Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Metro Airport Shuttle Restrictions

The company I work for is looking to have it's conference downtown. We just learned that Metro Airport restricts hotel shuttles to a one mile radius around the airport.

This is pretty damn inconvenient. Why can't downtown hotels run shuttles to Metro? I mean, I can think of a few interested parties who would like to keep it this way, but is there an official line?

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The company I work for is looking to have it's conference downtown. We just learned that Metro Airport restricts hotel shuttles to a one mile radius around the airport.

This is pretty damn inconvenient. Why can't downtown hotels run shuttles to Metro? I mean, I can think of a few interested parties who would like to keep it this way, but is there an official line?
    The Metro Cars lobby, I bet.

The only reason it's there is to protect the contracted transportation companies monopoly. I'm sure it's baked into Metro Cars contract with the airport. It adds value to the contract. It Allows the airport to charge more for that contract.

Just our wonderfully interconnected, borderless metropolis at work again.

I do a lot of travel for work, and I can't say I've ever seen a hotel more than a few miles from an airport offer a complimentary airport shuttle. Definitely not any 18-20 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    I do a lot of travel for work, and I can't say I've ever seen a hotel more than a few miles from an airport offer a complimentary airport shuttle. Definitely not any 18-20 miles away.
    It'd probably be a pretty big sell for downtown hotels if they were able to provide shuttle service, considering how lacking the public transit is between downtown and the airport. Visitors to Detroit really only have two options: 1) an expensive ass cab/livery car ride or 2) an expensive ass car rental.

Believe it or not, there is a bus that goes from downtown to metro, by a very slow, circuitous route, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    The only reason it's there is to protect the contracted transportation companies monopoly. I'm sure it's baked into Metro Cars contract with the airport. It adds value to the contract. It Allows the airport to charge more for that contract.
    I am totally opposed to exclusive contracts. There should be at least 3 un-connected limo/car companies providing service there and any hotel/motel/hospitality company should be able to provide free service if they choose to.

I remember when you used to able to do that virtually to/from any hotel downtown in the mid 90s. You could even do it if you weren't staying at the hotel for a fee. Why this convenience went away still leaves me shaking my head.

It's all about the money.

SMART bus 125 [[Fort Street) runs to/from DTW from downtown. I regularly take it during the winter time. [[The rest of the year I ride a motorcycle. Gotta travel light.)

Nonetheless, our airport transportation is a disgrace. Taxis or Metro Cars are really the only non-city bus options. Follow the money: airport parking makes DTW money. Contracts with Taxis and Metro Cars also make money.