Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default GSCC 2011 BackPack and School Supply Giveaway Coming Soon!

GSCC's 4th Annual Backpack and School Supply Giveaway

August 28, 2011 - Greenhouse Garden

We are getting ready for our
    4th annual Backpack and School Supply Giveaway.

As most of you know, GSCC has adopted A.L.Holmes Elementary/Middle School, which is located on Georgia Street near the Community Center. Although we know we won't be able to provide supplies for all the kids, we want to be able to give to our Garden Clubs at least.
    60 kids or more will need backpacks and supplies.

Stores are having their school supplies sales NOW
    [[can you believe it?)
    We need to start stocking up while they are discounted.

Again this year, we need your help.
    We depend on donations, as we have yet to receive any grant funds this year.

You can donate through Paypal
    [[go to our blog http://georgiastreetgarden.blogspot.com),

Send a check to GSCC
    [[go to our website www.georgiastreetcc.com for the address)

Drop off your donation [[cash or supplies or backpacks)
    at the Community Center
    or call 313-452-0684 and we can arrange for pick up.

Thanks again GSCC family and supporters.
    Let's help these kids start the school year off right!!!!

Yeah! I was thinking of you guys when I was at Staples - they're having a MEGA sale w/ things for a penny, quarter or dollar. I shall pick some stuff up and drop it off!

Thanks, Viva! Picked up some stuff at Walmart today...their sale is just beginning.

Sunday evening bump

Happy August 1st everyone! Reminder bump....

For anyone who is interested in helping out with this- I saw in the Office Depot ad this weekend- that if you spend $15, you can get a free backpack and lunchbag. If you had any interest in helping GSCC's backpack drive- this could be a great way to do that cheaply.

Viva...thanks for your donation! And all the best wishes for your move to Brazil! I know you love it there, so I'm sure you will have a great time!

Saturday morning bump....

As with all charitable organizations, we have seen a decrease in donations this year. We know that times are tough for most people. If you can't send us anything to help out this year, we understand. But if you can find it in your heart to send us a few dollars, or drop off a small amount of supplies, we would really appreciate it. We have some supplies left from last year, but the following items are still needed. Items can be dropped of at the Community Center, or we can arrange for pick-up. Either way, please call Mark at 313-452-0684 to schedule. We thank you for your continued support of GSCC.

Items still needed:
    Backpacks [[mainly for girls) - 10
    Packs of lined notebook paper
    1-inch 3-ring binders
    rulers
    bottles of Elmer's glue
    2-pocket folders
    erasers
    pencil cases
    kids' scissors
    pencil sharpeners
    color pencils
    calculators
    pencil sharpeners

We do not need:
    spiral notebooks
    24 pack crayons
    pencils
    Last edited by Blueidone; August-06-11 at 10:13 PM.

Monday Morning bump

Thursday morning bump

I have some of the items on your list- I'll be in touch to arrange drop off.

Thanks Valerie! If you want to have a day full of smiles, join us at the Giveaway...see the fruits of your donation and I guarantee you will go home with a warm heart!

I will have some items to drop off by next Friday. I will call Mark or someone for a pick up like I did last year.

Thanks again, nativegirl! Your continued support is much appreciated.

Sunday bump. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

I have 5 or 6 backpacks, and a random assortment of other school supplies. I've been buying up items since early summer - so some of them may have found their way on to your "have enough" list- but is it okay if I bring them anyway? I have no use for them.

Absolutely, Valerie! If we can fill more than 60 backpacks, then we can help more kids! If you could drop them within the next week, it would be helpful. Then we will know if we have enough of everything or if we have to do some last minute shopping.

Or if you need us to pick them up, just call Mark and let him know.

Our deepest thanks to everyone who donated! We have reached our goal of 60 backpacks.

If your family needs school supplies, or if you know of someone who does, please call Mark at 313-452-0684 to register to receive a backpack and join us next Sunday, August 28th for the Giveaway. Go to www.georgiastreetcc.com for more information.

Those who have pre-registered will be guaranteed a backpack. All others will be on a first-come, first served basis.

Happy Sunday everyone!

Oh good ! Sorry about being so late dropping my stuff off.

As the old saying goes..."Better late than never" :-)

Although we reached the goal, we are still accepting donations...the more backpacks we have, the more kids we can help.

Thanks again!

Blue...
    I have items including two new book bags that I would like to drop off by Thursday, August 25th. I am in the Downtown area for work. Please e-mail me at fivefourbeauty@yahoo.com
    Thx.

Name:  Mark Checking Bags.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  46.0 KB
    Name:  BackPacks Ready.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  49.4 KB
    Name:  Visitors from CBC in Quebec City.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  46.9 KB
    Name:  What a Haircut!.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  50.0 KB
    Name:  Kids Playing in the Park.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  54.5 KB
    Name:  HotDogs, Chips & Drinks.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  51.5 KB

Thank you to everyone to donated or participated in our 2011 BackPack Giveaway. Although donations were slightly down from last year, we were able to fill and distribue about 75 backpacks.

Although donations were slightly down from last year, we were able to fill and distribue about 75 backpacks.
    Awesome. Hope the kids have a great school year.

Nice job, Blue and Cub!!

Stromberg2