Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Artists Announce They've Found All The Beauty They Can In Urban Decay

Loved this Onion article:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/art...ty-they,20973/

DETROIT—After spending more than a century exploiting urban decay to create deeply moving, socially conscious works of art, the art world announced Tuesday that it had captured all the beauty it was going to find in rusted-out cars, abandoned houses, and condemned industrial sites. "These modern ruins speak to the very heart of the human condition, but at this point every last inch of Detroit and Oakland has been documented in photographs, on film, or as part of a multimedia installation," said artist Devon Gerhart, who told reporters that devoting so much time to contemplating the wounded grandeur of blighted cityscapes had led him to the point where he just wanted to see the places cleaned up. "I made my career portraying the plight of the homeless, but now I'm starting to wonder whether they'd prefer it if someone just helped them find a place to live." The world's artists later confirmed plans to spend at least another 50 years churning out heavy-handed depictions of the inherent soullessness of suburban sprawl.

Funny. Too bad it's not true.

LOL! That indeed is a form of decal ala 'suburban decay' one could argue ala sprawl! Doen't look like much natural rain fall... duh! Hope the water systems don't go down.......
    Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-24-11 at 09:49 AM.

That picture is gross. Looks like a Martian landscape.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    That picture is gross. Looks like a Martian landscape.

Stromberg2
    funny I thought it looked like Vegas or Phoenix!

I love the Onion. I wonder how the get things so close to the pulse of what is going on? do locals submit articles?

Default balance

perhaps a healthy balance between being conscious of the urban decay and being repelled by the suburban sprawl...

Im glad the artists have had enough, now we can start fixing stuff back up [[since they seem to have decided the decay was provided them as a courtesy)...... self absorbed artists [[Oh, wait , Im one too, OOPS)

Maybe the artists can start a business and create some jobs. That'd be a lasting monumental achievement.

Default Artists Announce No More Beauty in Urban Decay