Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Random Photos of Detroit

This is from the Detroit News. While I think they want to spotlight their veteran photographer, most of the subject matter of these photos are random shots of Detroit from 50-60 years ago.

http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/ph...tographer0802/

Thanks for sharing. I love street photos and regret how few are seen in the Detroit papers these days. Of course, so few people actually walk anywhere or interact with their surroundings anymore, either.

I also always dug Tony Spina's work, too.

I don't think Bill Rauhauser ever worked for the Detroit News, but he is one of the best photographers to ever work in Detroit. His photos get exhibited in museums all over the world.

Anyone recognize the photo of the two men talking over an old trash receptacle? It's the cover photo of "Grand River and Joy," the recent novel by Susan Messer, whom I believe posts on DYes.

Eric, Im a big fan of Tony Spina also. My Dad sat next to him on a plane once. They talked and my Pop explained that his son [[me) was about to go to college to study photography. I was given his card, in my hand, to call him, Tony Spina, and I faltered. One of my biggest regrets in life.

These photos are great. They remind me of Norman Rockwell's paintings. Classic still life.
    http://www.thebigdetroit.com

Who can identify the Bar in picture #2 and the location of the Fanny Farmer outlet in #12?

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I don't think Bill Rauhauser ever worked for the Detroit News, but he is one of the best photographers to ever work in Detroit. His photos get exhibited in museums all over the world.

Anyone recognize the photo of the two men talking over an old trash receptacle? It's the cover photo of "Grand River and Joy," the recent novel by Susan Messer, whom I believe posts on DYes.
    Thanks, Carey, for mentioning my novel. My publisher and I searched endlessly for the "right" cover image, and I was thrilled when I finally stumbled upon Bill's work. And thrilled also when I tracked him down and found that he was willing to have his photo on my cover. Another part of the story was that when I told him the name of the book, he couldn't believe the coincidence. He said, "I used to sell newspapers on that corner when I was 10 years old." His work is magnificent and rich in story telling.

Cass Tech Grad...
    Isn't the bar the Elmwood bar that used to be at Woodward and ? across from the Fox Theatre? Also, Fanny Farmer was at Woodward and State.

Some of Bill's work will be featured at the Detroit Institute of Arts in this fall's exhibition, "Detroit Revealed," I believe. Should be a great show; it will look at the last ten years of Detroit photography, with some retrospective works, like Bill's, too.