Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default C A Young Building name change

The shadow Irish City Council in exile is planning to change all the names of the African American named buildings, parks, etc. back to Irish politico names once they have re-taken control of the city...to wash away the shame of the failed Coleman plus years of city govt.

Of course, this is just an unsubstantiated rumor so don't let it get around.

So wait, now were Boston?

I'm waiting for the Jack Kelley City County Building to put up a life size bronze statue honoring that great Irishman's tenure on city council.

Follow it up with the newly renamed [[Jerome) Cavanaugh Tech High School. [[formally Cass Tech)

However, as someone of Polish Decent, I think we need to recognize Detroit's Polish leaders as well. I propose the Roman Gribbs Convention Center,[[formally Cobo Hall) run jointly by Detroit, Wayne, Macomb, and Oakland counties.
    Last edited by Detroitej72; May-26-09 at 08:50 PM.

diver1369 Guest

Isn't Kilpatrick an Irish name?

Alfred P. Sloan needs to be honored somewhere in Detroit. Rename a stretch of 7 Mile for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I'm waiting for the Jack Kelley City County Building to put up a life size bronze statue honoring that great Irishman's tenure on city council.

Follow it up with the newly renamed [[Jerome) Cavernagh Tech High School. [[formally Cass Tech)

However, as someone of Polish Decent, I think we need to recognize Detroit's Polish leaders as well. I propose the Roman Gribbs Convention Center,[[formally Cobo Hall) run jointly by Detroit, Wayne, Macomb, and Oakland counties.

We should name a whiskey factory after Jack Kelley. I remember his Chief of Staff, Bill Reedy, had a saloon named after him called Reedy's saloon. He was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet, so was Jack Kelley away from the table. No matter his antics at the table, he knew his stuff. The same can be said for Ravitz, Cleveland, Eberhard and Hood as well.

Rename Harper Avenue after Cavanaugh, since that's were his son Chris likes to pick up his hookers on election day.

It's too bad that Tiger Stadium project isn't going to work out. A portion of it could be named after Gribbs. That would be extremely appropriate.

diver1369 Guest

Aren't Polish names, like Gribbs, that have been shortened looked at with disdain?

I don't know. Ours was shortened from O'Irish and it works just fine

Quote Originally Posted by diver1369 View Post
    Aren't Polish names, like Gribbs, that have been shortened looked at with disdain?
    Nope. Lots of ethnic [[non-British) names were Anglicized. You just gotta know who's who...

I still call it the City-County Building.

Let's not forget the mighty Irish-German denizens of Detroit...this volatile combination of the Celtic and Teutonic is uniquely Detroit...

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    I still call it the City-County Building.
    As do most Detroiters, or simply City Hall. Same with City Airport. In reality, only the media ever calls anything by its formal name, really.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; May-27-09 at 01:32 AM.

Retroit Guest

irish_mafia, do you actually think there is going to be anything left to rename?

gravitymachine Guest

the origianl french inhabitants are gonna be pissed

Eh, just rename the CAY after Rosa Parks and be done with it already.

Rename Woodward to "Monica Conyers Avenue."

Then we can have the Monica Conyers Dream Cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Rename Woodward to "Monica Conyers Avenue."

Then we can have the Monica Conyers Dream Cruise.
    Too funny. lmao.

Cavanagh has a room named after him at the Lager House. That's gotta count for something.

I would propose a compromise.

Rename Eight Mile Road and call it Coleman A. Young Boulevard. After all, it's the road that made him famous.

Then take everything else that's ever been named after him and rename them all back to their original names.

Default Cay

If CAY was so horrible why did people keep voting for him.....

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    I don't know why people vote how they vote. Who the fuck decided that George Bush deserved two terms in office? Wasn't me, I can tell you that much.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Portals/...ing%202009.pdf

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    I would propose a compromise.

Rename Eight Mile Road and call it Coleman A. Young Boulevard. After all, it's the road that made him famous.

Then take everything else that's ever been named after him and rename them all back to their original names.
    I'll accept that, on the Detroit side. Other side can be Bill Bonds Boulevard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I'll accept that, on the Detroit side. Other side can be Bill Bonds Boulevard.
    LOL! Or maybe L. Brooks Patterson Boulevard.