Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What to do about Detroit's image?

It's hard to overstate just how bad Detroit's reputation has gotten. At a party last night, I met someone from France who moved to the US last year. As usual, after saying I was from Detroit, I fell into playing the role of damage control for Detroit's image, attempting to balance the reality of Detroit with the media interpretation. He had never been to Detroit or Michigan, but he said that he imagined Detroit to be the worst place to possibly go in America. In fact, he framed it like this: "if someone had asked me where is the worst place in America that they could buy me a plane ticket to, I would think 'Detroit'".

He's a nice guy and was by no means trying to be intentionally malicious towards Detroit. He was just giving his honest opinion about the city based on the images he had been fed. Based on those images, he really did not have much of a desire or curiosity about Detroit. But by the end of our conversation he had put Detroit on his list of places to visit.

Even though I haven't lived in Detroit or Michigan for a few years [[I do visit often), I constantly find myself in the position of playing Detroit's ambassador. [[It's a part time job for which I don't get paid!) The French guy was not alone in his perception, neither among foreigners or Americans. But I'm only one person and I sometimes get exhausted trying to counter unfair portrayals of the city and region. [[To the point where I sometimes avoid mentioning I'm from there just so I don't have to have that inevitable conversation.)

Detroit [[and Michigan) must be proactive about repairing the city's image if they ever plan to break out of the spiral of economic stagnation/decline. It's just not enough for us loyal Detroit expats to play amateur PR spokespersons. There are not nearly enough of us to make a measurable change, and we get drowned out every time there is an unfavorable segment about "struggling Detroit" on the news... or even worse, a one hour special on NBC that likens the situation in Detroit to that of places like Haiti. So that said, what's the best way to fix the perception of Detroit as a failed city?

I left the state awhile back to live on the west coast and other midwest states and was always talking to everyone about how awesome Detroit and Michigan were. Then I just finally decided to take my own advice and move back myself. Michigan is the best, you should just move back if you like it so much.

detroitjim Guest

Why not be happy that they are at least talking about us!

Or maybe you can think of Detroit this way ,Top ranked third world city in the USA.

WE"RE #1 WE"RE #1 WE"RE #1 WE"RE #1 WE"RE #1 WE"RE #1

Unfortunately Detroit's negative perception is instilled in the heads of most Americans I have encountered from outside the metro area [[sadly enough from ppl within metro area as well) thanks to all the bad publicity as you mentioned and I found myself defending Detroit in Davenport, Iowa, washington dc, Chicago, and Pittsburgh just this summer. Seems like everytime I go on vacation I have to explain to people about the side of Detroit that the news dosnt talk about and I feel happy and proud in doing so. I think a very easy way to somewhat help the city's image is for each and everyone of us to enlighten people and defend Detroit when traveling n e where outside the metro area cause many people just don't kno whether ur from city proper or metro

Consider too that a lot of the highlights of our city would be considered par for the course in any other city.

Detroit doesn't have entirely a perception problem. Detroit has a reality problem. Crime is high, taxes are exorbitant, we recently had a famously corrupt and arrogant mayor, the schools are [[mostly) terrible, the transit system is barely alive at all, and yet the city government has time to try to prevent people from playing baseball at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull.

When people do come in and try to help in some way, they are vilified unless they do exactly what the city wants when the city wants it.

You fix all that crap and the perception will, over time, take care of itself.

I find it ironic that as I right this, the thread immediately above this thread is about how companies are paying people to live in Detroit.

So that said, what's the best way to fix the perception of Detroit as a failed city?

Dump EVERYBODY in city government. If you've ever held an elected or appointed position, you're out and forever ineligible to return.

Full top to bottom clean slate with an emphasis on ethics, credibility and accountability to the citizens.

Yes! Well stated... these things must be address first and fast......
    Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Detroit doesn't have entirely a perception problem. Detroit has a reality problem. Crime is high, taxes are exorbitant, we recently had a famously corrupt and arrogant mayor, the schools are [[mostly) terrible, the transit system is barely alive at all, and yet the city government has time to try to prevent people from playing baseball at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull.

When people do come in and try to help in some way, they are vilified unless they do exactly what the city wants when the city wants it.

I find it ironic that as I right this, the thread immediately above this thread is about how companies are paying people to live in Detroit.

Whenever I talk to people from other states or other countries, I never fail to be amazed as to how bad our reputation is here. When people ask me where I live, I always say I live 16 miles due North of downtown Detroit. More often then not, that leads to questions about crime, city services, loss of population ect.

What's interesting is when you try and explain the urban farming idea to people, you get some really funny looks, like you're playing a joke on them or something.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post

I agree with you on a lot, but not on this one. I'm under no illusion that Detroit is the greatest city -- or even a great city right now -- but the perception that people have about the place is often ridiculous compared to reality. At first, I chalked it up to the thoughts of just a few irrational people until I realized that nearly EVERYBODY had these absurd ideas of what it's like there.

I'm with Prof Scott on this one. While there's plenty of things going on in Detroit to feel good about, I think Detroit's image is a direct result of Detroit's problems. The abandonment factor alone is a major issue. The one "image" that always stuns visitors is the ramshackle look of so much of the city, the vacant stretches of what was once densely populated neighborhoods and the lack of retail on most thoroughfares. All big American cities have parts that look like that, but in my experience, no other city's derelict side is so extensive.

On the other hand, in some aspects, Detroit's image has never been better. How many times have you heard the city being compared to Brooklyn, Berlin or Manchester [[England, not Michigan)?
    Last edited by Carey; July-24-11 at 04:43 PM.

I'm actually completely OK with the world's perception of Detroit. It gives me and other people like me a chance to stake out a claim and make part of the city mine. Meanwhile, everyone looks the other way or scoffs. Great things are happening but they're under the world's radar right now. However, in ten or fifteen years, the city's perception will catch up to the great things that will have happened, and the "little guys" and the "fools" will be on top because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I agree with you on a lot, but not on this one. I'm under no illusion that Detroit is the greatest city -- or even a great city right now -- but the perception that people have about the place is often ridiculous compared to reality. At first, I chalked it up to the thoughts of just a few irrational people until I realized that nearly EVERYBODY had these absurd ideas of what it's like there.
    25% of it's population have exited in the last 10 years [[60% in the last 50 years) and 5 companies are having to pay people to move to Detroit to live. Maybe "nearly everybody" knows something you don't and you are the one under the illusion. Before you can solve the problem you first have to recognize that in reality there is one.
    Last edited by coracle; July-24-11 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    That hasn't been my experience at all. Most people comment on the good things they are hearing about Detroit. I've heard this going back some ten years. Do these people you encounter have an overly negative view of Detroit or do you just have an overly positive view of Detroit? Most things do look better from afar.

What absurd ideas do they have about Detroit? I'm wondering how much more absurd they can be than the reality.

I don't know of any magical answer; only slow steady process

"Before you can solve the problem you first have to recognize that in reality there is one."

I've heard this so much about detroit and it often puzzles me. Even the most hardcore detroit boosters [[myself included) are having no delusions about the problems the city. Most of us are quite aware of the problems; we kind of have to grandstand a little with positive developments just so we aren't overcome by depression.

Its kind of a situation where theres no winning. If we get some positive articles about downtown or midtown etc it either gets overplayed or played off as just some dumb hipster thing that is doomed to fail. Is anyone actually suggesting that there isn't enough press about detroits problems? I guess my point is we're not idiots; we have to take good news whenever we can but the bad news is well known and documented. Keep in mind its just as irresponsible to paint the entire city as looking like delray than to say its all a thriving midtown. You can put a positive spin on detroit without lying or being dishonest.

I've seen a lot of good things so far. Frankly, I don't believe Detroit needs to do anything for its image. The citizenry is mostly law abiding; it's a minority of people who are the problem. Many neighborhoods are in disrepair, but there are numerous pockets that are fantastic. The image will improve with time. Detroiters [[those who choose to live their, not those who are stuck) must continue to live for that future. Who cares what others think?

Image is overrated. Remember, Detroit doesn't get by on her looks -- she works for a living.

How to solve the identity problem? Don't worry about it. Like I said in the other thread, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo and Tacoma all have poor images and there's probably nothing one can do to change the preception. On the other tact, Seattle has an excellent image, one that would hold even if Boeing tanked again like it did in the early 70's.

I don't think there's any question Detroit will improve, but alas it's image will probably stay the same. So what. You're not going to impress someone from the New York Times anyway. Why bother.

I agree we have a lot of fixin' but we're still better in many respects than Gary, Saginaw, and Flint. Toledo did not fare the post-appocoplypse well either.

Learn to be less defensive. Don't get your nose out of joint. Remember that the Motor City is still full of things like the Opera House, Art Museum, new stadii, Cobo........

While the DPS needs work, look at the universities and colleges. Wayne, UDM, and CCS are ranked tops in several subjects. While we lost 250k over the last ten years the percentage of college educated folks rose. We're smaller and smarter.

Those who lived through the worst will keep Detroit stigmatized by telling their stories. The image of Detroit cannot come back until all those currently living through its rebirth can outnumber such stories of its decline.

Growing up in the suburbs my perception of Detroit was severely impacted by the picture my parents and relatives, all former Detroiters, had painted for me. I had always considered it a wasteland where nobody was civil. Moving to Detroit definitely blew my mind how wrong they all were. Unfortunately, it will take generations before this image can dissolve. Especially when there is so much progress yet to be made.

Those who lived through the worst will keep Detroit stigmatized by telling their stories. The image of Detroit cannot come back until all those currently living through its rebirth can outnumber such stories of its decline.

Growing up in the suburbs my perception of Detroit was severely impacted by the picture my parents and relatives, all former Detroiters, had painted for me. I had always considered it a wasteland where nobody was civil. Moving to Detroit definitely blew my mind how wrong they all were. Unfortunately, it will take generations before this image can dissolve. Especially when there is so much progress yet to be made.

I've never been to Detroit, but I definitely know the national opinion is not great. I hear some of the same opinions about St. Louis or Cleveland, but not as bad as what I read/hear about Detroit.

A few years ago a Swedish newspaper was covering something hockey-related in Detroit. They wrote blog entries [[I used Google translate to figure it out). The translation was not perfect, but the general gist of it was that they did not feel safe in Detroit. It was a regional newspaper, but probably still not good for the city's image.

I'm not really sure what Detroit could do about it, though, since I don't live there. People complain about St. Louis, too, but its reputation has improved the past decade or so, but the Downtown area has vastly improved, so that helps. Still, every time the national crime rates come out the anti-city people make a lot of noise. There are car break-ins Downtown during games, so that makes people feel somewhat unsafe, even though the Downtown area is pretty safe. That's the area most people see, so it makes the most impression on them. As it improves, so does St. Louis' image. There have been some good commercials made the past few years and good press, so that helps. I'm not sure if that has any parallels to Detroit or not.

Once/if the economy improves, that should help most cities' images.

I think part of the problem for any city is peoples' words. Negative or positive opinions can change things for the better or the worse.

I think many people from either coast consider the Midwest flyover country anyway, so not much can be done about that.
    Last edited by LeannaM; July-25-11 at 12:42 AM.

agrahlma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    We're smaller and smarter.
    Love it! I'm going to keep that one in my back pocket. 2 x thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Image is overrated. Remember, Detroit doesn't get by on her looks -- she works for a living.
    You are awesome! I will be quoting you next time some smartalec has something stupid to say.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    You are awesome! I will be quoting you next time some smartalec has something stupid to say.
    I wish I could claim it, but I'm just paraphrasing the great Elmore Leonard, who crafted the turn of phrase:

"Other cities get by on their looks; Detroit has to work for a living."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast