Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

..by this time next year we'll see what shape schools are in.. then the law about grouping all under-performing schools together begins?

Ridiculous to see the comments about "breaking out the bubbly" and cheering on the death of unions in the comments section.

Government union employees are overpaid.

In late-stage capitalism, everyone is perceived as overpaid.

Yep, we can divide the quick from the 'dead' [[those who seemingly deserve the shaft) among ourselves to feel better for a while.

But yeah there will be few exemptions as time goes along.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    In late-stage capitalism, everyone is perceived as overpaid.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-31-11 at 02:42 PM.

I would think that anyone in their right mind would be concerned when contracts don't mean anything anymore. Unless the contract contained a clause stating that either party can end it for any reason, it would seem to me that an entity would have to file bankruptcy to end the contract. How can some trumped up state law circumvent this?

In fact, if there is no contract, via collective bargaining or otherwise, what is the vehicle under which teachers are now legally employed and working?

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Government employees bargain for a contract. They can only receive what managment agrees to. They do not just say, "Hey, make my wages 100 k a year." Whatever they bargain for only works if managment says okay.

Same for any union. UAW workers only receive what the manufacturers agree to.

Wish some of you guys would have taken Labor Management 101.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    And non-union government workers are underpaid for the amount of crap they have to put up with from the administration and public. Don't give me that "overpaid" shit....and that's what it is, a complete SHIT argument.