ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Chrysler Recalling 367,000 Minivans a Second Time

If you've got one better turn it in...

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/money/auto_n...vans-recalled-

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    If you've got one better turn it in...

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/money/auto_n...vans-recalled-

Isn't this where all of the "buy American" crowd is supposed to tell us how great the quality on American cars is and that anyone who buys a "foreign" car is causing the downfall of the US?

Seems its not just the American auto makers with problems.

Those good old Japanese companies seem to be having issues as well: http://detnews.com/article/20110805/AUTO01/108050393

Tit for Tat. Those good ol' imports also have a history. Sorry, UAW bashers.

I think this recall rash is specific to Chrysler this time and many factors are involved. I wonder if the Town and Country models are involved, IMO they've had so many problems...

I've owned American and used Japanese cars but you could not give me a Chrysler product. Just not put together well unless your dealing with their trucks and Jeeps which are pretty solid...

But the vans and sedans, from what you can just see with your bare eyes relative to their sedans [[droppy bumpers, gaping seams, rubber gaping out of the light housings, rattles and funny sounding engines). Poor fit and finish overall and premature problems... I'd love me a 'Buick' any day... I've riden in Chrysler 300's -- not the greatest ride or feel.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-05-11 at 05:19 PM.

^^^^ Yep, Toyota just had their meltdown in the recall arena. Cars in general are more disposable than before. I just try to pick the model with the best durability and safety rep. least stupid stuff like weak drive trains/ premature brake wear.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-05-11 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^^ Yep, Toyota just had their meltdown in the recall arena. Cars in general are more disposable than before. I just try to pick the model with the best durability and safety rep. least stupid stuff like weak drive trains/ premature brake wear.
    Sorry but you're wrong. New cars have far fewer quality problems than at any time in history. Every quality study being produced backs this up. Cars are becoming safer and are getting far too expensive to be more disposable.

The cars being built today will outlast any previous generation of vehicle. Even the worst vehicle being built now far outpaces the best vehicles built even 5 years ago. The quality problems seen now are nowhere near as severe as previous generations of vehicles. Most new vehicle problems occurring now are with the F'd-up navigation and entertainment systems.

Recalls will come more often and be much more visible since Toyota was whacked with the large NHTSA fine for not recalling it's cars soon enough. There is also legislation in process that will greatly increase the amount of the fine for not issueing a recall soon enough.

So while the number of problems is actually decreasing, the number of recalls will go up due to the new legislation and Toyotas issues with recalls.

Point well made. I was speaking of the cheaper small-low end jobs - I would name a few but that will cause a whole new argument from some for those I'd list or those I'd omit in someones opinion [[US and Foreign)! ROTFL!

Talk to technicians, they will tell you the disposable junk that's out there. And their low pricing in the used market for the short duration they are there, proves the point.

People are keeping their cars longer too. I know I do....

So you're right cars are made to last longer -- I should know I am a used car buyer and seek the cars that hold up over the long haul.

Heck they cost enough so they should last!

Unlike the WXYZ story, this one in the News actually has some information....

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-air-bag-issue

Ford had a similar issue with air bags earlier this year.

You're absolutely correct NDavies. I will also add that the defects seen between companies is to minimal now that the average buyer wouldn't even have an idea there is a small issue. It is publications like Consumer Reports that go over vehicles with a fine-toothed comb and report issues or defects.

As an aside the Town and Country and Minivan took #1 and #3 as the best built vans according to publication above.

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Isn't this where all of the "buy American" crowd is supposed to tell us how great the quality on American cars is and that anyone who buys a "foreign" car is causing the downfall of the US?
    Your post gets an AA+.
    What could sending money to Asia that we borrow from Asia have to do with our economic issues?
    Honda Civic is a great car!

Chrysler cant make a van? They revolutionized the van market and haven't looked back. The new Honda van is the biggest monstrosity in terms of style. Sliding door and window look hideous.

Name:  honda.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  30.6 KB

I love my 2006 Grand Caravan, but it has many more issues than my 2003 Toyota. The engine is great,the ride is smooth, but the car has so many little bugaboos that I doubt I would ever buy another one.