Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Milner Hotel

I was just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with The Milner Hotel. I have walked by it plenty of times and it doesn't look great, but it is a really great value and one of the only few hotels left available for Monday Night Football. It's me and a buddy of mine, both 25 so we don't need the Ritz Carlton, but I also don't want to get stuck in a place with terrible security and bed bugs [[I'm looking at you Leland). Basically, how bad is it and what's your experience or even a friends experience.

Thanks!

I don't know but it definitely doesn't look as seedy as the Leland. I walk by it routinely and it seems to be kept up rather well....I can't speak for the rooms though.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    I don't know but it definitely doesn't look as seedy as the Leland. I walk by it routinely and it seems to be kept up rather well....I can't speak for the rooms though.
    The reviews are just so mixed I don't know what to think.

I know someone from Chicago that regularly stays there. It's no great shakes, but it is adequate.

My parents have stayed there, as had my wife and I once. I also stayed once at the Leeland [[~2005 when it was a Ramada). I'd compare it to a mom and pop motel on US 2 in the UP, except in the middle of things. No frills and a bit out of date, but nice enough anyway, it should work for your purposes.

I have stayed there a few times. Usually when I'm going to a concert or an event were I dont wont to drive home. Its cheap and its no frills but It is clean and its right in the middle of the city. I would compare a room to one of those mom and pop hotels you see up north. The main advantage is that is is cheap.

One of the things that bother me about reviews on places like Yelp is that people expect the Sheraton for $75 a night downtown. I have not stayed at the Milner, but we do stay at a similar older hotel in Seattle that reviews poorly in some cases for the same reason the Milner does. I like the comparison to a mom and pop motel.....

I met the Milner manager at a recent Preservation Wayne Downtown Movie Palace tour. Your assessments are correct... spartan but clean... no bed bugs. IIRC only the Detroit and Boston Milner Hotels remain in the hotel chain.

If you want a suite or a hotel room that you can party in later, look elsewhere... but if you're just interested in a place to crash for the night that is convenient [[rooms aren't large) and with no health issues... and reasonable for downtown... then the Milner is a good choice.

Dr. Emil Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I IIRC only the Detroit and Boston Milner Hotels remain in the hotel chain.
    What about the Los Angeles Milner?

[[rooms aren't large)
    I have gotten suites at the Milner for about $100 and they are pretty large. I have stayed at the Milner over a dozen times and never had a problem. If you're looking for a cheap, clean place to stay that is very conviently located and you don't need any frills, then the Milner is perfect for you. It's old but it is just fine for a place to crash for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Emil View Post
    What about the Los Angeles Milner?

I have gotten suites at the Milner for about $100 and they are pretty large. I have stayed at the Milner over a dozen times and never had a problem. If you're looking for a cheap, clean place to stay that is very conviently located and you don't need any frills, then the Milner is perfect for you. It's old but it is just fine for a place to crash for the night.

I noticed the suite, and the pic looks pretty good but it's only one picture but for 100$ it might be cool. How would you compare that room if at all?

Dr. Emil Guest

Regular rooms have one or two beds, shower, coffee maker, TV and that's about it. The suites have a couch, coffee table, chair, bed in a seperate room, TV and a kitchenette with refrigerator, some with stove and/or microwave. I go with the suite if possible but that's just me.