Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dte rates / kill a watt setting

Hey anyone using a kill a watt device on dte residental service? What are you using as the rate? My bill shows .074 $ kwh seems low

I'm not in the area any more, but I looked up their rates a year or two back for comparison. I think you're only using the actual power rate and not including the Delivery charge or whatever they call it. I seem to remember that was another few cents per KWh. If I remember right, it averaged out to about 12 or 13 cents per KWh which I thought was quite high.

When I was there in the 90s, Edison's bills were a lot easier to read and the rate was about 6 or 7 cents.

http://www.dteenergy.com/pdfs/electricRateOptions.pdf

Went and looked again.

6.726 cents per kWh for the first 17kWh per day
    8.136 cents per kWh above that

So your 7.4 cents is probably right if you're averaging out your monthly bill, but that will vary based on usage.

However, they also charge a Distribution fee of 4.195 cents per kWh which should be added to your 7.4 cents, making it about 11.6 cents per kWh total plus the $6.00/ meter charge and taxes.

There are other rates you can sign up for depending on what your using electricity for and when.

If you use central air in the summer you can sign up for CoolCurrents, in which a second meter is installed hooking up directly to your compressor. The rate is 5.853 June through Oct, and 3.889 Nov through May. $1.95 service charge, and 4.498 distribution.

If you use an electric water heater, they'll also hook up a seperate meter and charge you 3.873 per kwh, $1.95 service charge, and 4.498 distribution.

Both or these are interruptable.

Theres time of day options for those who dont use much power during peak hours, 11-7. On peak is 11.931, off-peak is 3.816. But the service charge is high, $19.00 a month. and so is distribution, 5,264.

Remember folks, electricity is more expensive than gas. Take it from a former DTE contractor, buy energystar, get your home weatherized and your power bills will go down!

Oh yeah, for those of you who are seniors or people who look after seniors, make sure to check your bill for the senior rate. People get this confused with the senior program, which is something entirely different. This rate is NOT the senior discount, contrary to popular belief.

The senior rate is one of DTEs lowest, at 4.803 per kwh, $6.00 service charge, 1.413 distribution. But the cap on usage is not 17.0 kwh avg. per day like the regular rate, it's 10.0. The overage for every kWh over 10.0 per day is 13.568. This is set up this way to deter people from getting their elders to cut their utilities on in the senior persons name to get the lower rate.

You need to do the math to figue out if the overage you pay every month compared to what it would be under the normal residential rate is worth it.

You guys wouldn't believe the number of seniors I've educated about their bills after they told me they were paying $300-400 a month for electricity in May!

It's kilowatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    It's kilowatt.

No, it's Kill A Watt® :

http://www.p3international.com/products/p4460.html

No, it's Kill A Watt® :

Oh, ok. Sorry.

and electric utilities bill on kWh [[killowatt hours).

LOL! I prefer 'Kill a Watt'... I feel my bill is killing this 'Watt' [[me)... but I manage pay it somehow. I know my bill is going to spike as I've been running my little window air conditioner like a maniac lately.

Check out the taxes on your utility bill! That's noteworthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    It's kilowatt.

I was monitoring the use of a space heater that we were using off and on over the winter, and I think I estimated $0.15/KwH as the cost which roughly included the energy, the delivery charge and taxes based on the assumption that this was the 2nd tier of pricing.

thanks for the replies. i setup a dedicated bitcoin miner that pulls 850W 24/7. I will use the data from the kilawat to determine my profit margin.