Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 678 Selden, $30k

http://www.loopnet.com/lid/17258216

This has to be the cheapest property in Cass Corridor!

GUSHI Guest

The price is low, but 30 unit to renovate, could be very costly. No parking

Is a parking lot in this neighborhood really that desireable? I mean, look at all the apartments on Second an Third, most don't have lots. Street parking is sorta the norm here.

GUSHI Guest

You do have a point, I wonder what kind of condition the building is inside, any idea?

The listing mentions the scrappers had their way with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    You do have a point, I wonder what kind of condition the building is inside, any idea?
    It's probablly a shell, if the lot was larger, it might be worth the 30k. I would say about 40 thousand to knock it down.

To need an replace of all major systems means that that building is essentially worthless. You'll spend more money fixing the building than it currently costs. It's a money pit.

detroitjim Guest

Where do the Austrailians be when you need um!

25k per unit minimum to re-hab. That's probably being very optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmc View Post
    To need an replace of all major systems means that that building is essentially worthless. You'll spend more money fixing the building than it currently costs. It's a money pit.
    Sometimes thats true but sometimes it makes financial sense to start fresh. I've actually been working on a building lately that we're trying to sell as-is. All the old hvac, electrical, etc was pretty much shot and had been cobbled together through the years. Basically I stripped it down and cleaned it out for the next owners [[who can finish it however they want; i mean its a square cider block bldg)

Sometimes its more cost efficient to start fresh than to constantly fix outdated systems. Add in the economies of scale for labor and materials plus other benefits like higher efficiency [[adding insulation, more efficient hvac) If you start out with everything new and done right you can go a lot longer without maintenance problems [[and maintenance expenses) The fact that you'd be spending several times the purchase price is irrelevant if the other numbers work.

Now this is a hypothetical argument for the specific building. If it were a little further north then someone would renovate it in a heartbeat and have a decent cash flow. Unfortunately I think lower cass still isn't very attractive so it may not make economic sense-at least yet. [[and even if the numbers did work its tough getting bank financing to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rencense View Post
    If it were a little further north then someone would renovate it in a heartbeat and have a decent cash flow. Unfortunately I think lower cass still isn't very attractive so it may not make economic sense-at least yet.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by rencense View Post
    even if the numbers did work its tough getting bank financing to do it.
    It will get there some day, but but it will take time and banks will need to make financing available again.