Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The poor will be left out in the cold

http://www.freep.com/article/2011072...text|FRONTPAGE

Interesting article. Thoughts? Who are the major utility customers who brought the suit? Do all utility customers pay into the fund? Should all, not just major, utility customers expect to see a refund/reduced bill?

I like his last line. "And winter will be too late to start worrying about it." Huh? That's the Detroit way-Wait until your gas is cut off in the dead of winter and start swearing up and down stating that you didn't know.

It's pretty hard to stay up on backroom deals, unless reported to the locals involved. But, of course, our local news has to keep up with "Dancing with the Stars" and what not.

As one who at one time needed help with my heating bill, I was also the recipient of GWB's faith based initiative. Taxpayer money funneled through the churches. To get this partial payment to the utility company, a prayer meeting was held in MY living room asking God to help this unfortunate. HELL, I WAS LAID OFF! And a Agnostic. Now, they revert money back to the Utilities?

THAW's Faith Based Initiative is a program that partners with community churches, other organizations of faith, as well as community organizations to generate a funding source within the respective communities of faith to assists low-income families with their energy bills during times of crisis.

What the Benefits Are

THAW'S Faith Based Initiative Vision

To establish a coalition that encompasses a community of faith, community development enterprises, and human service organizations to share information, provide utility assistance, and work together to empower families and communities.
    To provide a Safetynet for seniors and limited income families.
    In addition to assistance, Faith Based institutions can provide motivation, mentoring and spiritual connections not offered in public facilities.
    Creating a Faith Based Program will provide participating places of worship the opportunity to help more individuals without adding more burdens to their own administrative costs.
    The THAW Internet Database allows for tracking, reporting and a direct link with utility providers for users.

http://www.thawfund.org/service_area/faith.html

Thanks for nothing George Dubya Bush.
    Last edited by Bigb23; July-29-11 at 04:28 PM.

And I might add - It was a Christian that gave me a ride home. Thank you. Some times it works.