Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Midtown and Police

One thing I notice when anywhere near WSU campus is how much more obvious the police presence is. Has it always been that way? Are they funded from WSU? or from Detroit's General Operating Budget?

The WSU police are real cops [[with college degrees) who are funded by the state. They've been around since the late 60s, and despite the recent WSU cop who was charged with sexual assault, their reputation is pretty good. The WSU force patrols campus but also answers calls in the general midtown area [[just call 577-2222). The Wayne cops have to be included in any accounting of why Midtown has been so stable over the years.

There are lots of Detroit cops in the area, too, and they've always been there. The 13th Precinct used to be at Hancock and Woodward, just adjacent to the longtime WSU police HQ. [[The WSU cops are now in a lovely renovated building on Cass north of I-94.)
    Last edited by Carey; July-14-11 at 01:29 PM.

As a long time resident of Midtown...It has always been comforting to have two police departments patrolling my neighborhood.

WSU police are great. They are proactice, respectful, and helpful in non-emergency situations.
    Crime rate on WSU's campus is lower than MSU and UM.