Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default The Great Detroit Heat Wave of 2011

I am afraid of my bedroom. I may ending up sleeping on the floor in front of the only [[weak) ac unit in my house where I am laying, sweating, now. Today's supposed to be the coolest until Saturday.

Brownouts beckoning.

The only question is, how long until people start acting crazy?

Yall better hydrate DetroitYes.

I don't have AC in the house...gotta get outside and live a little!

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post

The only question is, how long until people start acting crazy?

Yall better hydrate DetroitYes.
    I thank the Lord Baby Jeebus every day for central Air. Fuck this heat.

lilpup Guest

used to be, way back when the city was still civilized, people would go out to Belle Isle and sleep in the river breeze

This is nothing compared to the heatwave of 1936 in Detroit. My Father use to tell me stories about all those consecutive 100 degree days, and the Iceman was the busiest guy in town !!

Take care in the heat! Unsurprisingly it's raining here in the UK, but then it is July and so you have to expect these things!

Krypto has no AC any longer. It died last summer. I enjoyed central air but really don't miss it. My job is air conditioned and my car.

THumbs up to the Detroiters/Michiganders without AC!

http://news.yahoo.com/heat-dome-trap...093241732.html

Much of the United States is trapped under a heat "dome" caused by a huge area of high pressure that's compressing hot, moist air beneath it, leading to miserable temperatures in the mid-90s to low 100s and heat-index levels well above 100 degrees
    Heat dome? Never heard of that before.

But relief is on the way. Cooler air should begin moving into the Plains states this weekend, as a strong pool of air from the jet stream begins to push hot air out of the way in the Dakotas and into Minnesota before making its way east. By Monday, temperatures will drop into the mid-80s in the north,

someone sez..... "But relief is on the way. Cooler air should begin moving into the Plains states this weekend, as a strong pool of air from the jet stream begins to push hot air out of the way in the Dakotas and into Minnesota before making its way east. By Monday, temperatures will drop into the mid-80s in the north."

Only for a liitle while then the heat dome will come back. It will last [[ mostly) to mid August. This is a La Nina created heat dome. It slowly budges from the midwest to the New England areas. The Heat dome blocks out cloud making convection into thunderstorms but cooler air rides at the back end of the heat dome. It's made out of high pressure meant to keep the gulf moisture from entering the midwest. The result is more droughts in the south and Texas. There will be More flow of Monsoonal rains to popcorn thunderstorms from New Mexico to the North Dakotas. The heat dome will bring paratropical heat up to 120 degrees to the midwest to New England areas in America. This event happens since last glacial maximum 10,000 years ago. So get used to it and don't complain about it. The middle part of North America enviroment will get a global warming preview that would look the the enviroment out of the Jurassic Period.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Even the Dinosaurs don't complain about the heat. They like it.

Neda, I miss you so.

So get used to it and don't complain about it
    Here's my weather prediction: people will keep complaining about it.

Doesn't compare to the heat wave in the Summer 1988, late June thru August. Dry too.

http://www.geodata.us/weather/place....0States&y=1988

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Doesn't compare to the heat wave in the Summer 1988, late June thru August. Dry too.

Man, I do not remember that. I'll quit bitching about this stretch of heat now; at least for an hour or two

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post

I remember that year like it was yesterday. My friend always cancelled her golf leagues games in favor eating out in an A/C'd restaurant, & I went apartment hunting every weekend in a car with no A/C. I remember one Saturday it being 106 degrees.
    Last edited by jackie5275; July-20-11 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling

I think we hit 100 about 6 or 7 times plus the 90's at least 45 times that summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    This is nothing compared to the heatwave of 1936 in Detroit. My Father use to tell me stories about all those consecutive 100 degree days, and the Iceman was the busiest guy in town !!
    Cincy, I was born October of 1936. Until my mother's dying day, I heard stories of how horrible the summer was that year while she was pregnant with me. Frankly, I was quite comfortable.

Obviously - since you moved to Las Vegas! A good case for in-utero patterning

Love that link, looking for the year without a summer. Anyone remember that one?

No doubt. It warrants a wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1936_No...ican_heat_wave

My central is dialed down to a comfortable 74 degrees and has been since before Memorial Day!
    We have been lucky so far with no interuption to our electric service this year. After the power grid failure in 2004 we installed a home generator and have only used it 3x since.It's a relief to know its there though!

The dangers of advance weather forecasts:

So what can Michigan expect over the summer months? Most meteorologists are expecting the La Nina weather pattern to finally end. According to Senior Meteorologist Paul Pastelok of AccuWeather, Michigan can expect repeated downflows of cool Canadian air to continue over the summer months making 2011 a year "without summer". He said that days that reach 90 degrees will be rare.

OK, it was a chilly summer just two years ago. Check out July 2009, average maximum temperature 79 degrees. People complained about that too.

The worst I ever experienced was 122° in Phoenix. They shut down Sky Harbor airport because no aircraft had ever been tested at that temperature.

My heart goes out to those without air conditioning.

Tip: fill a spray bottle with isopropyl alcohol and spray it on your arms occasionally. Don't use it around any ignition source though.

bartock Guest

Found this article. What an incredible week that was! Death toll over 300, 7 consecutive days of 100+.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=134

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    OK, it was a chilly summer just two years ago. Check out July 2009, average maximum temperature 79 degrees. People complained about that too.
    I didn't complain. I think my A/C ran 6 times that year. I loved having the windows open & a low electric bill.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I didn't complain. I think my A/C ran 6 times that year. I loved having the windows open & a low electric bill.
    I'm with you jackie. I love the cooler temps.
    If it never topped about 70 degrees in the summer here, I'd be happy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast