Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bill Bonds: He's ba-ack!

[[Taken from www.allaccess.com)

Iconic Detroit local TV news anchor Bill Bonds will pair up with another veteran TV anchor, Rich Fisher, to host a new daily afternoon talk show on WCAR-AM. "The Bonds and Fisher Show" will launch on October 3 and will be co-hosted by former WJR producer Rachel Nevade, with WWJ-TV Meterologist Jim Madaus on hand for weather reports.

“Once this radio television business bites you, you stay bit," said Bonds, who was one of the market's most well-known media figures from his long run at WXYZ-TV. "I can’t wait to start working with two talented pros who love the business. Michigan and Detroit are faced with tremendous challenges and we’ll be asking tough honest questions, looking for some honest, logical answers that make sense. I am anxious to get started and it’s great to be back in the mix."

Fisher, also a former WXYZ-TV anchor also seen on WJBK-TV and WKBD, added, “I’m really looking forward to working with Bill again. It’s going to be a lot of fun and there’s always something new with Bill.”

Ah yes, the return of Bill Bonds. I don't even know where the station is on the dial, but I'm looking forward to listening to ol' Bill again.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Ah yes, the return of Bill Bonds. I don't even know where the station is on the dial, but I'm looking forward to listening to ol' Bill again.
    Me too! I'm guessing WCAR has a pretty weak signal, but I think you can get their webstream at www.tunein.com.

According to the freep.com article, WCAR is 1090 AM.

The station has a relatively small wattage of 250 [[day) and 500 [[night) and can be heard in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011080...|Entertainment

I thought he pickled himself years ago?

what will be the political bent of this program, if any?

Fisher was known for his Republican leanings. I don't think you could lump Bonds into any category, he used to go across the board.

I had him and Fieger near me at Red Wing games years ago......glad I moved my seats.

We always looked hoping those two massive egos would collide between periods sometime. lol

9mile&seneca Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JMarx View Post
    Me too! I'm guessing WCAR has a pretty weak signal, but I think you can get their webstream at www.tunein.com.
    I used to listen to WCAR back in the late '60's they played everything from country[[when country was definatly not cool), to Tom Jones. Even Edward Baer "Thinking of You Down in mexico"

Definitely curious as he was quite a character. Just bothered by what Huel Perkins said to him.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Just bothered by what Huel Perkins said to him.
    Care to fill us in?

^^^
    What he said.

Stromberg2

Deep paraphrase, but Bonds was on TV and said something like "...that's what's wrong with you people..." and then Perkins sniped him on the perceived racism, refused to work with him again, and no more Bonds on TV.

Huh? When was this?

As far as I remember, Bonds was off the air back in the early 90s due to his excess drinking. Bonds was on 7, Perkins on 2, so when did they work together?

Bonds was a typical talking head, a classic TV Anchor that had a lot of personal problems, most of them self-imposed.

Perkins always reminded me of a used car salesman that stumbled onto a TV set one day, sat down and took over. I wouldn't trust him if he told me the day of the week while pointing at a calendar.
    Last edited by Meddle; August-06-11 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Huh? When was this?

As far as I remember, Bonds was off the air back in the early 90s due to his excess drinking. Bonds was on 7, Perkins on 2, so when did they work together?.
    After his departure at 7, channel 2 was happy to snap him up. He started out with his own show, I believe it was called Bonds On, or something like that. Then he was an anchor for a short time.

I vaguely remember the incident with Perkins, now that East Detroit has jogged my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    After his departure at 7, channel 2 was happy to snap him up. He started out with his own show, I believe it was called Bonds On, or something like that. Then he was an anchor for a short time.

I vaguely remember the incident with Perkins, now that East Detroit has jogged my brain.
    Bonds On was earlier in his career. Bonds Tonight was the show on Channel 2.