Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I don't necessarily think that the arena and new district will determine whether the building gets rehabbed or not. GCP is already a desirable area with Comerica, the Broderick, Whitney, restaurants, renovated Park Apts, and the soon to be developed Statler site all right there. Will massive development behind it help it become more attractive? Yea, but I don't think it hinges on it.

Bumping this thread as it seems the Park Ave. Building is on the market after Sachs' death earlier this year.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...r-owners-death

I just wish the Charlevoix could have held out a little longer for his death.

How sad that he held this building for decades and did nothing with it. With the diminished pool of big vacant properties downtown, maybe this one will finally have a future.

DetroitNightLights Guest

Several of the Loft's of Merchant's Row buildings on Woodward had back hallways built to connect the buildings to save on elevator costs. Could something like that be done with the Park Ave, and adjacent Briggs Houze apartment building?http://www.houzeliving.com/view-our-...ggs-houze.html

Finally the last building fronting GCP can be revitalized [[not counting the Fine Arts facade). It truly is maddening though to look at GCP and realize that had the Statler been able to hold on for another 5 or so years, that hulk would also have been/in process of redevelopment. Throw in the Tuller and, gasp, it would look incredible.

This building will no doubt be gobbled up by a hungry real estate developer. I wonder how much it will go for. Will be prime for apartment rentals like the next door briggz houze, and down the block from the Kales and other residential developments! Hope some nice retail will fill in the ground floor

This combined with the groundbreaking today of the statler is great news for the park frontage [[although i know we all have reservations about the building design, hopefully they've updated it so theres some more height fronting GCP)

Wouldn't be surprised if Gilbert bought it to extend his footprint over to the north side of Grand Circus.

Park Ave. Building has applied for Brownfield and hearing has been scheduled.
    http://www.degc.org/wp-content/uploa...uBemgao5KZCgD4

Additionally, based on the plans, ground-floor retail and apartments above.
    http://www.degc.org/wp-content/uploa...F_t9deENIA9zO8
    A mix of 78 units of studio, 1-2-and-3 bedroom apartments

Briggs, Broderick, Whitney, Kales, City Club now Park Ave...Grand Circus Park has the potential to boom very soon. Connectivity of the Capital Park and Grand Corcus Park districts would be a big lift for the West side of downtown.

Speaking of Briggs Building [[just west of Park Ave. Bldg.)... has a restaurant opened yet in the surviving lobby of the original Oriental Theatre [[built 1927, auditorium razed 1953)?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Speaking of Briggs Building [[just west of Park Ave. Bldg.)... has a restaurant opened yet in the surviving lobby of the original Oriental Theatre [[built 1927, auditorium razed 1953)?
    Yes, PAO is open. I was just in there yesterday in fact. While I didn't partake in any food or beverage, the lobby has been nicely restored and the restaurant did a great job integrating modern touches with the ornamental design of the lobby. In other words, it's a pretty cool space.

Last I saw [[about 15 years ago) there was still a fair bit of the original interior, if I remember correctly. Did they restore some of it? Photos, anyone?

If only there wasn't a gaping hole in the streetwall where the Fine Arts facade is. And the Statler was still there. And the Tuller was still there. And the UA wasn't a hulking POS that Illitch won't do anything with. But hey, better then nothing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    If only there wasn't a gaping hole in the streetwall where the Fine Arts facade is. And the Statler was still there. And the Tuller was still there. And the UA wasn't a hulking POS that Illitch won't do anything with. But hey, better then nothing, right?
    That missing gap between the Fine Arts [[facade) and Kales Building was the Shurley Hospital... and eye, ear, nose and throat hospital of 7 stories... demolished when Dr. Shurley died in the 1950s, and the hospital closed.Name:  GCP Hurley Hospital.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  109.4 KB

... another image of the now "gap"....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2