Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Evangelical Deaconess Hospital school of Nursing

Deaconess school of nursing closed its doors in 1972. I graduated from there and thought it was wonderful nurse training.
    Does anyone know where the school transcripts are archived? The Board of Nursing cannot tell me.

Thanks

Vox Guest

According to this page, I suppose that the United Church of Christ would have the records. Ruth W. Rasche seems to have been the go-to, but I believe she's dead from what I read,

http://www.ucc.org/about-us/hidden-h...vement-in.html

Here's the contact info for UCC in Detroit

Southeast Area Associations Office
    P.O. Box 21850Detroit, MI 48221-0850Phone: 313/864 1411 Fax: 313/864 1783 The Southeast Area Associations Office is located in the Mayflower Congregational UCC building at 7301 Curtis St. on Detroit's Northwest side, see Directions below. Please use Post Office Box 21850 for all hard copy communication. [[Click on the tabs above for the DMA and Eastern Association information and church listing).

Please email calendar updates to seamichucc@att.net
    Last edited by Vox; July-15-11 at 08:48 AM.

My aunt was a nurse & attended Deaconess in the 50's, after moving to the east side from the UP. She retired in the early 90's. She died about 10 years ago.

Where was Deaconess?

Deaconess was on East Jefferson. My siblings and I were all born there; my grandmother died there. It was a big part of my family history. In fact, my grandmother was hospitalized there many times. We were too young to visit, so we would drop my mother off and then my dad would drive us around Belle Isle until visiting hours were over.

Deaconess was at 3245 East Jefferson Avenue. I know that because I still have the bill from when my son was born there in 1963 - total cost $173.50 for 3 days. One day I'll figure out how to resize the jpg image and post it.

It now costs $173.50 for one aspirin in the hospital. While on the subject, I was born at Womens Hospital, Detroit, - any history on that place?
    I also had an appendectomy there when I was five - I remember that the wheelchairs were wicker!
    Last edited by Bigb23; July-16-11 at 08:04 AM.

I could check with my church about records. Life long UCC member. My two sisters were born at Deaconess but my brother and I were born at St John's. My Dad always said St John's had better babies. Worked at Deaconess for two summers as a dietary aide. Also had my tonsils out there. Someone disbelived me when I said they knocked me out with ether.

That was one stinky hospital and no I am not that old yet but that place was dated on medical practice.

The Nuns at St John's compromised my birth certificate. I was born in a Marion year, the nuns put my middle name down as Mary but my given name is May. I was born on my Aunt Mays birthday.

My God mother, a nurse, graduated from Deaconess.