Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    When those in power wield their power in a racist way, that is racism, regardless of what color the racist is. Look up the city of Detroit's org chart someday and tell me about how that works within your parameters.
    And then compare poverty and education levels of the citizens of Detroit related to their race.

GUSHI Guest

I not arguing what your saying. But if we were to compare the "education levels" of the small business owners in the city limit, [[party stores, gas stations, coney island) I can gurantee you that most have no "education" outside of the school of hard knocks. They very mostly immigrants start ups. I know some coney island owners that can barely read a magazine. When they came to the U.S., most lived in poverty.4 families in a house, not able to read or barely right there own name, shit my dad tells me that he was scared of Polish people[[not all), because they didn't want others in there neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    And then compare poverty and education levels of the citizens of Detroit related to their race.

GUSHI Guest

If there is a will there is a way, you can't blame education and poverty, because you may wanna sit on ur azz and work the system.

Vox Guest

Right. And this becomes the fault of who? Last I looked, kids in Detroit are given just as much money to be educated as most districts in the state. Poverty shouldn't enter into it if one avails themselves of educational opportunity.

Right. And this becomes the fault of who? Last I looked, kids in Detroit are given just as much money to be educated as most districts in the state. Poverty shouldn't enter into it if one avails themselves of educational opportunity.
    If you want to ignore the systematic problems, sure. Unfortunately, that's not all it takes in the real world.

bartock Guest

It is hard to argue with someone whose responses are limited to condescending one-liners about enlightenment, intelligence, living in the real world, David Duke and Adolph Hitler. Oh, and the occasional reference to mid-80s "fish out of water" movies.

I think it has more to do with the lack of a valid argument. The discrimination black people & white people face are not comparable. Claiming everyone is currently on equal footing is ignorant. Nothing more needs to be said.

I think it has more to do with the lack of a valid argument. The discrimination black people & white people face are not comparable. Claiming everyone is currently on equal footing is ignorant. Nothing more needs to be said.
    I completely agree.

I know that, ceteris paribus, I would have a much harder time getting into a public sector job or college because of my race. I would also be ineligible for several scholarships because of my race. Your comment is right on and applaud you for your enlightened post.

lilpup Guest

Claiming everyone will ever be on 'equal' footing is ignorant and ignores the basics of humanity, especially a humanity that is resource stressed.

The labeling of 'others' goes on no matter what - be it gender, race, sexual orientation, religious persuasion, whatever. And all groups are as bad as other groups - none get a free pass.

bartock Guest

Well, I suppose you win the straw man argument since nowhere on this thread was that argument ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Well, I suppose you win the straw man argument since nowhere on this thread was that argument ever made.
    You're right. No real argument was made at all. You posted a definition because you wanted to play a semantic game, but that's about it.

Please, grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Claiming everyone will ever be on 'equal' footing is ignorant and ignores the basics of humanity, especially a humanity that is resource stressed.

The labeling of 'others' goes on no matter what - be it gender, race, sexual orientation, religious persuasion, whatever. And all groups are as bad as other groups - none get a free pass.
    I agree, but I don't know what you're trying to imply in this thread.

bartock Guest

You're right. No real argument was made at all. You posted a definition because you wanted to play a semantic game, but that's about it.

Please, grow up.
    Read lilpup's post. Read it slowly, read it carefully. That was my point. Read my posts slowly and carefully. The definition of discrimination was posted because it covers all genders, races, sexual orientation, etc.

I realize it is hard to let someone hold your hand to walk you through the logic when you are using that hand to pat your own back.

When those in power wield their power in a racist way, that is racism, regardless of what color the racist is. Look up the city of Detroit's org chart someday and tell me about how that works within your parameters.
    Racists or simply corrupt demagogues? I'd argue that 80 percent of the people city leaders exploit are black, right? I've never had black police treat me in a racist way, or had black city inspectors treat me unfairly. In the old days, of course, the whole structure of Detroit was based on white supremacy, from mayor to dog catcher. You would compare pocket-padding black bureaucrats with THOSE bad old days? nkt

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    I completely agree.

I know that, ceteris paribus, I would have a much harder time getting into a public sector job or college because of my race. I would also be ineligible for several scholarships because of my race. Your comment is right on and applaud you for your enlightened post.
    Yes, that is true; my daughter applied for the Rosa Parks scholarship and was told she wasn't qualified because she was Caucasian.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Yes, that is true; my daughter applied for the Rosa Parks scholarship and was told she wasn't qualified because she was Caucasian.
    That was sort of my point ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    That was sort of my point ;-)
    I sort of figured that, too :-)

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Racists or simply corrupt demagogues? I'd argue that 80 percent of the people city leaders exploit are black, right? I've never had black police treat me in a racist way, or had black city inspectors treat me unfairly. In the old days, of course, the whole structure of Detroit was based on white supremacy, from mayor to dog catcher. You would compare pocket-padding black bureaucrats with THOSE bad old days? nkt
    Yes, they are both racists, AND demagogues. Now, if one goes into the city, or lives there, the predominant thinking of the blacks in power is "white? You deserve what you get while in the city" Or "we were discriminated enough, now it's your turn" or get refused information strictly because to do so would compromise a "black officer" [[in so many words) Sure. White guilt, as I said.

Vox Guest

If you want to ignore the systematic problems, sure. Unfortunately, that's not all it takes in the real world.
    And who's systemic problems are they? Who's responsibility is it to FIX said systemic problems? Can you enlighten me as to WHAT the systemic problems are? Help me out here!
    Last edited by Vox; July-22-11 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Read lilpup's post. Read it slowly, read it carefully. That was my point. Read my posts slowly and carefully. The definition of discrimination was posted because it covers all genders, races, sexual orientation, etc.

I realize it is hard to let someone hold your hand to walk you through the logic when you are using that hand to pat your own back.
    Yes, which goes immediately back to what I've said since the beginning. You're comparing the incomparable.

You just want to see your words in print, no matter how nonsensical they are.

You're the problem.

And who's systemic problems are they? Who's responsibility is it to FIX said systemic problems? Can you enlighten me as to WHAT the systemic problems are? Help me out here!
    They are everyone's problem. They are everyone's responsibility.

Unless you truly believe all races are on equal ground, I suspect you're just trolling.

There are, and have been since colonization, slavery, immigration and historic definitions of citizenship, strong systemic barriers to keep "others" from enjoying the prosperity envisioned by the founders for the people they defined as "all men."

It has always been easier for those "all men" to own property, obtain financing, hold office, obtain quality education, have a leg up from family and friends who already made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    That's one of my favorite ancient Greek quotes. Thanks, Det_ard.
    I actually think that's from the Bible: Job 12:2

No doubt but ye are the people, and wisdom shall die with you.

Vox Guest

They are everyone's problem. They are everyone's responsibility.

Unless you truly believe all races are on equal ground, I suspect you're just trolling.
    I asked for specific systemic problems, and you give me weak platitudes. Can't answer?

bartock Guest

Yes, which goes immediately back to what I've said since the beginning. You're comparing the incomparable.

You just want to see your words in print, no matter how nonsensical they are.

You're the problem.
    yes I want to see my words in print so five people can read them.

...and I make perfect sense because I'm brilliant.

There are people on this forum that I consistently disagree with who at least articulate a position and sprinkle reasonable commentary in with some of the occasional cattiness.

Your first post was self-serving and did not make any sense. You were helped along for awhile by one of those folks I was referring to above.

Since then your statements have consisted of telling people they are ignorant, don't understand things, need to get enlightened [[as you are, of course), that you are Crocodile Dundee and have a big knife, that I need to grow up and that people who point out the flaws in your stated way of thinking are trolls.

But, yes, I'm the problem.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast