Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default DPS buys Emergency Manger $40k SUV, Same Week He Announces Cuts

Detroit needs the Chinese solution to graft and corruption.

For once, Detroiters had nothing to do with this particular --redacted--. He was imposed on Detroit.

Oh, so you'd rather go back to the way mismanagement used to be before Bobb?

Not exactly what I wanted to hear. I would have had more respect for him had he declined the car. Shoot, I'm driving a 2002 model, and it was free [[or I'd still be driving my 1987 version). I would bet he has a driver, too, for security reasons. Does he really think we are that insane as to try and harm him? I can handle cuts as long as the perks are done away with and everyone takes them [[except those poor folks on hourly...they don't make squat as is).

I almost had some respect for this guy because he also chopped 10% off his salary...not so much anymore.

I know he isn't a politician, exactly, but this is the kind of misstep that you get from someone who has a bit of a political tin ear. Even if it was the best possible move financially [[which I doubt), it is going to rub people the wrong way under the circumstances.

It IS nor need not be an Either/ OR issue.

Mismanagement and continued 'big-wig' spending needs to stop! I guess all of Bobb's well heeled 'expense account' pampered consultants and 'vendors' are gone back out of town....
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    Oh, so you'd rather go back to the way mismanagement used to be before Bobb?
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-06-11 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    It IS nor not need not be an Either/ OR issue.

Mismanagement and continued 'big-wig' spending need to stop! I guess all of Bobb well heeled 'expense account' pampered consultants and 'vendors' are gone back out of town....
    Thank you. I was about to give that comment the side eye, but you've handled it for me. Anyone who's not about teaching and learning needs to get out of education, period.

lilpup Guest

SUVs are standard personal security vehicles nowadays and I imagine he and Bobb have had plenty of threats made against them.

Seriously, this guy is an ex-GM higher up - he doesn't need the school district to get an SUV and he isn't going to financially gain much, relative to his GM position, from the EFM job.

Some people just want to stir the shit.

If people aren't willing to allow him an SUV for safety's sake then the entire DPS police aren't needed either.

At least it's a less expensive, basic package Tahoe!

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    SUVs are standard personal security vehicles nowadays and I imagine he and Bobb have had plenty of threats made against them.

Seriously, this guy is an ex-GM higher up - he doesn't need the school district to get an SUV and he isn't going to financially gain much, relative to his GM position, from the EFM job.

Some people just want to stir the shit.

If people aren't willing to allow him an SUV for safety's sake then the entire DPS police aren't needed either.
    I pretty much agree. Unless there is a pattern of overspending this is small potatoes.
    I'm sure WXYZ investigated this guy thoroughly and if this is the worst they could find on him he looks pretty clean.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    I pretty much agree. Unless there is a pattern of overspending this is small potatoes.
    I'm sure WXYZ investigated this guy thoroughly and if this is the worst they could find on him he looks pretty clean.
    Same here. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think this is a big deal.

this guy is an ex-GM higher up - he doesn't need the school district to get an SUV and he isn't going to financially gain much, relative to his GM position, from the EFM job..
    Using that logic, isn't that a pretty good reason that he should have paid for his car? Just playing devil's advocate, Detroit.

Was the car promised to him as part of his compensation package?

Even so, I can see where this sends the wrong message to the public. Besides, as a retired GM executive, he should be able to get a pretty good deal on an SUV on his own.

Kind of bad form.

Yeah, the SUV purchase is not the worse or highest expense it can be argued. At least it's a one time cost allotment... I just hope that there's not a repeat of the 'enterouge' of out of towners with big salaries, and vendors and sub-vendors and consultants to the consultants, and assistants to the assistants, 'hierarchy' merry-go-round.... yah-dah!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-06-11 at 12:52 PM.

Yeah, a Cadillac Escalade SUV would have been a bit much and often stolen anyhow! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    At least it's a less expensive, basic package Tahoe!

That 'option' does seem to emerge doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej
    ...as a retired GM executive, he should be able to get a pretty good deal on an SUV on his own.

In the grand scheme of things the vehicle is not a big deal. However in these times, a good show of support and of shared sacrifice would be not to accept the vehicle. As a matter of fact he should have said " I know I'm making you take 10% cuts I'm going to take a 20% pay cut".

I know its symbolism at best, but it helps the people thats being affected that at least the EFM understands.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    In the grand scheme of things the vehicle is not a big deal. However in these times, a good show of support and of shared sacrifice would be not to accept the vehicle. As a matter of fact he should have said " I know I'm making you take 10% cuts I'm going to take a 20% pay cut".

I know its symbolism at best, but it helps the people thats being affected that at least the EFM understands.
    You've said it all. I can't even share everything I've learned recently about the current situation, but it's pretty frustrating... and sad for the kids and teens of Detroit... and infuriating for those who feel called to work with them. If ever there was a situation that was a shame, it's this one.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post

It's a safety issue as much or more than a perk.

Those of you whining that he should get his own SUV - do you know what personal vehicles he already owns? We're not talking the usual two-bit city political pimp here.

It's a safety issue as much or more than a perk.

Those of you whining that he should get his own SUV - do you know what personal vehicles he already owns? We're not talking the usual two-bit city political pimp here.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20110504/FREE/110509958/former-gm-exec-roy-roberts-wife-give-seven-figure-gift-to-dia-african-american-gallery-to-bear-their-names#

Uhhh...I dont know, but being a GM executive and being that loaded he already should have his own "secure vehicle".

Buy American Guest

Roy Roberts, the Emergency Manager of Detroit Public Schools, appointed by our Governor said, "the world have changed".

Yes Roberts, "the world have changed" [[learn some basic proper English) and it's getting more and more expensive to live out there. Teachers don't deserve the tremendous cuts in pay and increases in health care costs; they don't deserve to have their union contracts voided because of budgets. Most teachers use their own money to supplement classroom costs yet no one out there seems to care much about that do they. No security for the teachers but plenty for this suit and tie.

I've never, EVER, felt the need for protection [[security) in DPS. Yes, it helps to have the presence of security in the schools but, personally, I've never felt the need. What, exactly, does Roberts [[or anyone else, for that matter) need protection from? I am certain that most people wouldn't recognize him if he were to smack them in the face. Bobb came in to our school once and no one really recognized him. If those in charge of other larger urban districts can drive around in their personal vehicle, then why can't those in charge in DPS?

Appearances matter during tough times, right LilPup?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast