Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Detroiters visiting Marquette

Beautiful 90 degree day. Took my dog to the north beach along a stretch of road heading towards Presque Isle in town.
    Big turnout...families with kids, teenagers, older peeps.
    Beautiful day on Superior. Very subdued, very laid back.
    So i took a dip, and headed out from my favorite summer spot.
    Ok, here we go.
    At the road crossing along the lake, a van waves me on to cross. So I step out, and almost got run over. The passenger side dude says "sorry", and laughs.
    Seconds later they pull over along the beach road, and a woman pops out of the side, with a ciggie in her
    mouth...soon thereafter she is screaming bloody murder at the driver as he starts to drive away.
    I turn back to see what the fuck is going on.
    He finds a spot to park, and the woman is yelling at the driver...cussing and going nuts.
    So, they all pile out and hit the beach..I walk over and notice a Kilpatrick bumper sticker.
    Mind you, the beach is usually a silent place with the lake lapping the shore, and a few ore boats blowing their horns on occasion.
    Out of curiosity, I double back and walk the beach...
    Loud, obnoxious, screaming fools drinking beer and tossing cans on this beautiful stretch of beach.
    Smoking ciggies, yelling at their kids, out of control.
    Everyone within 50 yards leave.
    I pray to god these Kilpatrick fuckers don't stay.
    Note: of my 40 years of going to to Marquette beaches, never have I witnessed obnoxious and loudmouthed assholes like this group.
    I feel better now.

And you know that they are Detroiters how....?

Right, that might be some other Kilpatrick.

I'm guessing by the Kilpatrick bumper sticker...

maybe the familial 'resemblance'?

Yooper, I pray to God there's no racial undertones in that story...

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Yooper, I pray to God there's no racial undertones in that story...
    What made you jump to that conclusion?

It's so hot here 95 degrees, that I went back to cool down.
    Nice and quiet now.
    Fresh garbage on the beach that otherwise one would never encounter.
    Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    It's so hot here 95 degrees, that I went back to cool down.
    Nice and quiet now.
    Fresh garbage on the beach that otherwise one would never encounter.
    Ever.
    I hate people that litter. And for that matter ignorant people.

What made you jump to that conclusion?
    Ok, glad there isn't, it would be stupid for someone to say something like that on this kind of forum.

The point of this post escapes me.

DetroitPole Guest

I hate people who disrupt other peoples' peace and quiet, and I must say Detroit has a very disproportionate number of people who do just that, unfortunately. Littering, too. The amount of people littering - not just litter, but people littering, disgusts me. I must clean peoples' litter off my lawn daily.

However, both living and working in Detroit I have not seen a Kilpatrick bumper sticker in YEARS. I call your bluff on that one. Mayoral bumper stickers aren't that widespread in the first place, and Kilpatrick? Come on. Too convenient.

Basically they were black and causing a scene, and since its Marquette, likely not from there. However since you couldn't say you asked for their drivers' licenses, you had to make something up about Detroit's most odious mayor's bumper sticker. Also not believable since people who are that socially backwards usually don't vote at all, either.

Let's just call a spade a spade here.

On a lighter note, went up north recently, absolutely beautiful. Needed to be reminded of that. Everyone should go up there and take it all in once in a while. Provided you are respectful of others.

It's like that time someone from MarquetteYES.com left that turd on the shores of DetroitYES.com. He had a Kivela bumper sticker so you know it was true.

Yooper, please tell us how you knew these loudmouths were Detroiters.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    And you know that they are Detroiters how....?
    Good question, no answer.

Even if there was a 'familial resemblance' how do you know if they weren't from, say, Flint or Saginaw or West Bloomfield or, ahem, Marquette? You know what they say about the word assume.

Sigh.... and to think that some people from Alpena I know think Rochester is ghetto....

[[Don't mind me... just another pointless post...)

Tommy Udo Guest

You better watch it!!!!!!!!!! I will come up there and find you and find the longest stairs and push you down HEEEE HEEEE HEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    However, both living and working in Detroit I have not seen a Kilpatrick bumper sticker in YEARS. I call your bluff on that one. Mayoral bumper stickers aren't that widespread in the first place, and Kilpatrick? Come on. Too convenient.

Basically they were black and causing a scene, and since its Marquette, likely not from there. However since you couldn't say you asked for their drivers' licenses, you had to make something up about Detroit's most odious mayor's bumper sticker. Also not believable since people who are that socially backwards usually don't vote at all, either.
    Damn, DetroitPole just went all Matlock on Yooper. Case closed!

Loud, obnoxious, screaming fools drinking beer and tossing cans on this beautiful stretch of beach.
    Smoking ciggies, yelling at their kids, out of control.
    Everyone within 50 yards leave.
    I pray to god these Kilpatrick fuckers don't stay.
    Note: of my 40 years of going to to Marquette beaches, never have I witnessed obnoxious and loudmouthed assholes like this group.
    I feel better now.
    Sounds like a typical day for any student attending Northern Michgan University in Marquette. I think you need to calm down bro.

Tim Boomer?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Good question, no answer.

Even if there was a 'familial resemblance' how do you know if they weren't from, say, Flint or Saginaw or West Bloomfield or, ahem, Marquette? You know what they say about the word assume.
    Who else would have a Kwame bumper sticker?

Aside from Detroit, Marquette is one of my fav cities in the state by far. I can't even count how many trips ive made up there [[esp when i had friends at nmu) The downtown, lake, and neighborhoods by campus are amazing. If I landed a good job [[say at nmu or the hospital) I could pretty easily imagine living there even if it meant always having to drive 6-8 hours to get downstate.

It doesnt always feel like the UP, I mean where else in the UP can you go to a starbucks, pier 1, or even walmart? I really don't like the premise of this thread though. Inconsiderate assholes come in all shapes and colors from all over. To suggest some [[obviously detroiters) jumped in the car and drove 450+ miles just to ruin your day is a bit of a stretch of imagination.

Stories like this is why I've never been to the UP north of the Straits, and don't particularly want to go. Sorry, but the feeling is mutual... many of us know that we're not welcome up there, so I'll take my hard-earned cash elsewhere. Better than being mistaken for being "loud and ghetto" simply because of the color of my skin... or people thinking that kind of treatment is justified because middle class blacks are supposed to exert some kind of mystic control over everyone who looks like us. Who wants to force things just to prove a point? Plenty of vacation spots will welcome my business without tension or hassle.

[[One of my best girlfriends is from the rural UP, and she says this kind of thing is typical up there.)

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Stories like this is why I've never been to the UP north of the Straits, and don't particularly want to go. Sorry, but the feeling is mutual... many of us know that we're not welcome up there, so I'll take my hard-earned cash elsewhere. Better than being mistaken for being "loud and ghetto" simply because of the color of my skin... or people thinking that kind of treatment is justified because middle class blacks are supposed to exert some kind of mystic control over everyone who looks like us. Who wants to force things just to prove a point? Plenty of vacation spots will welcome my business without tension or hassle.

[[One of my best girlfriends is from the rural UP, and she says this kind of thing is typical up there.)
    Unfortunately, it's not just the rural UP. This type of mentality exists in abundance throughout the entire state...probably most of the country.

"Stories like this is why I've never been to the UP north of the Straits, and don't particularly want to go. Sorry, but the feeling is mutual... many of us know that we're not welcome up there, so I'll take my hard-earned cash elsewhere."

You might want to make the point to visit someplace before you formulate ignorant opinions about them. sorry, i find that comment to be a little effed up.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast