Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Emancipation Day Celebrations in Windsor & Canada

File this one in the 'learn something interesting everyday' file...

I was watching the CBC Windsor News on 9 tonight and they had an item on Emancipation Day in Canada, which is a holiday. A small ceremony was held before the Windsor Underground Railroad monument today. The holiday celebrates the abolition of slavery in the British Empire, and hence Canada which was a part of the Empire, on that date in 1834.

In the historical background, Windsor was cited as being famous for holding Emancipation Day rallies in the early and mid 20th Century which attracted tens of thousands of Afro- Americans as well as Afro-Canadians. Huge rallies were held at Jackson Park and large parades marched through the streets of Windsor. Many luminaries, including Martin Luther King and Dorthothy Dandridge among others, attended.

The most amazing note, to me, was that it was cancelled due to 'security concerns' following the 1967 Detroit riots which, of course, would have occurred just prior to the holiday that year. Sound familiar? It would only resumed in 1969, according to this informative site from which the images displayed here are called. However attendance plummeted and the event was move to Amherstberg. It would be 40 years before it returned to Windsor according to the CBC report.

It appears that Windsor lost a very prestigious and lucrative event as a result of the security concern. The current event seemed very diminished by comparison. One would thinkd the city would try to re-energize and promote "The Greatest Freedom Show on Earth".

It is also Emancipation Day in the West Indies where I am from...Which is why Caribana takes place in Toronto on the Saturday before August 1st which is also my Birthday...Happy Birthday to me;...
    Last edited by MidTownMs; August-02-11 at 10:17 AM.

...and a belated happy birthday to you MidTownMs!

Indeed. Cool. [[belated) HBD MidTownMs.

Thanks for the info Lowell. Very few Canadians know that this holiday is in any way related to emancipation. It is not a statutory holiday in most of Canada and was known simply as Civic Holiday to most people in Ontario. In the Toronto area, it's known as Simcoe Day, but few Torontonians even know that Simcoe was the 1st Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada [[generally Ontario), let alone that he abolished slavery long before the British Empire did.
    It's a long stretch from July to Labour Day. Americans should come up with a holiday to break up the summer too. Maybe National Debt Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ...and a belated happy birthday to you MidTownMs!
    Thanks a Bunch....

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Americans should come up with a holiday to break up the summer too. Maybe National Debt Day?
    LOL. We would be on holiday all year if we observed that day!

What struck me about this event was its internationalism, that it drew such huge audience and famous attendees from outside Canada and how it must have filled the coffers of business in Windsor, something that wouldn't hurt to have today.

Ontario and Windsor as a haven for slaves and with its leadership in the abolitionist movement has much to be proud of.

I thought this thread was about Kwame's release from prison.

This year marked another upswing in attendance. Hopefully this celebration comes to full fruition because it really is a great day to celebrate.

The first Monday of August is traditionally known as "Civic Holiday" but most Canadians don't know anything about it. People just figure it was made up by the government to give us an extra long weekend in summer. It's only recognized in certain provinces and it seems to be called something different everywhere you go.

I never heard much about Emancipation growing up in Windsor but I've definitely been hearing more about it in recent years.