Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Can We Wax Poetic? tponetom

Can we wax poetic for a little while?
    Can we let the vitriolic juices vaporize and cool down?
    The cauldron will, again, start boiling, soon enough.

I seldom venture on this side of the Forum fence. I am no longer reasonably informed in the politics and economics of the Circus we call our government. Another phrase might be, “the Arena where the Gladiators perform.

Some of you know where I come from. Coolidge and Hoover were two of my Presidents, but I was too young to understand politics. At the age of 12 and in the year of 1940, I heard my first political discussion/argument between two of our neighbors. One of them referred to President Roosevelt, as “that crippled son of a bitch.” I was too young to understand such vehement hatred.

My generation got the crème de la creme [[a triple play if you will ) with Presidents: Roosevelt, Truman, and Eisenhower.

I think of FDR on the third of every month. [[S. S.) When I was about 8 or 9 years old I began listening to his “fireside chats” with my parents. Of course I did not understand what he was saying, but it was always a soothing experience.

I think of Harry. He had the balls to do what he had to do. “Give them Hell, Harry” was one of a kind.

I think of IKE. He had empathy with the Unions and People. [[There was a 90% top, tax rate, on the wealthy, for awhile, but it got whittled down.) I do not have the specifics of the duration and cancellation of that tax rate.

I think President Obama is a breath of fresh air.

He is not the problem in Washington. Greed and Power rule.

While actually I'm one of the voices too that say the political discourse is too toxic in this country, we have to understand it is human nature for one to always think they are right, should always have their way, their way is in keeping with what God wants, and the other side is always wrong. The good thing about America even if humans still exhibit that thinking is here we usually settle our differences at the ballot box. In other countries differences are settled through violence. I don't think politics will get any better in this country any time soon, let's just be thankful that our politics are still better than most countries.

Quote Originally Posted by tponetom View Post
    Can we wax poetic for a little while?
    Can we let the vitriolic juices vaporize and cool down?
    The cauldron will, again, start boiling, soon enough.

I seldom venture on this side of the Forum fence. I am no longer reasonably informed in the politics and economics of the Circus we call our government. Another phrase might be, “the Arena where the Gladiators perform.

Some of you know where I come from. Coolidge and Hoover were two of my Presidents, but I was too young to understand politics. At the age of 12 and in the year of 1940, I heard my first political discussion/argument between two of our neighbors. One of them referred to President Roosevelt, as “that crippled son of a bitch.” I was too young to understand such vehement hatred.

My generation got the crème de la creme [[a triple play if you will ) with Presidents: Roosevelt, Truman, and Eisenhower.

I think of FDR on the third of every month. [[S. S.) When I was about 8 or 9 years old I began listening to his “fireside chats” with my parents. Of course I did not understand what he was saying, but it was always a soothing experience.

I think of Harry. He had the balls to do what he had to do. “Give them Hell, Harry” was one of a kind.

I think of IKE. He had empathy with the Unions and People. [[There was a 90% top, tax rate, on the wealthy, for awhile, but it got whittled down.) I do not have the specifics of the duration and cancellation of that tax rate.

I think President Obama is a breath of fresh air.

He is not the problem in Washington. Greed and Power rule.
    Come on now, the guy who once characterized those of us who voted for President Bush in 2000 as having a KKK lynch-mob mentality now wants us to "let the vitriolic juices vaporize and cool down"?

Yeah, we know where your are coming from, all right. Spare us your pieties about "vehement hatred".

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Come on now, the guy who once characterized those of us who voted for President Bush in 2000 as having a KKK lynch-mob mentality now wants us to "let the vitriolic juices vaporize and cool down"?

Yeah, we know where your are coming from, all right. Spare us your pieties about "vehement hatred".
    If you read again the [four-year-old] post [that you apparently are still angry about], you will see that the comparison was that those who voted for Bush had a "herd mentality", not a "KKK lynch-mob mentality".

KKK lynchings were also cited as an example of "herd mentality", but so were churches and the Democratic party.

Try reading it again and maybe after four years, let the vitriolic juices vaporize and cool down.

Also, there's a certain decency in being respectful to a man who is in his 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    If you read again the [four-year-old] post [that you apparently are still angry about], you will see that the comparison was that those who voted for Bush had a "herd mentality", not a "KKK lynch-mob mentality".

KKK lynchings were also cited as an example of "herd mentality", but so were churches and the Democratic party.

Try reading it again and maybe after four years, let the vitriolic juices vaporize and cool down.

thank you lady....agree 100%.

I'm not angry, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy, just as the lefty posters here do all the time [[except when it's done from the right the poster gets chided for lacking decency and being disrespectful).

Try reading his 2007 post again and you will see that he did a CYA and cited "churches and the Democratic Party" only after I called him out for citing Bush voters as an example of his definition of "herd instinct":

What is the herd instinct? When a black man was being lynched by a mob, or a woman, accused of being a prostitute, was going to be whipped by the KKK, the people in the middle of the mob were cheering along with the perpetrators. But if they were caught, they disclaimed any participation in the proceedings by saying, “Oh, I was just standing there, minding my own business and I had nothing to do with that mob.”
    Six and a half years ago, the herd instinct took over and put our country in the mess it is in now...
    But now we have that "breath of fresh air" for a President instead of that lynch mob leader and the evil voters who elected him, so let's everybody just wax poetic and cool down the vitriol!

BTW, how old does one have to become before they get a 'free-pass" for their political punditry in the "Non-Detroit" forum? Is it the same age regardless of whether the punditry is from the left or right? Is there a "best if used by" date associated with each of our posts here, after which it in unacceptable to refer to them any longer?

Let's "wax poetic" over some of the Breath of Fresh Air's accomplishments during the first 2 and one-half years of his Presidency:

• 2,000,000 private-sector jobs have been lost.
    • The unemployment rate has increased from 7.8 to 9.2 percent
    • The price of gasoline has more than doubled, from $1.83 to $3.74 per gallon.
    • The national debt has increased 35 percent to $14.5 trillion.
    • National unfunded liabilities have increased 47 percent, to $114.9 trillion.

Yesterday at a campaign fundraiser in Chicago, the Breath of Fresh Air had this to say:

[W]e have made some incredible strides together. Yes, we have. But the thing that we all ought to remember is that as much as good as we have done, precisely because the challenges were so daunting, precisely because we we were inheriting so many challenges, that we're not even halfway there yet.
    I don't think this nation can afford any more "incredible strides" like those I've listed.

What exactly does he mean by "we're not even halfway there yet"? That implies some progress has been made, yet the economic numbers that the electorate knows and feels have all headed in the wrong direction on his watch and are still "under water"!

And does he really think he can successfully campaign for re-election using the "inherited challenges" excuse?

Hey, you voted for Bush. Let's try to understand that Breath of Stinky Air and his mistakes and then we'll move on to understanding Obama. Could you catalog for us Bush's errors as succinctly as you have Obama's? Maybe we can start from there.

Hey, you voted for Bush. Let's try to understand that Breath of Stinky Air and his mistakes and then we'll move on to understanding Obama. Could you catalog for us Bush's errors as succinctly as you have Obama's? Maybe we can start from there.
    Yeah, twice - but instead of trying to thread-jack and change the subject to President Bush, why don't you start your own thread on his accomplishments?

Getting back on subject, here's another bit of poetry from the Breath of Fresh Air: "days, not weeks!"

That's how long he told Congress and the American public back in March
    that our "kinetic military activity" in Libya would last. If he knew what he was doing, he would never have given an estimate in the first place, but here we are four and one-half months later and the increasingly inept NATO-led bombing continues, with not much to show for it other than a lot of Libyan deaths. Nobody seems to care how many "boots on the ground" the US has in Libya or how many US Air Force bombing sorties there are each week. It will probably take a US death before this continuing "kinetic military activity" gets the public debate it deserves.

Getting back on subject? I think it's more a matter of getting back to your threadjack. The true subject was "waxing poetic" and "letting the vitriolic juices vaporize and cool down".

I find it so amazing that people saw what Bush did from 2000 to 2004 and still voted for him again. Given that you are self-admittedly in that category, I find your attack on Obama absurd, that you can identify his errors with a laser-like focus, but seemingly turned a blind eye to what Bush was doing.

If I'm wrong and you did openly criticize Bush for his mistakes, please link to your old posts [[back in 2004 or so) where you did that [[since you have such a mastery of the archives).

I am all for identifying what the problems are, and I am not for giving the President a free pass. But I believe in equal opportunity identification of problems, not just focused in one direction. Otherwise, your attack just comes across as biased.

There is just something about religion and politics the two areas that makes people go bonkers.
    I was told to avoid discussing those two subjects as a young child many moons ago unless you wanted to get into a fight or worst.

When it comes to those two subjects I don't think the vitriolic juices have or ever will die down.

Just a side note, I completely agree with you [Mikeg] on the debacle that is the invasion of Libya -- I think it was a grave mistake, and is completely unconstitutional as it was done without congressional authority, so I want it to be clear that that is not what I find absurd.

I just find it incredible the different standard that is applied to Obama, that was not applied to Bush. [[Or maybe it was, hence my asking for the old posts.)

MIkeg
    I cannot joust with you because my 20 pound lance is too heavy for me to lift.
    I only have a question for you. Why do you bother to read my posts?
    [[I am delighted that you do.) That is not sarcasm.
    I have learned much from my naysayer’s. I will not argue or debate with them, but I will discuss anything with them.
    It is very easy to read a post and then, twist and distort the rationale that the author intended.
    I love writing schmaltzy stories. The popular interpretation of the word, schmaltz, is, from Webster’s Dictionary: a. : extremely sentimental music b : a sentimentalism in artistic expression c : something notably florid or showy of its kind.
    HOWEVER, it is of Yiddish origin, schmalts, and it means ‘rendered fat’.
    And finally, in slang, it means rendered fat of poultry.
    So if someone asks you if you would like a “schmalts” sandwich, beware!

When we were kids in the ‘Thirties,’ a lard sandwich, with a little salt and pepper, was considered to be a treat. Yes, just plain lard!

“Herd Instinct” What is so awful about that phrase? Again, from Webster’s:
    : An inherent tendency to congregate in unison. esp. a theoretical human instinct towards gregariousness and conformity.

I <3 Tponetom

gaz,
    "l <3 Tponetom" ???? I don't have a clue!

Quote Originally Posted by tponetom View Post
    gaz,
    "l <3 Tponetom" ???? I don't have a clue!
    <3 is a heart, sideways -- she's saying "I love tponetom"