Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Obamas nomination of Sotomayor

wow, unless I didn't seen any posts about his nomination, I am surprised that no ones mentioned it on this board

Any thoughts about his nomination of a woman, a latina who has been described as a liberal and who was brought up in the Bronx and yes,a Yankees fan?

Any thoughts about her on film discussing the Court of Appeals and what its function is , as well as her ruling against the white fire fighters? Jane

No, not really.

Looking at this choice as one of maybe 2 or 3 that Obama will get as he tries to move the court from its conservative activist majority to more to the center.

4real Guest

You mean the liberal activist judges on the court? like the ex ACLU freak Ginsberg.

Now Obama throws a activist liberal bigot to try to court the Hispanic vote.
    I don't know if it matters much because anyone he appoints will have an activist liberal agenda to change the US instead of appointing someone who actually upholds the Constitution and states rights.

Quote Originally Posted by 4real View Post
    You mean the liberal activist judges on the court? like the ex ACLU freak Ginsberg.

I don't know if it matters much because anyone he appoints will have an activist liberal agenda to change the US instead of appointing someone who actually upholds the Constitution and states rights.
    I'm calling bullshit on this one. Where was your argument in 2000???

4real Guest

you can call whatever you want, I strongly believe in the 1st amendment.

I'm talking about the present, today, now, what are you talking about?

you can call whatever you want, I strongly believe in the 1st amendment.

I'm talking about the present, today, now, what are you talking about?
    Well...There are 26 others that are just as important as the 1st.

My favorite happens to be the 9th, and I am strong believer in that particular amendment

activist judges -- funnnnnnnny

the "liberals" on the court have voted against laws made by the people's representatives 44%. It is the CONSERVATIVES who have been actively overturning legislation -- 56%

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post

the "liberals" on the court have voted against laws made by the people's representatives 44%. It is the CONSERVATIVES who have been actively overturning legislation -- 56%
    Exactly, I thought you would pick up on the fact that I said conservative activist judges because as you stated it is true.

And what is Michael Steele doing as chairman of the RNC, but being a transparent attempt by the GOP to try and court the AA vote? For that matter Alberto Gonzalez as AG for the Hispanic vote in '06?

She won't be CJ and will add more diversity to the SC, by representing the Hispanic portion of the US population, which is growing faster than any other segment.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
    She won't be CJ and will add more diversity to the SC, by representing the Hispanic portion of the US population, which is growing faster than any other segment.
    Maybe next appointment Obama can put in an African-American since we currently don't have one, all we have is a puppet to Antonin Scalia.

Come on, white judeo-christian males don't have to fear a government takeover anytime soon. We've had only one minority and no females in the Presidency. The Senate is 1% african american, 3% hispanic american, 1% asian american, 0% native american, and 17% female. The House is 9%, 6%, 1%, 1/2%, and 17% respectively and there's only been one muslim congressman in the entire history of the United States. . http://www.centeroncongress.org/lear...rs.html#makeup

I'm sure there's at least one female and/or minority that is extremely intelligent and highly qualified. Give partial diversity a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeofAletall View Post
    Whats his new role going to be? Secretary of Racial Harmony in Der Homeland?
    I thought the Nazis were racist.

As a first it is a righteous thing to do but as a matter of principle I would never appoint a sexist and a racist to the highest court in the land but then agsain, I'm just a "typical white person".?
    no, you sound like a typical druggie limbaugh parrot with no understanding of the real world

No, sorry. It seems like this whole election has been carefully crafted as a racial thing coming from the left.
    now you simply sound like a paranoid, racist fool

Every damn day its been about white this, black that, hispanic this,asian that etc etc etc.
    know you just sound more and more moronic

Talk about wearing out the race card liberals. You have made this entire thing about race and at every turn took a shot at calling people racist who disagreed with you.
    At least you pulled back your dog Sharpton from crying wolf every 5 secs of every damn day...
    your racism is now screaming from the pages. you are using every bit of racist code language right out of the druggie and rove playbook

But obviously the question of her racism and sexism is too much for you to actually elaborate on therefore you answer me back with a racist undertoned statement.
    I've heard many things about her, but where are you getting this racist/sexist bullshit?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post

Activist has no more connection to liberal or conservative than orange has to short or tall.

Judges can overturn previous cases and they can invalidate legislation. Only Congress can overturn previous legislation. An Activist Judge is a judge that believes that the Consitution provides implied federal powers. A Strict Constructionalist believes that if you can't find it in the Constitution, the Feds don't have the Power. So, Strict Constructionalists generally invalidate more legislation.
    Last edited by mjs; May-28-09 at 09:48 AM.

FreeofAleTall, where did I say or imply you were racist? I used data to point out that restricting the choice to a minority and/or female is not racism, but a much needed diversity producing effort. Racism is saying that we need a Hispanic American female because whites and males are too stupid to handle the job. Your "der homeland" crack implied that those you were debating were as racist and totalitarian as the Nazi's. I used sarcasm to point out that the argument was an absurd exaggeration.

Chill out. I prefer to attack arguments rather than people. Don't take every thing so damned personal.
    Last edited by mjs; May-27-09 at 02:40 PM.

I don't see how this will help to court votes. The majority of U.S. hispanics, aside from Puerto Ricans and perhaps some Americanized latinos, won't care about this nomination. They are much more concerned with a solution to the immigration issue. Latin america has a wide variety of nationality groups and there is often tension between them. They don't help each other out as much as other new immigrants do [[Koreans for example). There is a lot of resentment towards Puerto Ricans, as many think they are "better" than other hispanics due to their automatic U.S. citizenship.

Nice try but I am not going for it.

Tell you what though. I won't even bother copying and pasting and sending this ridulous rant personally attacking me to the administrtors of this site.

Not that I think it would make any bit of difference.

Enjoy !
    dude, your rants were exactly how i described them. it's not semantics, I was talking about how you sound, except that last part, and that paragraph WAS screaming racism and the whole post was quite despicable and hate-filled

Her saying she is more qualified than a white male is racist.
    Unless she is telling the truth, in which case YOU are the racist

Restricting any job on the basis of color, ethnicty, religion etc is racist.

Her upholding a ruling denying white men and hispnaic man a job based solely on their skin color is racist.

Affirmitive action is no longer needed and is more of a racist tool than anything hindering those best qualified to perform jobs badly needed in our society.

This is no longer the America of the 1960s and has not been for a many number of years.
    Its too bad you liberals dont get it. Or maybe you do but just do not have a problem discriminating against a "certain group of people" based on the color of their skin.

I think its the ladder.

Id rather have a firefighter that is intelligent than a politically correct appointee that is going to cost someone their life.
    For the record, everything about this post was racist. And its LATTER

FreeofAleTall, definitions are key to good communication. Merriam-Webster defines racism as "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race" and affirmative action as "an active effort to improve the employment or educational opportunities of members of minority groups and women". If your talking about the sexes, its sexism.

You are arguing against affirmative action and keep using the term racism and wondering why people don't understand your argument.
    Last edited by mjs; May-27-09 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    I don't see how this will help to court votes. The majority of U.S. hispanics, aside from Puerto Ricans and perhaps some Americanized latinos, won't care about this nomination. They are much more concerned with a solution to the immigration issue. Latin america has a wide variety of nationality groups and there is often tension between them. They don't help each other out as much as other new immigrants do [[Koreans for example). There is a lot of resentment towards Puerto Ricans, as many think they are "better" than other hispanics due to their automatic U.S. citizenship.
    I agree with that assessment but I also believe that if the Republicans put up too much of a fuss with this appointment they can write off the hispanic vote in the next election cycle. Effectively what Obama has done is to box the republicans in by putting a qualitified female hispanic for SCOTUS, the republicans want to push back, but they need to start winning some elections since they have been pounded the last two election cycles. As a result the president keeps his domestic agenda on track , and starts to shape the court along the lines that he thinks it should be.

The battle we should expect to see is if one of the conservative majority retires and who Obama would pick to replace that person.

Restricting any job on the basis of color, ethnicty, religion etc is racist.

Her upholding
    a ruling denying white men and hispnaic man a job based solely on their skin color is racist.

Affirmitive action is no longer needed and is more of a racist tool than anything hindering those best qualified to perform jobs badly needed in our society.

This is no longer the America of the 1960s and has not been for a many number of years.
    Its too bad you liberals dont get it. Or maybe you do but just do not have a problem discriminating against a "certain group of people" based on the color of their skin.

I think its the ladder.

Id
    rather have a firefighter that is intelligent than a politically correct appointee that is going to cost someone their life.

You should not post a reply like this, admonishing liberals for "not getting it" when you are unable to spell words, use punctuation, or construct sentences or paragraphs using proper English. Being on the internet, with the ability to easily check your spelling, as well as having the ability to use browsers that have built-in spell check is inexcusable, IMO. I can not speak for anyone else who posts here, but you lose credibility points with me, and I find the authoritative tone to your posts to be unearned and undeserved.

Troll bait.

ccbatson Guest

Don't let this be turned into a race or gender question...it is a question of the wrongness of liberal activist [[or any activist judges) making laws instead of interpreting them.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast