Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Touring the blighted city chic.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/trave...914/story.html

Blame this on a National Post travel writer.

Other than the roll up the windows and lock the doors instructions, I really didn't see anything wrong with the article. It is just about right in most ways.

We can all nitpick some of the dates and food choices but the overall tone of the article is correct.

From most other peoples perspectives this is exactly what they see. Remember folks, most people don't live in a city like Detroit and haven't seen the kind of devestation that is so prominent in this city. To them it is shocking; to us it is just every day living.

DetroitPole Guest

Actually, pretty accurate, and he did do some stuff besides just marvel at the blight. The only part I take issue with:
    "Not far from this intersection is the more notorious stretch of road known as 8-Mile, which quite starkly separates the downtrodden downtown from all of Detroit's functioning, upscale [[and mostly white) suburbs."
    This may have been true a couple decades ago, but Warren and Southfield are by no means upscale, and, along with most of the other border suburbs, have large black populations now. The inner ring suburbs are also suffering from very chilling symptoms - flight, blight, and vacancy - of Detroit's decline.

This basically positive article reminds me of one a couple of years ago by two female journalists from the Guardian, the excellent London-based paper [[that's leading the investigation into Rupert Murdoch's phone-hacking). Those writers also enjoyed Detroit and what it had to offer an adventurous traveler, even as they acknowledged the abandoned look of much of the city and Detroit's scary reputation.

What more do we want? This kind of media attention is helpful. It supports the city's "brand" as an offbeat place to have fun, do art, hear music, save money -- the sort of underground vibe that rings truer than the chamber-of-commerce effort of trying to portray Detroit as some sort of normal tourist destination. It's not a normal tourist destination, yet it is a great place for the traveler with the right mindset.

Steve bennet Guest

Oh god, they even had to give a plug for Slows BBQ. I'm sick of that place being so overrated.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    Oh god, they even had to give a plug for Slows BBQ. I'm sick of that place being so overrated.
    It seems to go beyond just a plug. Early on, it says Detroit is "renowned for its barbeque". Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    This basically positive article
    That's certainly an extremely optimistic interpretation.

I agree completely with Carey.

I get frequent requests for guided tours of Detroit via the Contact Us button, one just today for a group from Ireland. You have seen them show up on this board many times, where I refer many as I know no one knows this place better than the collective mind of this forum. This has many times lead to forum members meeting up with them, showing them around and giving them the big warm welcome the Detroit family is famous for.

Most are in an open-minded search for the offbeat, gritty inner soul of Detroit-Windsor. They don't want to see just the good or just the bad. They want the honest full story. They want the double edge, for lack of a better example, of something like the Eminem Chrysler ad. They know that our metro holds lessons and that there is some special hidden energy that keeps bubbling up inventions, ideas, artists, musicians and more. They want to connect with that vibe.

Iheartthed, do you find the article to be negative or accurate? I find it to be positive and accurate in it's review of the city. No sugar coating, just the basic facts of people who live in real world cities who don't see this type of blight and destruction on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Iheartthed, do you find the article to be negative or accurate? I find it to be positive and accurate in it's review of the city. No sugar coating, just the basic facts of people who live in real world cities who don't see this type of blight and destruction on a regular basis.
    I found it to be condescending, which I guess translates to negative. It was definitely more "laughing at you" than "laughing with you".

I didn't see it that way but I can understand your POV. I wouldn't think they would bother writing an article that is condescending it is a travel article and they chose Detroit to visit. Not like they were choosing NY, Paris or London.

Most shocking thing I picked up was R. Kelly can't do better than the St. Regis?

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I didn't see it that way but I can understand your POV. I wouldn't think they would bother writing an article that is condescending it is a travel article and they chose Detroit to visit. Not like they were choosing NY, Paris or London.
    I guess it is subject to interpretation, but why is it okay to write a travel article by focusing on Detroit's flaws? When travel articles are written about New York the writer doesn't dwell on how much of Manhattan smells like rotting garbage during the summer. When an article is written about London no one focuses on how much the foods sucks. When an article is written about Paris no one focuses on the wealth disparities between people who live within Le Périphérique and those who live outside of it.

The very essence of a travel article is to romanticize a location in order to convince the reader that it is a place worth visiting, not to tell every single truth about it. This was not an attempt to romanticize Detroit at all. I haven't counted the words, but I'm sure there were far more adjectives devoted to Detroit's flaws than to reasons why someone might want to visit. Heck, this article didn't even convince me that a trip there was a good idea, and I visit Detroit at least several times a year!

Steve bennet Guest

I thought the article was horribly written and really dumb. Let's dissect a few examples.

First, if they are interested in Detroit's history and culture, why are they touring it in a Toyota Tercel?

They mention streets "lined with boarded-up pawn shops". I'm sure there are a few abandoned pawn shops in the mix, but where are there entire streets lined with them?

They mention "more than half of the city's council members carry guns". Is this really true? I have never heard this. Where did they get this information?

They also say that Detroit is "now poised to become the site of the great American resurrection". Right......

"The Heidelberg Project, which involves covering an entire downtown street in shoes, stuffed animals and multi-coloured polka-dots [[it's art);r", The Heidelburg Project is located off Mt. Elliot, which isn't downtown. The shoe project, was located near Bursh Park, still not downtown. It wasn't even the whole street, just the far end near Woodward.

Then they mention running into R. Kelly, and partying with his groupies. Seeing is how R. Kelly is more famous for urinating on 14-year-old girls [[and filming it) than his music, is this something to brag about?

They mention going to American Coney Island. Why would they do that when Lafayette is right next door?'

After mentioning Slow's and MCS, they say "Not far from this intersection is the more notorious stretch of road known as 8-Mile". Ummm, 8-mile isn't anywhere near Corktown. Are you kidding me?

I didn't finish the rest, I couldn't take it anymore.

In addition to the above wtf is up "lock the door and roll up the windows"?

You're telling me as soon as you cross from Eastointe Warren or Ferndale you have to worry about roving mobs or biological attacks.

This is why I have such huge Goddamn problem with the media.

Yes Detroit has problems.
    Yes they're much more severe and acute than other big cities.

But when you excaggerate to such an extent for such a long period of time you just start tuning things out. "Truth" can be molested and warped so much it's criminal.

I question the "five-hour drive" statement from Montreal. I've driven from Detroit to Montreal. It's more like 10-12 hours, depending whether or not you have kids. It's a four-five hour drive to Toronto.

As far as the rest of the article, it's another "Detroit Renaissance" theme. I consider the current "renaissance" the umpteenth one in the 30 of my 53 years around metro Detroit. Other than for short stints in Santa Monica, CA, Rochester, NY, Minneapolis, MN, and spells in Rochester and Grand Blanc, MI., I've been a Detroiter all my life. Until city government, community organizations, and residents, take a hard line and address the real issues confronting this city, i.e., lawlessness, inept city services, slumlords, an undereducated workforce, stiffling poverty and a culture of severe entitlement by some residents, but not all, then the continued segmentation of city residents by income, education, and location will continue. Do I have to live in Palmer Woods or the University District to get adequate city services? Will it take the police 14 hours to respond to the burglary of my video game business in SW Detroit? If I don't live in what Charlie LeDuff calls the "silk stocking area" of Midtown and downtown where private corporations and foundations are spending large sums of taxpayer money [[and city government is give huge subsidies to attract development, i.e., Whole Foods) should I do without?

Excuse my rant, but I'm just fed up. I've spent way too much time defending Detroit and its spent way too little time giving me a reason to do so.
    Last edited by speaknow; August-03-11 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spell checking

They may have some details wrong, but for not being lifelong Detroiters, the impression they give is useful for other possible tourists. Most of Metro D, even much of the 'safe' parts, has very little sense of place or destination. No terminating vistas, few streetwalls, very little in the skyline for dead reckoning. Grey parking lots, deep setbacks, lowrise grey strip malls, overcast. This is just what a 'Motor' town should look like in the midwest.

Then when you cross into the city proper and add the Omega Man patina to the mix . . .it's very easy to get the impression that nothing is happening AND you're going to die. Of course, if you have a guide and/or know which stones to turn over there's tons to do. But Detroit and the surrounding metro often give the impression that you should just keep driving.

They even ackowledged they'd probably blend in better with a domestic car. Besides paying some fealty to our cargo cult, would driving a comparably sized ride like the Chevy Sonic helped anything?

They really didn't go any different than where I mostly hear of tourists going; up Woodward and around downtown and to MCS. The 1st paragraph gave me the impression they'd go up Grand River or drive along Van Dyke. Nevada and I-75 to Highland Park would seem like an appropriate drive. Maybe drive into River Rouge or something. Just some place un-touristy.

I felt the article was just over-generalizing the city which is something most people who never visit Detroit do anyway. Also, I don't know if it's just me, but do Canadians have a bigger fascination with Detroit than Americans? Maybe it's the French connection...

speaknow / I question the "five-hour drive" statement from Montreal. I've driven from Detroit to Montreal. It's more like 10-12 hours, depending whether or not you have kids. It's a four-five hour drive to Toronto.
    Yes, the story was written by a Toronto based writer. The article is a reprint along the newspaper chain. So that part is factual.

I dont doubt some of her observations speak of a certain truth, but the language is often the same old tired smug levity. Her friend needed to drag her to Detroit, she nonchalantly tags along, half interested, except to paint lame broad strokes about the place. The article belongs to a certain type of story that really is not that open to discovery at all. Everything about it is OMG!!! Where is the exit?

Hah! You made some good points. Yeah do they even make Tercels any more? Just slumming it I guess... for sake of being 'down' for visiting de' hood! LOL! If your going Toyota at least go for a Camry! LOL! Or maybe they were throwing a dig at the US car market issues here ala Motown? I dunno.....

And the pawn shops? Actually they're mostly thriving as a response to the fiscal hardship met to those who cross their doors or the person looking for a bargain [[rare to find). But they do have good layaway plans and gold appreciating as it has may increase in value as you pay over the months [[personal experience on that).

Yes, a few council persons carry, but so what? Many citizens do to or at least have something in their home should they need it.... and they are not NRA devotees either.

Downtown? To outsiders, WSU/ New Center and Midtown is downtown. LOL! They just don't get it. And the R-Kelly comment is just chatty-kathy, non-relevant, condescension to the hip-hop crowd. Like 'keepin' it real" for referencing an assumed favorite entertainer amongst the "peeps"! Who of course know what current music is without the need of a dated reference about a creep.

'Smug levity' as Canuck stated. Just surface stuff and they really need a map! The Slows BBQ comment is typical and tidy reference for the more commercial BBQ not that it is not good. But Milts on the east side if far superior, but you'd have to really get into the hood to find that gem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    I thought the article was horribly written and really dumb. Let's dissect a few examples.

First, if they are interested in Detroit's history and culture, why are they touring it in a Toyota Tercel?

They mention streets "lined with boarded-up pawn shops". I'm sure there are a few abandoned pawn shops in the mix, but where are there entire streets lined with them?

They mention "more than half of the city's council members carry guns". Is this really true? I have never heard this. Where did they get this information?

They also say that Detroit is "now poised to become the site of the great American resurrection". Right......

"The Heidelberg Project, which involves covering an entire downtown street in shoes, stuffed animals and multi-coloured polka-dots [[it's art);r", The Heidelburg Project is located off Mt. Elliot, which isn't downtown. The shoe project, was located near Bursh Park, still not downtown. It wasn't even the whole street, just the far end near Woodward.

Then they mention running into R. Kelly, and partying with his groupies. Seeing is how R. Kelly is more famous for urinating on 14-year-old girls [[and filming it) than his music, is this something to brag about?

They mention going to American Coney Island. Why would they do that when Lafayette is right next door?'

After mentioning Slow's and MCS, they say "Not far from this intersection is the more notorious stretch of road known as 8-Mile". Ummm, 8-mile isn't anywhere near Corktown. Are you kidding me?

I didn't finish the rest, I couldn't take it anymore.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-03-11 at 02:53 PM.

ROTFL at that imagery! Good writing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolfsy View Post
    Then when you cross into the city proper and add the Omega Man patina to the mix . . .it's very easy to get the impression that nothing is happening AND you're going to die.

I feel you. The segmenting you describe is getting more iron clad yet eroding too. The so-called better areas are catching hell too.
    Quote Originally Posted by speaknow View Post
    I question the "five-hour drive" statement from Montreal. I've driven from Detroit to Montreal. It's more like 10-12 hours, depending whether or not you have kids. It's a four-five hour drive to Toronto.

As far as the rest of the article, it's another "Detroit Renaissance" theme. I consider the current "renaissance" the umpteenth one in the 30 of my 53 years around metro Detroit. Other than for short stints in Santa Monica, CA, Rochester, NY, Minneapolis, MN, and spells in Rochester and Grand Blanc, MI., I've been a Detroiter all my life. Until city government, community organizations, and residents, take a hard line and address the real issues confronting this city, i.e., lawlessness, inept city services, slumlords, an undereducated workforce, stiffling poverty and a culture of severe entitlement by some residents, but not all, then the continued segmentation of city residents by income, education, and location will continue. Do I have to live in Palmer Woods or the University District to get adequate city services? Will it take the police 14 hours to respond to the burglary of my video game business in SW Detroit? If I don't live in what Charlie LeDuff calls the "silk stocking area" of Midtown and downtown where private corporations and foundations are spending large sums of taxpayer money [[and city government is give huge subsidies to attract development, i.e., Whole Foods) should I do without?

Excuse my rant, but I'm just fed up. I've spent way too much time defending Detroit and its spent way too little time giving me a reason to do so.

A love letter to Detroit. It's written far better than OP's link and has more pictures. At least we know Detroit appeals to foodies.

http://www.purplehousedirt.com/content/dear-detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I agree completely with Carey.

I get frequent requests for guided tours of Detroit via the Contact Us button, one just today for a group from Ireland. You have seen them show up on this board many times, where I refer many as I know no one knows this place better than the collective mind of this forum. This has many times lead to forum members meeting up with them, showing them around and giving them the big warm welcome the Detroit family is famous for.
    Lowell, I get the ones that have never been on the board...

This month that will include a bus full of Hungarians that I'll be schlepping from the Ford House down Lakeshore/Jefferson, around Belle Isle to the Guardian/Fox Buildings, a People Mover ride, and a photo op with a Comerica Park Tiger statue.

And then there's the PW downtown theatre tours in 2 weeks.

And... possibly a German documentary film crew taken thru the former Michigan Theatre.