Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Tree Planting in Southwest Detroit

I was driving east on 696 this morning and noticed that dozens of trees are being planted on the freeway between Groesbeck and Gratiot.

Has anyone noticed if this is going on on I-75 by the Ambassador Bridge? That would do a lot for cutting down on any Diesel fumes.

Retroit Guest

I'm all in favor of more trees, but I didn't know that trees "cut down" diesel fumes. Last I heard, trees turn carbon dioxide into oxygen. Diesel fumes consist of carbon monoxide, soot, and a shit-load of other toxins [[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_...r_contaminants ). What do trees do with these?

As far as I know there have been no mitigating measures taken by the DIBC to cut down on Diesel fumes. That is the problem with having a private company that does not want any public input and thinks it cans solve problems with legal battles instead of doing whats right.... MDOT may however be planting trees as part of the gateway project but I have not heard of any of this as of yet... It would be the final stage of construction when they plant. If they do decide to plant...

2blocksaway Guest

that area of 696 is way over planted.

i can only assume that they are planting so many trees and shrubs because they know that they will never get watered and 60-70% of them will die in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanoutdoors View Post
    As far as I know there have been no mitigating measures taken by the DIBC to cut down on Diesel fumes. That is the problem with having a private company that does not want any public input and thinks it cans solve problems with legal battles instead of doing whats right.... MDOT may however be planting trees as part of the gateway project but I have not heard of any of this as of yet... It would be the final stage of construction when they plant. If they do decide to plant...

It's MDOT doing it at I-696. It's also their domain as far as I-75, so I'm hoping that they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I'm all in favor of more trees, but I didn't know that trees "cut down" diesel fumes. Last I heard, trees turn carbon dioxide into oxygen. Diesel fumes consist of carbon monoxide, soot, and a shit-load of other toxins [[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_...r_contaminants ). What do trees do with these?

They cut down on the effects of the diesel fumes. The fumes get caught in the leaves almost like a filter. The best trees for this are California Redwoods. That's why I've always been an advocate of tree planting and greening in industrial areas.