Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."

- Richard Feynman

Maybe it is due the fact that our factories are 'humming' again? In my assembly line days I remember there being several layers of humming. There is always some background hum of the city, led mostly by motor vehicles and tires on pavement. I hear it now. Sometimes those travel great distances and often I can hear the humming of an expressway two miles away or distant rail traffic at night.

When I sit in the 'quiet' of the forest on Belle Isle a constant underlying hum from a chorus of factors emerges. A musician friend of mine and I once speculated as which key it was and I believe he concluded it was C minor.

I also have a degree of tinnitus so things are always humming for me.

I wonder what kind of harmonics are being generated by the new vs old expressway lights [[the round single centered vs the oval double type). Or maybe these new ones are LED and are not generating harmonics that would offset other industrial harmonics.

Seems the whole city is a multi-harmonic instrument that can be affected by individual parts.
    Last edited by East Detroit; August-07-11 at 09:52 AM.

So how did this thread go down from four pages to one page?!

Did you edit THAT much out of it, Lowell?

If not...then what just happened?!

Sincerely,
    John

I took a screenshot of the last post, with four pages listed above it, if anyone wants proof?!

It's still four pages on my PC, Gannon

Curious. Post counts match, too. I don't see anything missing.

Has there been a Firefox update lately that auto-combines pages?! It happened in a flash, as I attempted to create the post. Never saw it before.

Thanks, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    That's not true. Everything CAN be explained and several explanations have been discussed here, but some choose to believe the far out.
    Everything can be explained in your world?

I guess that is why your curiosity atrophied, then.

As did your intellectual honesty...meddler.

You have not ever brought anything of value into any thread that I can remember...

I see four pages, 25 on each page. Post 76 starts page 4.

Vox Guest

Power transformers tend to hum, a lot. No mystery there. So do many other things in the unnatural world. But, some people are bound and determined to validate their skewed worldview and persona to insist that all of this is some sort of conspiracy, even down to the forum itself. Scrubbed? Edited? One would only wish.

Yeah. Simple observation...from one who's had stuff on the internet vanish. You can judge however you wish, Keyboard-man.

As for the other one...Trains are very distinctive, as are the diesel sounds of the freighters. They do not run continuously, they occur periodically. The trains waiting at the Chrysler plant between Mack and Jefferson are easily identified, too.

The 60-cycle hum of the AC grid is usually not an issue with me, but sometimes motors and speakers can send that tone into a closed space...again, easily identified...and when experimenting can be turned off at the main breaker of the AC system in the home.

This tone is unique and distinct from all of that. There IS no logical explanation for it, although you will continually hear vague reasons easily proven wrong. The hum is nearly ubiquitous, around the Earth, or at least those areas using 60-cycle AC timing...I haven't heard complaints from Europe. In some areas, it is quite strong...and the only commonality I believe they share is proximity to bedrock...because that is one of the few things which may reflect the wavelengths we're talking about.

At that boundary, the energy will be doubled with a reverse-phase to the reflection. In echo chambers, it could be particularly troublesome, which is why I think the salt miners are having difficulty. I don't have a link to it here, but on the Windsor/Essex Hum Facebook page, they have contacted a few of the workers and learned the hum is an issue in the mines.

So, go do your meddling elsewhere...this is real. From the other information I have, including previous knowledge of MK-Ultra testing, the sensitivity of the human EM perceptual 'machine', wave propogation, AND that fellow who worked on the AC purification device for high-end audio and recording studios...it all adds up. I hear this hum. I see what it does to my partner, and have heard about it affecting others similarly. Lucky for me, my emotional response is stunted a bit with Asperger's Syndrome, so I don't suffer the same panics upon waking...only open curiosity.

Shame you cannot have a similar open-ness to discovery, Meddle.

Cheers,
    John

There is a large tree not too far from me that I can hear humming as I walk past it. I don't try to conjure up a mystical explanation for it, I just accept that it has a very large bee hive inside it.

So, you don't even BOTHER trying to teach it the words, then?!

For shame...

This thread reminded me of a mysterious problem I had when I was much younger. Every time I was near a television department in a department store I could hear an annoying very-high-pitched squeal. It was just annoying enough to want to leave the area. I never heard it around isolated TVs. I didn't think much of it and assumed everyone else could hear it too. Later I learned I was uniquely susceptible to it.

I don't detect this noise anymore. I suspect due to deteriorating hearing with age and/or advances in TV technology.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else here ever experienced this phenomenon?

I used to be able to hear a television's squeal from the sidewalk in front of a standard wood-frame house.

The scanning frequency is roughly 15,750 Hz...well within young folk's range of hearing, while outside of a well-worn adult set of ears!

Right now, all I hear are cicadas.

Cheers

Gannon,

This is a most interesting thread. I'm 28 years old, a male, I lived in Clawson from 1983 to 2006, and in Warren from then on. We rarely leave the windows open at night.

I have never heard this noise you describe. I do hear the train that's 1.25 miles from my house. I also hear 696 which is 1.5 miles from my house.

The television sound you describe I do hear. It drives me nuts and other people can't hear it. I'm unable to sit behind or to the side of a CRT television because the noise gives me a headache and makes me nauseous. My friends think that I'm crazy because they are unable to hear it.

My wife and I did a hearing test once and the results were quite humorous. High frequency sounds would bring hear to her knees, but I was literally deaf to them.

Back to your original subject, this mystery noise, I feel that it's most likely some large industrial equipment producing low frequency noises that travel long distances, but I don't summarily dismiss some of the speculations here.

Out of curiosity, do you remember whether or not you heard the noises during the great blackout of 2003?

I am rather curious of all this!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    This thread reminded me of a mysterious problem I had when I was much younger. Every time I was near a television department in a department store I could hear an annoying very-high-pitched squeal. It was just annoying enough to want to leave the area. I never heard it around isolated TVs. I didn't think much of it and assumed everyone else could hear it too. Later I learned I was uniquely susceptible to it.

I don't detect this noise anymore. I suspect due to deteriorating hearing with age and/or advances in TV technology.
    I'm 37 and I still hear that around TVs, though not as much with the flatscreens. On my LED-based TV I hear it when the backlight kicks on.

In high school I used to be able to tell if anyone had turned on one of those "TV carts" anywhere in the building. I'd hear the TV come on, plain as day.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaho View Post
    I'm 37 and I still hear that around TVs....
    Well, I guess we're not alone after all. That's nice to know. Different strokes for different folks!

The only hum I ever experienced was at an Oriental Health Spa. Didn't bother me a bit.

Kinda relaxing too.

This thread reminded me of a mysterious problem I had when I was much younger. Every time I was near a television department in a department store I could hear an annoying very-high-pitched squeal. It was just annoying enough to want to leave the area.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else here ever experienced this phenomenon?
    It's well known enough that there's a device from the UK that exploits this exact phenomenon to drive away teenagers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

Well, I guess we're not alone after all. That's nice to know. Different strokes for different folks!
    Oh I definitely remember that. Though if the same televisions were set up today you should be able to hear that sound, even as hearing fade as we get older

I had this problem in my apartment where I thought my 14th floor neighbor was playing music too loud. Sounded like laughing and listening to music videos. I went upstairs but when I reached their door I couldn't hear anything. Same with the apartment below.

I was reminded by my landlord the walls and floors are too thick to transmit sound and it was probably something in my apartment. Sure enough my subwoofer was picking up radio transmissions from the John Hancock Tower across the street, muffling it to sound like it was coming from another apartment. I ended up removing unused wiring that ran the perimeter of the apartment and by the speaker and the problem went away.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    No one, of course, should see humor in someone's suffering. But, So many people claiming on this thread to hear humming is nothing more than mass hysteria. There is no humming. Some people hear voices in their heads which tell them to do strange things. There are no voices. Those things may exist in one's mind but they are not real. Maybe some need medical attention of a different type - say, psychiatry, rather than sleeping medication to get through the night.

Just because one goes into great detail about basic electronics as an explanation for the alleged phenomenon lends no credibility at all to the theories of the origin of the alleged "humming."

Those persons afflicted with tinnitis [[sp?) are surely suffering because of noises in their heads [[I knew someone so afflicted) but that does not mean there are actual noises that can be heard by others.

Regardless of the origins of the hum, the fact is that several people have heard this sound and it has a negative effect on well-being. I have heard it ever since I moved to Detroit, and I know for a fact that it is not because I am delusional. The sound is clearly heard in some areas and not in others.

I always wrote it off as being related to sounds traveling through the concrete of highway systems, etc. that somehow traveled through and was magnified by large buildings. Regardless, it has prevented me from sleeping and it does seem to be the source of some pretty disturbing nightmares. The sense of anxiety that I have personally felt when hearing this hum is definitely not made up or the result of mass hysteria because I have never even heard of any phenomenon known as "the hum" until I saw John's post about it on this forum. The negative effect that it has on those that can hear it SHOULD cause some concern. This sound has made me feel so anxious on occasions that I felt like I was about to start hallucinating. I would like to add that the sound is more prominent after a heavy snow. I forgot to mention that earlier, but the snow seems to definitely magnify this sound.

I wouldn't be so willing to discount John's ideas about it possibly being the result of some sort of top secret conspiracy. I find it hard to understand why you are so eager to trust our government and military. It wouldn't be the first time that they experimented on the public,
    Last edited by epiphany; August-08-11 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The only hum I ever experienced was at an Oriental Health Spa. Didn't bother me a bit.

Kinda relaxing too.

hehe...nice.

Somewhat on topic, I too hear the high pitched sound around certain TV's. It's enough to drive you insane if you're around it for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I'm beyond that fear...if anyone wants to call me crazy, that diagnoses will be very welcome.

Low frequency sounds travel a very long distance, if they have enough energy behind them.

The Navy tested ELF tickling of the entire Earth, with that ELF array in the UP [[and later I learned they did a backup in Northern Wisconsin as well)...but they apparently had to stop the experiment. The Resonance of the Earth changed enough to keep them from using it with those grids...look up the Schumann Resonance for more information on that phenomenon. I have no proof it changed yet...but it has been 7.83 Hz since it was first discovered during WWI.

But the Navy was using the resonance of the Earth to signal deep-diving nuclear subs on the other side of the planet...in a twelve-character per second form of coding, not unlike Morse code...since the medium wouldn't pass distinct signals any quicker. They had an echo...

Sincerely,
    John
    I was just at the old ELF line yesterday [[SW of Marquette, in Ely township/Republic) . I have property about 1/3 mile south of one of the lines. They took everything out about 4 years ago and now its just a 150 yard wide path that goes for miles. Its starting to see some trees grow into the area now. If you want to look into such technologies read about what they are doing in Alaska now.

That hum is called the electric hum. It produces a middle 'C' hum and gives out over 60 decibels. Mechancal machines produces this electric hum when disturbed by oxygen molecules and a spread out and expandes to any area before ti dissipates by means of inverse square law.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast