Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit is the next [[insert-city-here)

Hey guys, it's Michelle from WDET.

We've been keeping an eye on all of the comparisons between Detroit and Brooklyn, Pittsburgh, Berlin [[insert-city-here). While we think learning from other cities is vital, at what point do we cut a uniquely divergent path?

What part of the comparison approach is useful? Does it distract us from focusing on the real work at hand? What are the main assets we need to throw our weight behind and grow - and what are the missing elements we need to find, nurture or steal from someplace else?

Read our full thoughts on the matter here and let us know where you stand. I'm interested to hear what you have to say on this.

Gee, I guess the sound bite is now considered long-form journalism.

muskie1 Guest

Keep in mind that I left the area in '72, but I really get tired of people comparing Detroit to anything, be it Brooklyn, Pittsburgh or Spokane. I admit the comparison model is valid when one looks at how other cities restored themselves and how their plans and ideas [[or pieces of them) could or could not work in Detroit, but like any other city, it is individual in its problems and solutions.

As to the image of the city itself that outsiders hold, who cares. I get tired of the portrail of the city, but like Cleveland and Buffalo, that image is going to be around 40 years from now no matter what happens, in the same way it always has since the summer of '67. Nothing you can do about it, except try to make the best city possible and to hell with what any outsider thinks.

Detroit is the next city where BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS.

There are some activities or processes that other cities do and that we can learn from.

However, those who "wish Detroit was city xyz" should just move to city xyz. No harm, no foul.. i f you prefer a city without the Great Lakes, without the automotive industry, whatever the case may be... just go on ahead and stop telling those of us who like living here that we are wrong. It is personal preference.

Detroit isn't going to be another city. Detroit can do things better as all cities can, and can learn from new ideas as all cities can, but simply saying that you wish Detroit was another city makes no sense. Detroit needs diversity economically but that doesn't mean that automotive is evil. Detroit needs more regional cooperation, but that doesn't mean that New York City is "better."

Newark. Youngstown. Wheeling.

Legalize prostitution and weed, and rediscover [[or in Detroit's case, discover) the riverfront and flip the script: Amsterdam

Johannesburg