Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does anyone have info on the recent passing of David Blair?

Detroit MusicTV posted on Facebook about the passing of poet and musician, David Blair. A friend confirmed it. Does anyone have details on a memorial or what happened? I have been searching the obituaries. May he rest in peace. He has impacted so many people's lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utPtz...&feature=share

I just heard the news, I came here hoping someone would know. How sad.

Very. He was such an amazing person. Please post if you hear anything. I am out of state but would like to send something if there is a memorial or for the family.

Just read this on his Facebook page.
    Shibu Samuel
    I was asked to post some info on our close friend Blair. Blair passed away last night at around 8:30pm. We ID the body late this morning at the morgue. The cause of death is unknown at this time and there were no signs of trauma or foul play.
    Last edited by lukabottle; July-24-11 at 03:44 PM. Reason: update

I am heartbroken by this news.

Met Blair a bit over three years ago at the first Dinner and a Show night with Audra Kubat, from the sound-check onwards he was a mighty force of wisdom, enthusiasm, and love. His set that night included his version of my favorite Stevie Wonder tune...As. I cannot help but painfully meander those lyrics now.

He was one of the most generous people I've ever known...always a twinkle in the eye and a smile whenever we'd meet. He was SO alive sometimes, he was electric...haven't met too many who could cause a crowd to combust quite like he often did...but always for a purpose, always for good.

I will miss those chance encounters...Detroit now has another watchful Spirit. Blair adopted us as joyously and thoroughly as we adopted him.

Much love, where-ever you are now, my friend Blair. Surely it is a better place than this.

Sincerely,
    John

I was told his body was found by a hotel maid, they suspect heat stroke, no foul play. What a nice talented man. At a Women In Black march in Hamtramck, at the end of the march, he sang "What's Going On", acapella, we all wept at his grace and talent.

Leah Elizabeth Dunstan For every one asking what they can do for Blair, until we have something set up for his family, it's just important you keep reading his poetry and playing his music and spreading the word about how great he was and what what important to him. Go volunteer, read his poems at an open mike, put his music and work in your local library. That's how we can honor him right now

What a powerful song. Thank you for sharing! He will definitely be missed. He embodies the spirit of Detroit.

I'll need to upload the one I'm listening to now...recorded it in 2008..."Hey DJ", "the way you kiss my ears kicks my ass" [[written for Ralph Valdez and all the other musical wizards who used to grace the airwaves through WDET before the music massacre).

Here is a nice collection of memories, all thrown into one music video.

Blair, running from Wayne State to Hamtramck for rehearsal with my man Scottie on drums at the 1923 Cafe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0gK5OQ65oE

There is an informal gathering happening at the Old Miami tonight, after eight, for anyone wishing some human interaction. This is NOT an official family/friends event, merely a desperate attempt at grappling with this loss.

We will likely be out back...and while it is probably too late to organize a potluck, if anyone wants to bring something to pass, it will be appreciated.

Much love,
    John

John, I wish I'd known. I agree that this is a significant and horrible loss. Blair mentored some of my most talented creative writing students, a few of whom are working poets today. Raise a glass for me in his honor... truly one of the best people this area had to offer.

Maia Crown Amonyet Williams
    Please be sensitive to posts that include speculation surrounding David Blair's passing. A website will be coming soon to give accurate information on the cause, the arrangements, and ways people can contribute. His Detroit and New Jersey [[spirit and blood) families are grieving, and trying to release this information as soon as possible. Thanks so, so, so much. [[Aricka Foreman)

Of that there is little doubt, English.

I was just talking with Audra about his legacy...those he taught and encouraged and mentored...and the army of folk he helped come out of their shells.

I'm heading down to the Miami now, finally. I will raise at least one glass for you...thanks for the feedback.

Sincerely,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; July-25-11 at 08:26 PM.

It is so hard to understand how such a force of nature can be gone. Blair could light up a room.

Here's acopy of a letter I received from Terry Blackhawk of the InsideOut Literary Arts Project. Sorry, but I can't get the links to work.

InsideOut Literary Arts Project Remembers David Blair
    Dear Friends:

Blair at InsideOut's Get Versed Showcase. Photo credit: Nichole Christian

Like many in the poetry community in Detroit - and around the country - we at InsideOut are stunned and saddened by the sudden death of our dear friend and colleague, Blair. As we grieve his loss, we count ourselves especially lucky to have been able to share him with the young people we serve. He brought his magnetism as a mentor to teens in after school settings and as writer-in-residence for high school, middle school and elementary children in InsideOut classrooms in Detroit schools.

In May, he stood on stage at the Detroit Institute of Arts as our host of a citywide youth talent show and proclaimed his love for Detroit and its youngest scribes. "I consider it a gift to be able to work with the students of our city and to help pull out of them some of the beauty that may otherwise have gone un-mined. We all owe it to the youth of Detroit to carry that message on."

Wherever he went, with his guitar slung over his shoulder, Blair was a beacon of inspiration, a troubadour for honesty and personal integrity, for kindness, for speaking truth to power and celebrating the lives and voices of the dispossessed. It has been Detroit's good fortune that he chose us as his adopted hometown, and he knit people together in ways even he probably did not understand. With few resources other than his gigantic talent, his great big heart and his ability to reach others, Blair created community and helped us to believe in ourselves.

"Blair's energy on the stage was magnetic and he brought this same force into the classroom,'' says our Associate Director Alise Alousi, who hired Blair officially as an InsideOut Writer-In-Residence. "Students were drawn to him. I will never forget his smile lighting up the room at the end of the year celebration at Noble Elementary School. He was full of joy as he complimented students on the work that they'd done. One young boy literally could not take his eyes off Blair. He was walking backwards and grinning ear to ear after Blair told him how much he liked his hair. The expression on that young boy's face was matched equally in brightness and love by the one on Blair's face. I will never forget it or him or his graciousness."

Blair with Slam Team member Joseph Verge at WDET studio interview.
    It was my personal good fortune to work closely with Blair, commissioning him to create a song cycle as part of InsideOut's 2010-2011 "Big Read" project bringing the work of Emily Dickinson, who is near and dear to my heart, to Detroit. Blair had not previously read much Dickinson, but his eagerness and curiosity and enthusiasm helped me see her again, and anew, through his eyes. We had a lot of fine conversations about her life and work, and I especially loved how he identified with her work, finding in it the voice of "an authentic self."

Like Emily, Blair saw through phoniness and facades. From his resounding gospel rendition of " Tie the strings to my Life, my Lord " to the delicacy of " I haven't told my garden yet " - Blair's songs inhabited Dickinson for us all.

"What Blair did with those Dickinson poems was truly an act of one immortal poet meeting up with another," said Peter Markus, one of Blair's fellow IO Writer-In-Residence colleagues. Pete's tribute is but one of the thousands pouring out to Blair on Facebook over the last 24 hours.

The links below to some of his songs and the work with children will help to show what a wonderful role he played for InsideOut and what incomparable void he leaves. "I work with Inside Out because art is important to me and the youth of Detroit are important to me.''

We thank Blair for being such a guiding light. We love him and we will miss him always.

Peace & Gratitude,
    Terry Blackhawk

Links to some of Blair's recent performances.

See Blair perform with Bennett Elementary 5th graders - July 2010

See Blair with Bennett Elementary 3rd graders - July 2010

Blair performing, " Tie the Strings to my Life ." This is part of the overall "Lemonade: Detroit" project produced by Erik Proulx which will be screened Saturday at 5pm the Detroit Makers' Faire.

Jessica Thomas dances to " I have not told my garden yet ," [[at 10 minutes in) followed by interview with Blair.

Sound Cloud bite of " I have not told my garden yet ." Link to Emily Dickinson's poem.
    Blair at WSU performing Emily Dickinson poem to song "I have not told my garden yet."

What a heartbreak to haer about Blair. I hadnt seen him in a while, we were not great friends but honored to know him and always had good convo. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

Travell on B.

'Twas a beautiful warm gathering of a few of the creative genii left in the fabulous wake made by this amazing fellow at the Old Miami tonight. SO many of us lingering in wonder and doubt that he could really be gone...the interaction absolutely necessary to allow us to brave peeking into this new reality we've been served.

Thank You, Audra, for helping make this happen...and for everyone else who showed and shared. There were way more smiles than tears...although not a one of us was far from bawling our eyes dry again.

May the Maker be with his family and closest friends...and everyone else who felt as if they were lifelong mates the moment they met Blair. He was that kinda fellow...and every one of us is lacking now with him gone.

One of the strongest undercurrents of the whole evening was how important Coffeehouse Open Mic nights are to community and artist development. Blair caught that energy and helped turn it into a mighty wave that swept any and all willing onto a wild ride.

I wasn't the only one who walked away inspired tonight...I heard talk of a big memorial celebration in the coming weeks. There will be a smaller gig this coming Saturday at the Circa 1890 Saloon on Cass Avenue...Blair had been booked there for a show, and from what I can tell...a few hundred of his closest friends are going to arrive and insure that 'the show goes on'...it should be quite the party.

Cheers, sincerely,
    John

Just got this brought to my attention by Valkyrias through Facebook.

http://youtu.be/huWvgWihtXg

I was able to hold back the tears until this point.

Blair 'got' the Spirit of Detroit...and It most certainly got him.

Cheers...wet, slobbery, sniffely ones...

Official updates and announcements

Posted on July 25, 2011 by blairfriends
    *Community Memorial Service for D Blair*
    Come celebrate the life of our beloved Blair this Sunday, July 31, 2011.
    We want to give Blair back some of the love and life he gave to all of us. We are going to send him off with a 2nd Line Jazz funeral and we invite you to come mourn and celebrate.
    1pm: Please gather on the corner of Cass and MLK/Mack. We will march down Cass to the Unitarian Universalist Church [[UU) at 4605 Cass on the corner of Forest. Percussion instruments are welcome to join in this march.
    2pm: Life Celebration at the UU church
    3pm: We will 2nd Line March back out into the street and let Detroit hear us celebrate.
    3:30pm: Community Potluck at Memorial Hall at the UU. Please bring a dish.

Not sure if I can get back to Pittsburgh in time for work.

Thanks for this, Luka. I do so hope you can make it. If you choose to, come Saturday and join us at Circa 1890 on Cass as his friends and band-mates put on the show that he had scheduled there.

English, I'd love to talk with a few of them. Audra and I were pondering ideas this morning for a big day-long celebration in the not-too-distant future, possibly at the Hastings Street Ballroom, and I proposed the afternoon being dedicated to those students he taught and mentored. This event would serve as a springboard fundraiser for the Trust being created by his family to serve the healthcare needs for poor artists in Detroit.

While I knew him mostly for his music, there is a small army of poets who've been greatly influenced by him...and we all know how mighty those with the pens can be!

Sincerely,
    John

We had a great turnout of folks for last night's event at Circa 1890 Saloon...and ten times that for the New Orlean's-style brass band march and memorial service at the Unitarian Universalist church across the street from Cass Cafe today.

Both were so filled with love and admiration for Blair...I've never experienced anything quite like it...save for the service for our own ItsJeff.

Matter of fact...even beyond the hugs, open demeanor towards others, and self-effacing humor wrapped around a solid core...I am struck by the commonalities between these fellas.

Sincerely,
    John

John, thank you for the invite. I considered getting a bus ticket [[currently in Pittsburgh) but it would be tight getting back to work on Monday. I figure the family could use the money more so I am going to send a check instead.

However, I will be back in Detroit next weekend. I had planned on moving things back from Pittsburgh that I won't need my last year at McGill. Please keep me updated if anything is planned at the Hastings Ballroom. I have a friend flying out from Cali who also knew him and will be driving back with me. We knew Blair from hanging out at coffee houses and casually running into him on the streets. He always made us feel so welcome and inspired.

The memorial seemed beautiful.
    Last edited by lukabottle; July-31-11 at 08:01 PM.

Yes, a friend read a couple of poems at the memorial. I understand it was quite moving and a very large turn out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    We had a great turnout of folks for last night's event at Circa 1890 Saloon...and ten times that for the New Orlean's-style brass band march and memorial service at the Unitarian Universalist church across the street from Cass Cafe today.

Both were so filled with love and admiration for Blair...I've never experienced anything quite like it...save for the service for our own ItsJeff.

Matter of fact...even beyond the hugs, open demeanor towards others, and self-effacing humor wrapped around a solid core...I am struck by the commonalities between these fellas.

Sincerely,
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast