Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Looking to move to Lafayette Park

Recently I have been apartment hunting around downtown and have been looking a lot at Lafayette Park. Has anyone on this forum lived there? any suggestions or advice? The area seems gorgeous and I was looking for an opinion on some who have lived there as far as security, the actual apartments, the neighborhood, etc goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    Recently I have been apartment hunting around downtown and have been looking a lot at Lafayette Park. Has anyone on this forum lived there? any suggestions or advice? The area seems gorgeous and I was looking for an opinion on some who have lived there as far as security, the actual apartments, the neighborhood, etc goes.
    Well, I've only lived there for little over a year but it is very secure for the most part. There are occasions when cars get vandalized but that is going to happen in any downtown area. In the Mies Co-ops, the mix of professionals, professors and retired people seems to work in concert with the large windows to hamper many crimes. Further, some of us are very active about confronting uninvited visitors on our private walkways.

If you are going to live Downtown, LP is about as safe as you are going to get--at least I would say that of the Mies Co-ops. Can't speak for others.

I haven't lived in LP, but I do know folks who live in the Mies Co-ops and although awesome in design, the walls are supposedly paper thin...just saying.

Several of my WSU colleagues live in and around Lafayette Park. I love the area, and live only minutes away myself. I envy their easy access to Greektown, the RenCen, Rivard Plaza, and especially the Dequindre Cut. It is quiet and the residents are passionate about their community.

Are you interested in one of the van der Rohe townhomes or an apartment? I looked [[hard and seriously) at a place on the second floor of 1300. Panoramic, amazing, and *stunning* view of the river... only drawback for me was the amount of space.

I have several friends who live in the Towers. You might also want to look at the Jean Rivard apartments right off the Chrysler service drive. I went to a cocktail party there and I loved the layout of the place I was visiting.
    Last edited by English; July-26-11 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    I haven't lived in LP, but I do know folks who live in the Mies Co-ops and although awesome in design, the walls are supposedly paper thin...just saying.
    The walls above ground are reasonably thick unless you have neighbors who enjoy everything loudly. In any situation where someone said the walls were "paper thin", someone in the mix was probably a bit loud. The walls in the basement aren't necessarily thin but tend to transmit sound very well. It's big commitment and a relatively long process so getting to know the neighbors beforehand is advisable.

I live in Lafayette Park, with the exception of 3 years,, since 1990 so I think Im qualified to have an opinion, I think it is one of best areas to live in Detroit, and has consistenly gotten better, unfortunately not like many of the other areas, Had lived in a mies courthouse, the flat ones with the walled in courtyard, was a great place to live..
    Presently in 1300 in a higher floor corner unit overlooking the city, I love it, awesome view, had it renovated to my tastes, great neighbors, very safe, very good services [[ doorperson, shipping and recieving clerk, pools, new workout room- just shut the door and go, - no worries ever as I travel away often ) and I do tons of things downtown that I walk too, very safely,
    With the new incentives, it would be a great deal for someone buying one of the one bedrooms available, would be the same as rent and tax deductible.. The larger units [[more bedrooms) are more expensive and harder to obtain but still wonderful, expecially with the incentives,,I highly recommend the area, There is no other area in Metro where Id want to live, Tryed it for three years in two locations- Huntington Woods and Royal Oak, they were very nice but didnt have the overall appeal to me , I really like living in the heart of the city near the sports stadiums, art centers, museums and eastern market, restaurants, bars, riverfront.and the view at night from my windows cant be beat. .. The other places just dont have that same flair.

I grew up in that area. It's great for young single professionals or married/partnered couples with kids. One of the best kept secrets are the condos on Rivard. Nice size townhouses with attached garages. But get the taxes reduced if you get one. That area also has the best freeway access in the metro area. So much so, that it will spoil it for any other area. Check out the condos on Orleans as well, they're within a block or two from the Eastern Market.