving and staggering badly all over the road [[I've seen this many times), or they fall down and pass out on the shoulders of poorly-lit highways, where they're in danger of being hit by a car and killed - I've read or heard somewhere that there were more than 60 stores that sold beer, wine, and alcohol in Gallup, NM - Seems like more than enough for a city with a population barely topping 20,000.

Ray, What Kathleen asked? Any news?

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Jingles in Boofland View Post
    The Res might be dry, but that doesn't stop Native Americans who live there from coming into town to buy alcohol and get blindingly drunk; and afterward, trying to "walk" back to the Res, weaving and staggering badly all over the road [[I've seen this many times), or they fall down and pass out on the shoulders of poorly-lit highways, where they're in danger of being hit by a car and killed - I've read or heard somewhere that there were more than 60 stores that sold beer, wine, and alcohol in Gallup, NM - Seems like more than enough for a city with a population barely topping 20,000.
    I had lots of experience with that when I lived there. And those numbers seem right from what I recall. This is an excellent argument against Prohibition.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Ray, What Kathleen asked? Any news?

Stromberg2
    Ah, finally got my laptop working again. Sorry to report that we're on our way up north to Traverse City already. Only spent a couple days in metro Detroit and just did not have time for a meet. Matter of fact, only six hours sleep most of the time. Hopefully next year, and thanks for asking, gang.

WHaaa--? You're supposed to be RETIRED, Ray! What's up with the tight schedule? Relax and enjoy the chilly weather.

Glad to hear that you are on the move, Ray. I thought maybe your back was still a problem and you weren't going anywhere, not even to sit in front of the computer!!

Have a good visit! And a safe drive home!!

While in Livonia, I installed shower doors in my idiot son's bathroom, and yes, I did screw up my back a little again. Not as bad as last time, but irritating. Now that I'm on the shore of Grand Traverse Bay, I'm gonna kick back, drink some wine, play some cards, and sleep until two hours after sunup.

By the way, the drive from LV to MI was pleasant and uneventful. Ran in to no problematic road construction at all until we hit Indiana. All the spare orange barrels in North America appear to be stored on their roads. The overflow have been stored on I-94 between Jackson and AA.

Post Script: This is the first cross country trip that I used my Magellan GPS unit. Really a great help, even though I know the route backwards. We pulled into Effingham, IL, looking for the Best Western Motel. Saw no signs at all. Punched up "Motels" on the GPS and Best Western was on page one. Clicked on "Go", and the robotic voice took us directly to the building. While in Livonia, had to run down to Monroe to see a friend. Never been off the freeway in the Monroe area in my life, but programming the address in the unit took me directly there.

Nice toy.

Dammit, Ray, I live in Monroe...wish I would have known. I could have bought you a quick beer!

Stromberg2

Dammit, Ray, I live in Monroe...wish I would have known. I could have bought you a quick beer!

Stromberg2
    Dang, I wish I had known that. I met my friend at the Clam Digger. Nice place on the Raisin River. Had a snack and I picked up a package from him to take back to LV. Small generator; would have cost a fortune to ship it. A good opportunity missed, Strom. Would have been fun.

Did you get a chance to have "River Squirrel" while you were down in Monroe, Ray? Those big timey folks in Las Vegas don't know what they're missing.

Enjoy Michigan again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Did you get a chance to have "River Squirrel" while you were down in Monroe, Ray? Those big timey folks in Las Vegas don't know what they're missing.

Enjoy Michigan again.
    I sure don't know what a River Squirrel is, but that snack I had did have a unique flavor to it.

I enjoy Michigan every trip back. But then, I don't come back in the winter, which runs from the middle of October until about May 1. At the other extreme, winter in Las Vegas runs from January 25 to Groundhog Day. Well, it seems like it, anyway.

Installing shower doors on your vacation with a bad back huh. Hope he bought you dinner or took you fishing.

Ray1936 and Old guy, two opposites of the spectrum. That's why I love this forum. Old guy - is there still a dent in that baton? Ray1936 - did you put it away for one hippie? I love both you guy's. [[sniff). : )

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Installing shower doors on your vacation with a bad back huh. Hope he bought you dinner or took you fishing.
    Shower doors are a pretty easy install job. Brought my tools with me so no real problem. The dark shower curtain he had there was depressing and drove me nuts. Anyway, yeah, we had a fine dinner with the grandsons.

The back held up just fine, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Ray1936 and Old guy, two opposites of the spectrum. That's why I love this forum. Old guy - is there still a dent in that baton? Ray1936 - did you put it away for one hippie? I love both you guy's. [[sniff). : )
    My old baton hangs in the garage back in Nevada. Wanted to hang it in the den, but friend wife drew the line on that one. You know how fussy women can be.

When I was discharged from the service in 1972, I came back here [[to Detroit) for a little while until my dad and I had an argument about me staying out to all hours of the night [[I was in a band), and he told me to find somewhere else to live - I did - I hitched to San Francisco and lived there for a few months, then on to LA, and finally Las Vegas, where my parents had some old friends that were formerly from Detroit - I stayed with them for a little while, and then found my own place - I stayed in LV for about three years - It was a lot smaller then, probably about 250,000 people - I was lucky enough to see Elvis, Frank Sinatra [[saw him again in 1982 at The Joe), Dean Martin, and Wilson Pickett of all people! Those years were the best years of my life, everything a young man of 20 could want to happen to him as far as women and good times, happened - I used to live on Blanton Street, near Tropicana & Nellis, at the edge of the desert - Years later, when I was working for a very large publisher of computer magazines [[IDG), I went back to LV on business for the Comdex's and Consumer Electronics shows - I drove over to where I used to live, and drove right past it - It was so built up that I didn't even recognize the cross streets where I used to live! - Always loved the desert, and will eventually move to Arizona, perhaps around Apache Junction, some day soon I hope [[if I can ever sell my home in New Hampshire!) - BTW, anyone interested in a Queen Anne Victorian with a wrap-around porch, a two-story attached barn, with a magnificent maple tree in the front yard, and built in 1897? I'll let it go cheap!!!
    Last edited by Jingles in Boofland; September-16-11 at 02:02 PM.

Ray, I literally live 2 minutes away from the Clamdigger. Maybe next time. I believe "river squirrel" is muskrat. Never had it, just don't sound too tasty!

Stromberg2

Ray, I literally live 2 minutes away from the Clamdigger. Maybe next time. I believe "river squirrel" is muskrat. Never had it, just don't sound too tasty!

Stromberg2
    You got it, Stromberg - I draw the line when it comes to eating rodents. Maybe if I was on "Survivor", just not the two weeks they did.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast