Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Home Savings Bank

Good Morning everyone..
    I have this cast iron bank [[or at least i think its cast iron) that was my grandfathers. On the front of the Bank it says Home Savings Bank and under that it says Detroit Mich
    Does anyone know where this bank was? Was this a chain of banks thoughout the city or just one building? When did it close?
    here are some pics of the bank..though not very clear since they are from my phone

I don't know anything about the history of the bank, but I really like it. Haven't ever seen one. Thanks for posting the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    I don't know anything about the history of the bank, but I really like it. Haven't ever seen one. Thanks for posting the pics.
    thank you..i am going to have it appraised but i was hoping to find somthing out about the acutal bank location before i take it in

Bank was organized in 1888 and opened in Jan. 1889. Location was Griswold St. and Michigan Avenue. Couldn't find more information than that online.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    Bank was organized in 1888 and opened in Jan. 1889. Location was Griswold St. and Michigan Avenue. Couldn't find more information than that online.
    Thank you!!

If it is an actual replica of a building, it must have been a branch and not the original location. Apparently the original location had office space above it, some of which was rented by the Order of Masons before they built the Masonic Temple. You can Google an image of the the Wayne County and Home Savings Bank and get a couple of images.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    If it is an actual replica of a building, it must have been a branch and not the original location. Apparently the original location had office space above it, some of which was rented by the Order of Masons before they built the Masonic Temple. You can Google an image of the the Wayne County and Home Savings Bank and get a couple of images.
    I haven’t found a date on it but my Grandfather was born in 1902 and i have no way of knowing when he acquired this...from the limited pictures on google it doesn’t appear to resemble any of the buildings, so perhaps it was just a fictionalized building vs. a replica of one . It will be interesting to see what the appraiser thinks. And speaking of does anyone have any recommendations for an appraiser ?

I know this is ancient but since I have some answers, here goes:

The Home Savings Bank was founded in 1889. One of their early schemes
    was to put a foot high iron savings bank in people's homes. They could
    put money in them and once a month someone from the bank would collect
    and count the money and give the depositor a receipt.

The Home Savings Bank was also notable for opening the first branch bank in the
    city, at Junction and the Michigan Central Railroad tracks in 1889.

I don't know how long the iron bank scheme lasted...probably not very
    long. HSB merged with the Wayne County Savings Bank in 1914 under the
    name Wayne County and Home Savings Bank and then with the Peoples State
    Bank in 1928 to form the People's Wayne County Bank, one of the largest
    in the state/country. Peoples went under in the 1933 banking crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadeaumarie View Post
    I know this is ancient but since I have some answers, here goes:

The Home Savings Bank was founded in 1889. One of their early schemes
    was to put a foot high iron savings bank in people's homes. They could
    put money in them and once a month someone from the bank would collect
    and count the money and give the depositor a receipt.

The Home Savings Bank was also notable for opening the first branch bank in the
    city, at Junction and the Michigan Central Railroad tracks in 1889.

I don't know how long the iron bank scheme lasted...probably not very
    long. HSB merged with the Wayne County Savings Bank in 1914 under the
    name Wayne County and Home Savings Bank and then with the Peoples State
    Bank in 1928 to form the People's Wayne County Bank, one of the largest
    in the state/country. Peoples went under in the 1933 banking crisis.
    Awesome information !! thank you so very much. I love this bank and its great to hear its story. Its been in my family for at least 78 years [[my mom says its older than her) and sits right by the front door. It has a lock on it and the key was lost long ago so we don't use it as a bank any longer. It weighs a ton. My great grandfather worked on the railroad so perhaps he picked it up from that first branch.

found this ...went for a nice price and mine is in much better condition...but I wont be selling mine anytime soon http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/...e-savings-bank