Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default TechShop in Allen Park

I saw an article in my Crain's this morning, and it reminded me of this thread from 2008:

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1201299028

Ford is bringing TechShop to Allen Park. It's a free article on the Crain's site.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ication-studio

I toured the "i3 Detroit" HackerSpace in Ferndale a few months back. Their rates are similar, something like $85 per month to be a voting full-time member, $55 per for non-voters. Equipment was brought in by each member, occasionally they pooled together to make larger purchases...and the equipment STAYS in the ownership of that member to keep them from amassing a huge tax liability.

There is another that opened up in Eastern Market...at least one person there has an odd affinity for funky barely-functioning bikes [[they could barely back one into their door at closing one Saturday recently).

Heard about one in the Ypsi/A2 area as well.

I'm sure this space would be better...but the Ferndale folks have the jump on 'em. They have quite the club going there, it was VERY impressive.

Cheers!

Wow what a great idea, nice tie-in to the Maker-Faire.