Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default any maltese bakeries in detroit/michigan?

anyone know of any? thanks.

Retroit Guest

Northern Maltese or Southern Maltese?

a friend of mine whose husband's family is maltese asked
    if i knew of any bakeries in detroit b/c i grew up there. she is having a very difficult time locating any and she wants to surprise her husband for his birthday with a traditional treat. any information would be helpful.

I believe that there is a Maltese-American organization on Michigan near Corktown. They may know

Maltese Amer Benevolent Soc

[[313) 961-8393
    1832 Michigan Ave, Detroit, MI 48216

just got my Maltese American Benevolent Society newsletter and they are
    looking for a new pastizzi vendor - right now they make their own on site and
    they are available on Sundays

There's a Maltese club in Dearborn, too--on Schaefer north of the old downtown, if I recall correctly.

Well if there's any place you're going to find one, Metro Detroit is your best bet. Nearly 1/3 of all Maltese Americans live in Southeast Michigan.

I found this reference:

Italia Bakery‎
    5717 Schaefer Rd, Dearborn, MI‎ - [[313) 846-4600‎
    Place closed [ I tried calling the number just now and it rings and rings, at 7:00 pm, worth a try during normal bakery business hours)

Review dated Oct 18, 2008 -- If you are a fan of Maltese pastizzi, this is the place to get them. Sold by the dozen, these ricotta cheese filled pastries are sold frozen and ready to bake. The bakery also sell a meat filled variety, but my family only buys the cheese. I grew up in the area and my mother is Maltese; trust me, these pastizzi are the best, and are very reasonably priced [[$12 per dozen). Typically eaten as a snack in Malta, I like to serve them with a salad or sauteed rainbow chard for a light dinner. When friends visit, I serve the pastizzi as a snack, paired with a glass of red wine [[always getting rave reviews). Trust me, even if you aren't Maltese, these wonderful pastizzi are worth the drive. Having recently moved, I now have to figure out a way to get them shipped to my home in California; I can't live without these pastizzi!

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    There's a Maltese club in Dearborn, too--on Schaefer north of the old downtown, if I recall correctly.

It's on the west side of Oakman just N. of Michigan Ave.

Chimento's Italian Market

33610 Plymouth Rd
    Livonia, MI 48150 Map
    [[734) 421-3800

They sell pa

thanks for all of the references.

Sorry to say but Chiemento's in Livonia has closed due to the state of the economy. Their restaurant in Westland, Mangia, is still open.

Default The Best Maltese Pastizzi

If you are looking for the hard to find Maltese pastizzi, you have found it! We have both cheese [[ricotta) and meat pastizzi, we sell them frozen or will bake them for you. We also ship out of state as well. Italia Bakery has been selling pastizzi since 1973.
    Please call
    Italia Bakery
    5717 Schaefer Road
    Dearborn Mi 48126
    313 846-4600

Default Home of the Maltese pastizzi

Italia Bakery
    5717 Schaefer Road
    Dearborn MI 48126
    313 846-4600
    Selling them frozen or baking them on site.

Default Maltese Pastizzi

Italia Bakery
    5717 Schaefer Road
    Dearborn MI 48126
    313 846-4600
    Both meat and cheese pastizzi frozen or baked on site, will ship out of state too.

Default Hi, I'm writing from Italia Bakery, we are not closed down

Our business is not shut down, we still sell pastizzi and will ship to you in California, our hours of operation are from 7:30 a.m- 5:30 p.m.

Italia Bakery‎
    5717 Schaefer Rd, Dearborn, MI‎ - [[313) 846-4600‎
    Place closed [ I tried calling the number just now and it rings and rings, at 7:00 pm, worth a try during normal bakery business hours)

Review dated Oct 18, 2008 -- If you are a fan of Maltese pastizzi, this is the place to get them. Sold by the dozen, these ricotta cheese filled pastries are sold frozen and ready to bake. The bakery also sell a meat filled variety, but my family only buys the cheese. I grew up in the area and my mother is Maltese; trust me, these pastizzi are the best, and are very reasonably priced [[$12 per dozen). Typically eaten as a snack in Malta, I like to serve them with a salad or sauteed rainbow chard for a light dinner. When friends visit, I serve the pastizzi as a snack, paired with a glass of red wine [[always getting rave reviews). Trust me, even if you aren't Maltese, these wonderful pastizzi are worth the drive. Having recently moved, I now have to figure out a way to get them shipped to my home in California; I can't live without these pastizzi![/QUOTE]