Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default DTE to relocate 300 employees downtown

DTE Energy Co. is the latest company in southeast Michigan to decide to move employees from the suburbs to Detroit.

The utility in September plans to relocate more than 300 customer service employees to its downtown Detroit headquarters from a Southfield office on Northwestern Highway, said Scott Simons, a DTE spokesman.

"The decision to consolidate customer service operations downtown was based on extensive industry benchmarking and is expected to result in increased operational efficiencies, significant cost savings and improved customer service," Simons said in an email.

While the move follows Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Quicken Loans Inc.'s announcements about moving employees downtown, DTE's announcement comes as a coincidence, Simons said

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110728/...#ixzz1TSt7bF8K

More good news for downtown

I believe Detroityes needs it's own "like" button, for occasions like these.

interesting.. more lunchtime/afternoon eaters downtown, a good thing..

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    I believe Detroityes needs it's own "like" button, for occasions like these.
    "like"......

Keep 'em coming downtown!

Although this isn't going to help my commute :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Keep 'em coming downtown!

Although this isn't going to help my commute :-)
    Thus why we need mass transit.

The Broderick developers are loving this. They were aware that some of these moves were going to happen, but not all of them.

At this rate, nobody should be surprised to hear another downtown upscale apartment project announced in the next 4-6 months *hint hint* ; )

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    At this rate, nobody should be surprised to hear another downtown upscale apartment project announced in the next 4-6 months *hint hint* ; )
    What cha got?

They are completely renovating 2 floors in the downtown complex for these new folks.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Uh, yea. Hint hints are not cool. Share the details!

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Uh, yea. Hint hints are not cool. Share the details!
    The old State of Michigan Building on Sixth is going to become luxury condos.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The old State of Michigan Building on Sixth is going to become luxury condos.
    That would be good news.... although the buildings aren't exactly from that era of quality construction. The original plan to tear down the towers and replace them with a 5 block 2 story FBI "walled off" campus was a horrible idea. Plus it lessened the downtown skyline [[albeit they are on the western edge)...

I also noticed there's more inbound traffic into downtown on the Lodge these days during the morning commute. It's almost as congested as I-94 tends to be doing the morning rush.

That's good news too all in all. I'd rather we have congestion headed into our center from all directions than traffic going every/which way to some suburban office park.

Thats cool. Too bad they are relocating old jobs and not completely new jobs. Going up 12 mile in Southfield there is a lot of vacancy already. Not sure about elsewhere in Southfield but ya kno. Just sayin.

Yup, I-75 gets worse with every announcement.

Now if we could just get Tiger fans to stick around the city after a game ends then we wouldn't have gridlock when a game lets out at 4:45pm.

But I'm with the others, this gridlock is a great thing. It means that Detroit is starting to have the issue of having lots of people working in it.

Interesting news about the old State of Michigan Bulding. "Live in Corktown and have your own doorman". Progress though, in my book.

Are both of the 'towers' being renovated?

From what I've seen there are two floors in the main tower, WCB, being renovated.