Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Female tourist in Detroit

Did I mention, car-less?

I'll be visiting Detroit next week by myself, with boobs, feet, and a couple bucks in my pocket. Not much else. Can I get around downtown fairly safely without wheels, based on public transit, cabs, and walking? I'll be staying at the Inn on Ferry St, so there is a shuttle around downtown, but I also need to get to Dearborn and I'm wondering if the bus is a good idea.

Also... I'd love any suggestions for things to do or places to see next Sunday night or Monday during the day. Are there any areas between Ferry St/Woodward and the downtown core that I should avoid?

Thanks!

Buses are safe. I have never had an issue. What are your interests? That will help us make suggestions. There is a lot to see in such a short time span.

Bus from Ferry Street will require some time and transfers. Better options would be Book-Caddy, Holiday Inn, or Doubletree Fort Shelby. From there you can hop the 200 and straight to Dearborn you go along Michigan Ave.

While the Woodward Corridor is cleaned up quite a bit from Ferry Street to Downtown there are still several sketchy at best areas. Not horrible if you stick to main streets, but the llumpen proles are out there and don't know boundaries.

Welcome, Jezebel, to the DetroitYES Forum...and to our city!!!

When do you arrive on Sunday? And how long are you in town? That will help us give you some ideas of things to do.

The Inn on Ferry Street has a wonderful shuttlebus driver Steve who will be more than happy to get you downtown for a Michigan Ave bus to Dearborn.

On Monday, take a Renaissance Center tour [[at 12 noon or 2pm). It's free and includes an elevator ride to the restaurant at the top for a beautiful view of the area. Visit the Guardian Building on Griswold while you are downtown.

Here is my map of Detroit:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...27616,0.308647

I have mapped out many of the city's cultural attractions, historic landmarks, bars, restaurants, and other things of interests. I hope it will be helpful to you. The Inn on Ferry Street is also on the map.

Have fun in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    The Inn on Ferry Street has a wonderful shuttlebus driver Steve who will be more than happy to get you downtown for a Michigan Ave bus to Dearborn.
    Can she slip Steve a few extra bux to take her to Dearborn??

No idea, but even if he got her to Dearborn, depending on her business there, she might have to get herself back to the Inn. If that is the case, it's better to take the bus getting there so that you know how to get back the same way.

Definitely recommend a couple loops around downtown on the Detroit People Mover. For 50 cents its the best tour money can buy. The city presents so many different faces from 30-feet up in the air. 13 stations are located around Downtown and can connect you to many different landmarks and places of interest.

Enjoy the Inn on Ferry Street. My girlfriend and I spent a night there in the fall and had a great time. The houses on Ferry are gorgeous, inside and out. On the same trip we had dinner at Angelina's Italian Bistro [[downtown, Steve the driver will know where it is), and the next day went over to the Detroit Historical Museum, a few blocks from the Inn.

The bus system, while creaky at best, will get you where you need to go as long as you don't mind some lengthy transfers....especially on Sundays.

The rule is - you come to our city and ask for DetroitYes' advice on what to see & do, you are required to give us a report after your trip! Have fun!

You'll be just fine... per the advise so many have given... the key is to not look 'touristy' LOL! I know how to whip out a camera fast, take a shot without 'oggling' and staring at stuff like typical tourists do. I travel alot alone and instead of carrying a purse I use this cool small backpack which I can sling over my shoulder and unlike purses you don't have to worry about it stuff falling out of it.

I can put a camera down in there. Even my small laptop, if I choose to take it about and to the buses and subways I go. Keep stuff you need close to your person. I can put on the 'dead pan' nonchalant face if things get crazy out in the pubic, which conceals rather I am interested or concerned about something and don't want anyone to 'read' my thoughts. Just stay alert and watchful!
    Quote Originally Posted by jezebel View Post
    Did I mention, car-less?

I'll be visiting Detroit next week by myself, with boobs, feet, and a couple bucks in my pocket. Not much else. Can I get around downtown fairly safely without wheels, based on public transit, cabs, and walking? I'll be staying at the Inn on Ferry St, so there is a shuttle around downtown, but I also need to get to Dearborn and I'm wondering if the bus is a good idea.

Also... I'd love any suggestions for things to do or places to see next Sunday night or Monday during the day. Are there any areas between Ferry St/Woodward and the downtown core that I should avoid?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-24-11 at 11:22 PM.

SMART 200 Michigan Runs to Dearborn, Fairlane. But the area around Fairlane is not very walkable... there's very little sidewalk on the Evergreen side. Anyway you can get the 200 downtown at Michigan Ave off Washingon Blvd, I've taken it when car was down. [[866) 962-5515 Smartbus.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    No idea, but even if he got her to Dearborn, depending on her business there, she might have to get herself back to the Inn. If that is the case, it's better to take the bus getting there so that you know how to get back the same way.

Where in Dearborn are you trying to get? I live in Dearborn and I take the bus from WSU [[not too far from where you will be staying) nearly every day. Just take the Woodward bus downtown and the Michigan ave. bus [[SMART, 200) bus to Dearborn. If you aren't going past fairlane mall you can also take the DDOT to east Dearborn. Walking around the fairlane mall area truly is a hassle. It has to be one of the most unwalkable areas I have ever been, which is ridiculous because two schools are over there. Once you get past fairlane traveling by foot is much easier.

^^^^Yes, good points Epiphany, that area is horrid for walking. There's no side walk at all after around Hubbard on the U of M Dearborn, HFCC side until you get close to the school entryways/ parking lots.

Yes, the reason I mention it is because she probably shouldn't take the DDOT and walk from Fairlane. It may look like a short distance but crossing over Evergreen and even walking from the mall to Evergreen sucks because there isn't a single sidewalk... and people drive like morons over there. I can't count the number of times I was nearly hit while riding my bike from Detroit to HFCC.

Well, rent a bike Friday and ride in the Detroit Critical Mass, the social contacts made should give lots of incite to the rest of the weekend's going ons.

The bus that Epiphany is talking about is called the Crosstown. It is bus # 14 and can be caught at Warren. It essentially runs the entire length of Warren from the Pointes to Rouge Park and goes through one of the East Dearborn Business districts.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The bus that Epiphany is talking about is called the Crosstown. It is bus # 14 and can be caught at Warren. It essentially runs the entire length of Warren from the Pointes to Rouge Park and goes through one of the East Dearborn Business districts.
    She can take the Crosstown bus if she is going to a place off of Warren, but I was just talking about taking the Woodward to the Rosa Parks transit center and then the DDOT Michigan avenue bus to get to places in east Dearborn that are off Michigan ave but not past Fairlane. Still, I would recommend taking the Crosstown bus for some really good food if you would rather go that way. I wouldn't recommend that she take crosstown and transfer to go south to Michigan avenue because she may have to wait in some pretty crappy areas if she goes to Warrendale. I used to live over there and take the Evergreen bus from Warren and people get their belongings snatched pretty frequently by that CVS, so I wouldn't recommend it to a visitor.

try loco's restaurant in Detroit [[brush st.?). Try La Shish restaurant on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn.

Did I mention, car-less?

Thanks!
    Trust No One.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Well, rent a bike Friday and ride in the Detroit Critical Mass, the social contacts made should give lots of incite to the rest of the weekend's going ons.
    Ooh, what is THAT? You totally piqued my interest. I suspect I'll be arriving too late to enjoy though [[won't be in town until around dinner time) but I love bike tours! I already have a Wheelhouse tour booked for Sunday, but if I could I'd bike all weekend long.

Thanks so much for reassuring me about safety, everyone. Where I live, I'm about 10 minutes from a mental hospital, and the place where I lived before had homeless shelters 5 minutes in every direction, so I'm not uncomfortable around crackheads and schizophrenics and a typical downtown crowd - if that's mainly what I'd have to worry about in the touristy parts of downtown Detroit.

Any other time I've been to Detroit, it's been with friends from Windsor who are terrified of anything that doesn't look like the suburbs, so I think their paranoia may have rubbed off on me!

AHAHAHAHAHA. thats all

Ooh, what is THAT? You totally piqued my interest. I suspect I'll be arriving too late to enjoy though [[won't be in town until around dinner time) but I love bike tours! I already have a Wheelhouse tour booked for Sunday, but if I could I'd bike all weekend long.
    Critical Mass doesn't usually start until pretty late, but you'd have to get a bike in time. I think it is a blast, so if you like biking I'd strongly recommend it. It lasts a while, so you might be able to join late if you can find it. That might be too hard for a visitor. I won't be there, but maybe someone else could help.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15776293209 You should check the page because they change the times and locations sometimes--the page says 5:30 at Grand Circus but that isn't always the case.

Thanks so much for reassuring me about safety, everyone. Where I live, I'm about 10 minutes from a mental hospital, and the place where I lived before had homeless shelters 5 minutes in every direction, so I'm not uncomfortable around crackheads and schizophrenics and a typical downtown crowd - if that's mainly what I'd have to worry about in the touristy parts of downtown Detroit.

Any other time I've been to Detroit, it's been with friends from Windsor who are terrified of anything that doesn't look like the suburbs, so I think their paranoia may have rubbed off on me!
    I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet but I can think of one area you'd probably want to avoid near downtown: The cass park area [[the worst of which is generally about MLK to the north, temple to the south between 2nd and 3rd just give that area some clearance) North of MLK is pretty much ok I'd say This is pretty much the epicenter of where the homeless/addicts hang out. Now I'm generally pretty fearless anywhere in the downtown area but I made the mistake of walking through here and I definitely got the vibe that a few of them were about to try something but rethought it when they saw me and that I looked pretty unfriendly [[I'm not a small guy)

Now I'm pretty used to the addicts, homeless, and mentally ill and I rarely have a problem with them but in this case they just hang out in the same area all the time. When that many people who have nothing and nothing to lose congregate anything can happen. As for psychiatric hospitals, I can't really think of any [[we closed most of them in the 80s and 90s to save money) and shelters are few and far between and most of those are more common in the winter. Combine those facts with our economy and you'll see we have a lot of destitute people around downtown. Use your head and you should be fine and have a great time.

Have a good visit!