Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Places I used to like to go to eat in metro Detroit-Windsor

Have any places that you used to like to go but now have changed?

Good Girls Go To Paris... used to love stopping by on the way to Tigers Games when she had the stand/window. Now that they have expanded, the Park Shelton location tells people 45 minutes+ to wait for a crepe while the two girls seem confused how to make crepes and the ironically bored hipsters sitting inside stare into the abyss. Worse if you dont have an hour for crepes and you were expecting to get parking validated.

Mae's on Woodward... used to love going for brunch, and throw a Faygo into the mix. Now they are so busy that if you walk in they won't acknowledge you and leave it up to you to decide if a seat at the counter is up for grabs, you should wait an unknown amount of time, or you're a jerk not worthy of eye contact.

Multiple experiences at both, I sang high praises on this same forum about both, but now I give up.

Money Tree
    Carls Chop House
    Schweitzers
    Mario's
    Topinka's on the Blvd. & sit in Walter Brigg's booth
    Jim's Garage
    Cappy's on Woodward

They've all changed greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Good Girls Go To Paris... used to love stopping by on the way to Tigers Games when she had the stand/window. Now that they have expanded, the Park Shelton location tells people 45 minutes+ to wait for a crepe while the two girls seem confused how to make crepes and the ironically bored hipsters sitting inside stare into the abyss. Worse if you dont have an hour for crepes and you were expecting to get parking validated.
    Yeah, I've waited about an hour for a crepe once after seeing a film at the DFT, the girl who took our order looked like she was about to rip someone's head off and really bitchy. There needs to be more than 2 girls making the crepes.

Also the other crepe place in town, What Crepe?. My friends and I used to go there went it was the smaller version and there was a waitress there who knew our names and it was quaint and low-key. Now every single yuppie couple and their parents go there. I still love their crepes, though. It was, and I guess still is, a good portion for what you paid...

My wife [[before she became my wife) and I used to eat at a place by her house on Whittier by Dominican HS called Ruby Taboos. It looked like a French cathouse [[as I would imagine they would look like). Used to love the food. Was run by a guy named Victor and his Grosse Pointe maiden wife. Prior to this they used to run The Detroit Natural Foods restaurant on East Warren. Had erratic hours. Seems he didn't like cook some days. Another place I loved was Valkoffs Balkan village on Antionette just north of WSU. They are all closed a long time ago.

Milroy's Fish & Chips

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    Milroy's Fish & Chips
    second....

Slow's- love the food/beer but refuse to wait for it and the carry out joint is too far from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    Milroy's Fish & Chips
    Third. Never had fried scallops better than theirs. I don't even bother ordering it anymore.

Slow's - can never get a seat
    Fishbones - went last week for the first time in a decade; quality terrible, service unbearably slow
    Small Plates - quality has gone down hill

Lindell AC and the place just around the corner on Michigan which was torn down to make way for the People Mover. I want to say Leandy's?? Anybody remember? Also Benny's Diner on E. Warren.

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Slow's- love the food/beer but refuse to wait for it and the carry out joint is too far from home.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I have always had TERRIBLE service at Slows.

DetroitPole Guest

Not so much for the food, but what the hell happened to D'Mongo's? It used to busy, but still low-key and chill and largely a gay bar and virtually all city people. Last time I went the place was full of dude-bro meatheads. It felt more like Troy Buffalo Wild Wings than the Cafe D'Mongo's I used to know.

Becareful what you say about Slows shitty service and agonizingly slow seating. You might be accused of hipster haterdom by the DYes community...

I used to patronize Hellas in Greektown faithfully my entire life until it closed. When I walked out of the front doors for the last time, I cried all the way to the car.

Don't tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I have always had TERRIBLE service at Slows.
    Never really had bad service at Slows, just had a couple occurrences where the waiter or waitress I had was sort of a lowlife...as far as waiting I've only had to wait once, but i've only stopped by a handful of times as I'm not from the area

Miroys of course [[never try to get near there on Fridays with all the Catholics around).

The cafeteria in downtown JL Hudsons made the worlds greatest egg salad sandwiches.

Mayflower Waffle House in downtown.

Lots of great little restaurants and lunch counters in the old Broadway Market.

The Stockholm on E. Jefferson with great Swedish food and a smorgasbord.

All long since gone.

Actually taking a new friend out to eat. Any suggestions for the eastside?

Quote Originally Posted by BRAZZMAN View Post
    Lindell AC and the place just around the corner on Michigan which was torn down to make way for the People Mover. I want to say Leandy's?? Anybody remember? Also Benny's Diner on E. Warren.
    I used to eat at Benny's, it was always busy at lunch, one day I went by there and it was closed, never did reopen.

Mayfield Chop House, it was either on Griswald or Clifford, can't remember. Fantastic food.

Sveden House

Change I hated seeing...

Eph McNally's
    Twingo's
    Agave
    Cafe Zuppa
    Congress
    Fiona's
    O'Leary's
    Cosmic Cafe
    Salvatore Deli
    Duet

We forgetting ice cream sundaes at Sanders?
    My favorite was the one on Houston-Whittier, next door to the Kresgees.

Leandie's. I loved that place.

Brooklyn Street
    Sanders
    Stromboli

Mr. Joe's back in the day

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Becareful what you say about Slows shitty service and agonizingly slow seating. You might be accused of hipster haterdom by the DYes community...
    I was prepared for a backlash, but I'm ready for them.

I left out the part about how overrated and overpriced Slow's is on top of the slow seating and bad service.

I also give those responsible credit for trying to spruce up Roosevelt Park, but those giant wooden letters "R-O-O-S-E-V-E-L-T" are tacky and need to go.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast