Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Homegrown Food

Default Homegrown Food

Everybody Eats. If you don't you die. This fact of life makes the grocery store business very viable with an instantaneous customer base. So why is there not one mainstream grocery store in all of the City of Detroit?
    Whether it's crime, location or taxes Detroit citizens are making due without a main grocery store with an excellent solution. Detroit has lots and lots of vacant lots--60 sq. mi of it. Detroiters are trending back to the very roots of humanity: homegrown food. Through programs like Adopt-a-lot, the successful Eastern Market, independent grocery stores like Honeybee's Market and upcoming agriculture corporation such as Hantz Farms, Detroit is making lemonade out of their own grown lemons.
    There are so many advantages to this type of production of food. It removes blight, creates community, feeds the hungry locally, provides entrepreneurial opportunities and gets citizens the type of nutrition they need. I really think it is great how Detroit is able to take something that isn't ideal and create an alternative answer.
    http://www.thebigdetroit.com

wow so informed yet so ignorant. Ever take a look at how many spartan stores there are in the city? Drive a few miles downriver and you will hit some good sized markets within the city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigd View Post
    Everybody Eats. If you don't you die. This fact of life makes the grocery store business very viable with an instantaneous customer base.
    That's what the owners of Zaccarro's said too.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    wow so informed yet so ignorant. Ever take a look at how many spartan stores there are in the city? Drive a few miles downriver and you will hit some good sized markets within the city limits.
    Wow, I remember when people used to just say, welcome to the forum. And then maybe, I don't agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Which Spartan Stores owned stores are you referring to? Or did you mean independent stores supplied by Spartan Stores distribution, in which case your rudely offered counterpoint is invalid?

Old guy, I so agree. Civility is lacking.

As to stores in the city I like Parkway at Riverbend, Indian village market just reopened and Luckey's on the far east side. It goes without saying Eastern market. Mulliers in the park and Yorkshire market on Mack.

We have just moved closer to the core city. So learning more about our neighborhood. Had a very nice experience at Staples on Jefferson. Tried to tip the guy but he refused so guess I'll call the store manager to tell him/her they have an ace employee.