Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Caille Brothers Company

From my childhood, one of the things I remember was playing an old slot machine in my grandparents garage. A nickel slot machine, I really knew nothing much about the machine, other than my grandpa had bought it from a place he once worked at, repairing pinball, slot, and jukebox machines. It didn't turn me into some chronic gambler and ruin my life, and at the time, I didn't even have a clue what gambling was.

My grandpa would pass away in 1992, and the slot machine would sit in my grandma's garage for many years, until one day she asked whether I wanted it. Sure, it was a piece that I always thought was cool, and no way I was turning it down. Instead of hauling it up to Detroit, to my apartment, I took it next door to my parents, where it would sit for at least another 10 years or so.

Yesterday, I finally figured it was time to bring it home. I put it in the back of our truck, and to Detroit it went. I knew it needed some work, as it had quit working later on in my childhood, so I knew I'd have to drop some coin to get it fixed.

Today, I emailed a repair shop in Chelsea, MI, ironically, not too far from where I grew up. I was surprised to learn that the slot machine was a 1936 Caille Cadet, manufactured by the Caille Brothers Company in Detroit. The company was originally in Saginaw Michigan, and relocated to Detroit. In addition to my slot machine, the company built 223 machines dating back to 1897. They also built outboard boat motors, which they would later sell off to Sears and Roebuck. At it's peak, the company employed some 500 employees.

I was curious where they were in Detroit, and more importantly, whether the building was still there. I was shocked to find that the building has not only survived, is mere blocks from where my wife works, and blocks from where I patrol at work. In addition, it's probably about 1 mile from where we now live.

From the cornfields outside of Adrian, Michigan, back to within a mile from where it was built, it made an already sentimental piece to me that much more significant. I had estimated the machine to be from the 1950's, judging by the style, and was somewhat surprised to discover it was in fact a 1936.

The older I get, the more I appreciate the older things in life. My milk shakes at home are still mixed by a 1942 Hamilton Beach milkshake mixer, and it works as good as ever, ways a ton, and screams American ingenuity with long lasting quality.

I love watching Pawn Stars, American Pickers, and American Restoration, more than anything, because they take pieces of Americana save them, and often times, restore them.

I often wonder, what will we treasure 25,50, or even 100 years from now? I find it hard to believe that anybody will see value in items bought at Home Depot, made in China, or whoever the next cheap 3rd world country sweat shop that makes the junk we buy for pennies on the dollor. It's sad really, as the collectibility of items made today is basically non-existant, as we've become such a throw-away/recycle it society.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I also have the exact same kind of slot machine. I contacted the repair shop in Chelsea, MI, and they did not have the parts to fix my slot machine. I am still looking.

I got this info from a friend who wanted me to pass this along: They were located on Second at Amsterdam in the Milwaukee Junction area. The building is just north of the Children's Museum.
    Here is a google shot of the site:Caille Slots

Before and after shots of the rehabilitation http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.com/201...-building.html