Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wings are on TV! Channel 9 CBC

Turn those rabbit ears to the south and pull in Hockey Night in Canada.

With 13:04 in the 2nd the score is knotted at Zed, eh.

I'll alert the media!

Stanley Cup Finals bound!!

Again!!

Go Red Wings!!!

The Motor City vs The Steel City, Part II

12 down, 4 to go......

Once we decided we wanted cheaper steel, we pretty much killed Pittsburgh, oh, like 25 years ago. Let's rub their noses in it and beat them up again. How bout in 6?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Once we decided we wanted cheaper steel, we pretty much killed Pittsburgh, oh, like 25 years ago. Let's rub their noses in it and beat them up again. How bout in 6?
    Five - Hossa's ours now.

Anyone else notice the actor Val Kilmer in the audience with a redwings hat on? Whats up with that lol? They pointed him out on CBC.

lilpup Guest

Kilmer's in town shooting a film.

http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/...-45490302.html

Val Kilmer is in town working on a movie, called the Irishmen.

I am sure he just wanted to have some fun and check out "Hockeytown".

Oh thanks. I did a search and came up empty handed

What is with ferret face Bettman scheduling back to back games in the finals? I've been watching hockey for nearly 50 years and this is stupid! Is he and the league trying to hand the Cup to Cindy the kidney? If he wants a Sunday game, why not start the finals on Friday night instead of Saturday afternoon...in the words of Bugs Bunny, "what a Maroon"

Hornist9...

It has to do with TV's Sweeps Week. NBC has an important week of new programming Monday - Thursday, so the network and the NHL had to figure something out. The NHL didn't expect two quick conference finals, and had planned to start the finals on June 5th. The conference finals left them with a decision to make: Start the finals on Saturday with two days rest for the Wings, or start them on June 5th, leaving a week and a half for each team. Friday was never considered as it would have given the Wings only one day off, and the team would have been up in arms.

The NHL undoubtedly made the right choice, as the short wait will keep attention to the game and they won't have to battle an NBA finals straight up. The weekday games will be on Versus and CBC, weekend games on NBC. The back to back Sat/Sun was the only realistic time for the NHL to get games 1 and 2 on non-cable TV in America.

My opinion is that the NHL is once again shooting itself in the foot. If they want to extend their fan base, they should not compete with NBA playoffs. End the season earlier so the playoffs do not coincide, and realign the conferences so that teams like Detroit do not play out west late nights.
    On a positive note, we are fortunate to have the choice between VS and CBC coverage here. I prefer CBC coverage and have noticed that their feed is a second or two ahead of the VS coverage, at least on Comcast. More accurately called live.

We don't have cable, so Versus is out. I don't like the announcers on NBC [[Nothing But Crosby!), and have almost always watched CBC. I've tried watching the better picture on NBC with the sound down and the radio play-by-play, but that broadcast lag time can be annoying.
    It'll be fun to see Bettman grit his teeth again as he awards us the Stanley Cup.

GO WINGS!

They are defending and keeping the cup!

I can't stand VS. They are owned by Comcast. I have WOW Cable, and VS is not part of my cable package. WOW gives me VS for free if the Wings are not on CBC or NBC or another available channel, which is awesome because it's like a big middle finger to Comcast, since that's the only reason I can see paying for the station. Suckas.

Hello Canada and hockey fans in the United States and Newfoundland.

The late great Foster Hewitt

Quote Originally Posted by alsodave View Post
    We don't have cable, so Versus is out. I don't like the announcers on NBC [[Nothing But Crosby!), and have almost always watched CBC. I've tried watching the better picture on NBC with the sound down and the radio play-by-play, but that broadcast lag time can be annoying.
    It'll be fun to see Bettman grit his teeth again as he awards us the Stanley Cup.
    I am in the same boat, don't have cable so no VS. I also tried radio with CBC...couldn't take the delay. This weekend they'll be on NBC but I don't like their broadcasters. My TV is HD so the picture is better on NBC than CBC. Wish I could figure out a way to watch NBC but listen to CBC. Hmm....Run 2 TV's with NBC on mute?....Hmmm....maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I can't stand VS. They are owned by Comcast. I have WOW Cable, and VS is not part of my cable package. WOW gives me VS for free if the Wings are not on CBC or NBC or another available channel, which is awesome because it's like a big middle finger to Comcast, since that's the only reason I can see paying for the station. Suckas.
    Maybe so, but without Versus I'd have to buy the NHL internet package to see the games [[assuming ESPN didn't pick them up again).

Here's the reason for Buttman...It's in the millions of dollars in ri...I mean...The thousands of dollars in ri...Err...Hundreds of dollars in rights? NO RIGHTS MONEY FROM NBC?!?!?!? Well...he wouldn't be trying to give an advantage to the penguins would he

I found this article, and it made my head hurt

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

Thank you Foster Hewitt.

"Live, from the Olympia in Detroit, Michigan....."

Uh, both teams have to play the same schedule.

Agreed, Bettman's a twit. Move that joke franchise in Phoenix to Hamilton so people who actually enjoy pro hockey can pay to go see it live, in person.

Fire Bettman.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Thank you Foster Hewitt.

"Live, from the Olympia in Detroit, Michigan....."

Uh, both teams have to play the same schedule.

Agreed, Bettman's a twit. Move that joke franchise in Phoenix to Hamilton so people who actually enjoy pro hockey can pay to go see it live, in person.

Fire Bettman.
    The Pens have also had an additional day of practice and rest to prepare. Regardless, 3 games in 4 days is straight jiiiive.

Lets hear it for another Wings win! Only two more to go.

On a side note-- I was able to switch between NBC and CBC tonight while watching the game. CBC is a much better station to watch the wings on. First of all you get more audience sound making the viewer feel more into the game. Second you get people talking about hockey.

NBC might have a better picture but their commentators suck!

diver1369 Guest

Yeah, I've been watching the games on CBC too when they are available. I'm surprised Don Cherry wasn't able to walk across the water to the game in Detroit. He's the only person who thinks he is bigger than the game. Absent Grapes, I like the observations of the CBC commentators over the NBC crew. Too bad Barry Melrose isn't available.

Didn't anybody notice that Ozzie blanked the Pens? The only person to score on him last night was his defenseman, Brad Stuart. How about Ozzie stoning Crosby face-to-face.

Expect the Wings to be called for more penalties in game 3. You've already seen the instigator rule and jersey tie-down reinterpreted to the Pens benefit based on Malkin's attack of Zetterberg. The powers-that-be would love to extend the series to as many games as possible.
    Last edited by diver1369; June-01-09 at 11:26 AM.