Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit's Faygo

Default Faygo Lovers Club

Hey, it was done for Velvet Peanut Butter...

So, now calling all Faygo fans...

Anyone know where to get the 3 liter bottles? How about the glass bottle 6 packs?

Also, whats your favorite place to get crazy flavors? There are about 50 of them, but usually I just see the top 5... My latest search is for Black Raspberry and Creme Soda [[not Vanilla)...

I rarely see the 3 liters, but have seen them at biglots before.
    The 6 pack glass I haven't seen at all this year.
    Most of the places I go to seem to not have rock n rye in the last few months.
    Top five for me would be

Rock N Rye
    Red Pop
    Rootbeer
    Ice tea
    Grape

3 liters can be found at Dollar Tree, usually orange, red pop, and root beer I believe.

The six packs in bottles were available last time I was in Pure Detroit in the Guardian building...and their location up in the Fisher too, I'm sure.

I am a fan of SUGAR-sweetened Faygo...and an enemy of High Fructose Corn Syrup poisoned Faygo...so if we could perhaps make a distinction I will be happy!

They are NOT the same stuff, not by any measure even into imagination.

Cheers

Rock-n-Rye floats were great.

My primary was Creme Soda though. Haven't found that in eons.

What was the other brand where you could mix 'n match individual bottles to make a case? They were located in what seemed to be vacant store fronts. No decor at all, hardly even any lights. Cases were stacked everywhere, all kinds of weird flavors. You picked up the wooden case when you went in and brought back the case and the empty bottles on your next trip.

Any flavor Faygo is fine with me, but I don't care for the Obama Punch.

I should again mention the admirable passion of John Nese. Faygo is mentioned.

Obsessives: Soda Pop - CHOW.com

To order soda: Galcos Soda Pop Stop

John Nese is the proprietor of Galcos Soda Pop Stop in LA. His father ran it as a grocery store, and when the time came for John to take charge, he decided to convert it into the ultimate soda-lovers destination. About 500 pops line the shelves, sourced lovingly by John from around the world. John has made it his mission to keep small soda-makers afloat and help them find their consumers. Galcos also acts as a distributor for restaurants and bars along the West Coast, spreading the gospel of soda made with cane sugar [[no high-fructose corn syrup if John can avoid it).

Meddle, I think you're thinking about Town Club Pop. The kind of place where you wouldn't be surprised to find liver and onions flavor. On the sugar vs corn sweetner thing, I wish I could tell the difference because I like the high-minded idea of cane sugar over some test-tube concoction but I'm afraid my tastebuds betray my moral rectitude, for I can't tell the difference.

Yeah, Town Club, that's it.

Jimaz, while Galco's is great[[the robbery scenes from "Reservoir Dogs" was shot across the street, and Obama's alma mater is a brisk walk up the hill) I should point out BevMo! carries Faygo & all the oddball pop brands too;
    http://www.bevmo.com/Misc/StoreLocator.aspx?area=stores

Gnome, you must be numb.

It is not only the richness of the taste, but the 'texture' of the fluid. HFCS stuff is thin and harsh and the taste is limited.

I'd go double-blind on this to prove it.

Did MANY a non-blind taste test with strangers at the deli when we started carrying the Mexican Coke product...and every single time they were converted to the REAL product, not the chemically modified one! So, yeah, you scientific folks will say my enthusiasm skewed the results, and I cannot argue against that premise. But ONLY if you allow that the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle fucks up ALL experiments anyways, not to mention that weird double-slit test that proved a MAJOR fundamental behavior change in electrons when they are observed.

Cheers

Is the real sugar Faygo only available in the glass bottles?

Absolutely yes.

I <3 Creme Soda

Wasn't it spelled Towne Club?

Ravine Guest

Towne Club, yes.

Where was Towne Club? I remember going there with my grandparents. Was it on Greenfield?

They were all over towne.

Ahem.

I've been picking up six packs of glass bottles/real sugar Faygo at Merchants Fine Wine in west Dearborn. I prefer root beer and orange.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Meddle, I think you're thinking about Town Club Pop. The kind of place where you wouldn't be surprised to find liver and onions flavor.
    Another chain was in the area too called the Whistle Stop Pop Shop. It was very similar to the Towne Club stores.

There was Grillo's [[Grilli's?) on the east side too. My dad preferred them.
    I thought the liver and onion and gravy flavored pop was more current than Towne Club. Isn't it Jone's Soda Co.?

I remember Towne Club as the nasty-tasting cheapo stuff. The non-HFCS Faygo is still great.

I love Faygo Rock&Rye and Red Pop. As for Towne Club we got that pop more than anything. Just saw a commercial for it on You Tube. My memory gets a jolt when threads like this pop up.Whistle Stop pop shop had a store on Joy Rd near Stahalin back in the 70's. I would go there with my folks and my Grandma.

Anyone remember the name of the drink they served at the Top Hat hamburger joints? I think it was a mix of Faygo flavors and Vernors.

I really like Faygo Rock and Rye. A big weekend night when I was a kid [[1960s) was sitting at the dining room table in our NW Detroit [[7&Evergreen) house, playing board games with my folks and getting to have Faygo Rock and Rye and Better Made potato chips. There was pop drinking during the week then, at least in our house.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast