Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default The Detroit Hall of Lesser Fame

UPDATE: See Nominee List through August 9 HERE

Reading the Bill Bonds: He's ba-ack! thread got me thinking about the lesser legends of the Detroit scene of which I consider him a prime example. You know -- those "B" Legends who in one way or another got in our heads and water cooler conversations, made us smile, make us wince, maybe made us blow your tops but, love'em or hate'em, we know them.

If we were casting a B movie about Detroit Legends they would be our talent pool.They don't ascend to the titanic levels of a Henry Ford, Aretha, Emimen, Barry Gordy, Joe Louis, or Albert Kahn but they are a definite part of our landscape and history.

Think Mr. Belvidere, Geoffrey Feiger, Bill Bonds and the like who stood out for their buffoonery, personal problems, wigs, generosity or whatever. But, good or bad, the one thing none of them lacked was tons of color.

Who you think deserves to be in this Detroit Hall of Lesser Fame and how did they earn the accolade?

Gotta throw Mel Farr into the mix.

How about George Pierrot, the travel show guy. I used to watch him on saturday mornings. He would fall asleep, mutter to himself and slur his words, but it was still a cool show. I saw his gravestone in a big cemetary on the eastside.

Bill Kennedy

Van Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    How about George Pierrot, the travel show guy. I used to watch him on saturday mornings. He would fall asleep, mutter to himself and slur his words, but it was still a cool show. I saw his gravestone in a big cemetary on the eastside.
    Elmwood. I just saw it today.

Rob Parker for sports.

Always willing to stir things up and was trying to be controversial when there wasn't any. He'd occasionally show up on a national show but rarely did he add anything to be what I would consider of note. Gets tossed off of both Detroit newspapers and had to constantly back track his off handed remarks.

Tries to be cutesy on WDIV's weekend sports show but comes across as shmarmy with his insider knowledge. Does anyone in this town even pay attention to his brand of sports journalism anymore?

Default More Candidates!

Let's not forget Sonny Elliott, "Bless You Boys" Al Ackerman, or Johnny Ginger!

Rita Bell, Mary Morgan, Lou Gordon, Denny McLain.

How about the entire lineup during Channel 7's golden age in the 70's.

Stromberg2

Sir Graves Ghastly

Bob Talbert

Joe Falls

Orville Hubbard

Friend Palmer

Silas Farmer

Hey everyone's picking on minor heroes for this Hall of Fame! My earlier Rob Parker pick was based upon his buffonery. But if I had to pick an odd hero, let me toss in Nat Morris of WGPR's The Scene.

He was something else.

John DeLorean

For daring to dream the Great Detroit Dream
    ... and smuggling cocaine to save it
    ... and beating the rap.

Larry Santos, Ron Coden and Yolanda Williams from The HOT FUDGE SHOW!

Jackie Feigenson

Jackie Feigenson was a major force in the local art world in the 1970s and 80s. She owned the Feigenson Gallery in the Fisher Building where she showed the best of local art from the Cass Corridor school. Many of her artists went on to national recognition.

Leon Spinks getting rolled by a hooker ?
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ast-Chance-Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Sir Graves Ghastly
    Soupy Sales too

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Jackie Feigenson

Jackie Feigenson was a major force in the local art world in the 1970s and 80s. She owned the Feigenson Gallery in the Fisher Building where she showed the best of local art from the Cass Corridor school. Many of her artists went on to national recognition.
    Good one. Side note was that her assets were from the Faygo fortune. The name Faygo comes from Feigenson which is pronounced Faygenson. Her early death was a blow to the Detroit art scene. While her assistant Mary Preston carried on the gallery for a few years, it never regained her momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    Leon Spinks getting rolled by a hooker ?
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ast-Chance-Bar
    Too funny. It could be argued that since Spinks ascended the national stage by defeating Muhammed Ali that he qualifies an A actor, if only briefly. So maybe the nominations to the Hall of Lesser Fame need special departments, kind of like the baseball hall of fame has for perfect games, to accommodate celebrities behaving badly in Detroit.

Count Scary
    Bill Cunningham
    Channel 9's Bozo and Mr Whodini
    Windsor's Shania Twain

Woodrow W. Woody from Woody Pontiac.

At the end of his commercials, he'd say "So long ----bye bye --- see you soon" to try and fill the remaining time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    So maybe the nominations to the Hall of Lesser Fame need special departments, kind of like the baseball hall of fame has for perfect games, to accommodate celebrities behaving badly in Detroit.
    If that's the case I'd like to enshrine Stu Klitenic in with Rob Parker in the sports wing.

Fred Wolf and his Wacky Wigloo radio show from WXYZ at Six Mile and Liverwurst. Ooops...Livernois. Helluva bowler, by the way.

Paul Williams of WWJ-TV broadcasting wrestling from Mack Gardens, when he cracked peanuts in front of the mike as an arm or leg was getting twisted.

Al Nagler, one of the early radio broadcasters of the Red Wings.

Harry Heilmann, Tigers great, when he was the radio broadcaster c. 1950. Heavy smoker. Teeth were yellowed beyond description. But good radio voice.

Ray Girardin, nice guy, but perhaps the most unqualified Detroit Police Commissioner in the history of the DPD. Well, until recent years, anyway.

Jean Dishong, "Miss Fairweather", early talking head on Channel 4. I gave her a ticket for speeding on the John Lodge once. Where the ticket asks, "Weather", of course, I inserted "Fair".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast