Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Robocop Statue?

Default Robocop Statue?

Friends from out of town are visiting and want to know if there is a Robocop Statue in Detroit yet? If so, where is it?

Not that I've ever heard of - but I think that would be really cool if there was one!

There's a movement to get one built. So far they haven't built it yet and I don't know if they're even still planning on it.

http://detroitneedsrobocop.com

Not erected yet, but the project is fully funded and under construction. It will soon be erected in Tech Town on the Wayne State campus in midtown.

I knew it was funded and I believe is being cast somewhere in the Midwest like Missouri or something, maybe Kansas. I thought it was going up across from the MCS though, and Im not speaking of the scrap made robocop erected this past winter.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Now that is just totally cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I knew it was funded and I believe is being cast somewhere in the Midwest like Missouri or something, maybe Kansas. I thought it was going up across from the MCS though, and Im not speaking of the scrap made robocop erected this past winter.
    I remember hearing that Bing wasn't going for that. It would be nice though. The area in front of MCS is perfect for statues or some type of outdoor art gallery.

I hated the idea of the statue but Tech Town is a great fit and this will also bolster WSU's reputation for not being concerned with the thoughts and concerns of actual Detroiters. Smooth move.

Bing has no say in this other than getting a law passed that forbids robocop statues... The land proposed at MCS was owned by the Imagination Station. They had said all along that this was their fall back site if they couldn't get a better one. Tech Town stepped in and gave them a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I remember hearing that Bing wasn't going for that. It would be nice though. The area in front of MCS is perfect for statues or some type of outdoor art gallery.
    Bing just said that public funds weren't going to be used. He has no say what can be erected on private property with private funds.

Ah, thanks for that correction. Still woulda been cool though.

Cross link to previous extensive discussion...
    RoboCop statue in Detroit. I thought this was a joke.

I sent them my $100 several months ago.

Pretty cool!

Has anyone heard anything

I hope they never build one. Robo Cop was a decent cheesy 80's movie but a statue downtown would suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagley View Post
    I hated the idea of the statue but Tech Town is a great fit and this will also bolster WSU's reputation for not being concerned with the thoughts and concerns of actual Detroiters. Smooth move.
    But it's not your money. A group of people wanted and funded it themselves. You don't have to like it personally, but don't make a public issue out of it.

Now go donate $1 million to build a community center because I said so.

they actually got the correct specs/design from MGM ?
    wow, thats very cool.

now if only verhoeven would come back and make some kickass movies.

How's about the metal "Palmer Park" sculpture at Woodward near 6 mile.... it sorta reminds me of an expression of Robocop when you drive by it fast..........

Utterly embarrassing idea to build a sculpture to a cheap, cheesy movie that was deeply insulting to this city just to attract a few tourists.

Im down with Robocop. I think its fun. We should be able to laugh at ourselves a little even if we are Detroiters.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Im down with Robocop. I think its fun. We should be able to laugh at ourselves a little even if we are Detroiters.
    This.

Come on now people.

It was an awesome movie!

I liked the part where the bad guy fell in a vat of toxic waste and came out with his skin dissolved.

My daughter lived in a building in Chicago on the park where the giant eyeball spent about a year. There were hoards of tourists almost all the time. Protests also from religious groups running around loin cloths and ancient Shepard outfits. It will bring in tourists.

They'd need Rob Bottin's permission I'm pretty sure he owns the copyright on the design...and given he's off the radar right now that could take awhile. Cool guy tho

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast