Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Astro Coffee

Default Astro Coffee

I stopped by the new coffee shop on Michigan near Slow's and was very impressed! They had an incredible atmosphere, artisanal coffee, and equally impressive baked goods.

There are a number of new coffee shops in midtown as well. Anyone else stop by Astro or the others?

Do they have wifi?

I went to Astro yesterday, and it was great. Dai/Phil did a great job with interior of the place, very comforting. Few things people may need to know: For the opening week it is cash only. Yesterday they didn't have any dairy free milks available. They do have wi-fi. The best part is if you save your receipt from Astro and take it to Supinos, they will give you a free slice of pizza until the end of July.

Opening week hours
    Tuesday-Friday: 7:30-5
    Saturday: 8:30-6
    Sunday: 7-4
    Monday: Closed

As far as the coffee shops in Midtown, i wasn't that impressed. There is another one opening shortly called The Bottom Line, so we will see. The other 2 aren't that great though in my opinion.

I'm a fan of Thistle Coffee in Midtown- as someone who lives in the North Cass neighborhood, it was a much needed addition- and a large coffee is extremely large when you don't carry out. They've also given that nasty mini-mall a much needed coat of paint.

I like Fourteen East a great deal, actually. It fits that block and the ambiance of the Park Shelton, DIA, East Ferry and the Art District well. It I'll have to check out the Thistle, since I've passed it a few times.

*threadjack*

Jeremy, is the laundromat in that mini-mall ever open? I used it a few times when the laundry at UT was busy/out/weird many moons ago.

And do you know anything about what's going on in the Green Garage? When I passed by on foot this afternoon, it seemed as if some sort of restaurant or retail establishment was going in -- some people beckoned us in but I was on a quick lunch break...

*threadjack over*

The only place I go to in town is 1515..only because it's walking distance from where I live. What ever happened to that cool looking place in Capitol Park?

I went to Astro this morning. Pretty cool. I like the big American flag they have.

I got a coffee to go - their large. It was a small by coffee-chain store standards. It cost $3.18. And it was the best cup of coffee I've had in a long time. It was brewed by the cup. And it was a fancy bean of some kind. I drank it black. I'm not coffee educated, but the best comparison I can think of is that it was like a glass of fine wine. Super rich with all kinds of unique flavor. And it gave me an awesome caffeine kick. I thought $3.18 was fair compared to wine or beer, or $2.00 coffee.

I'm happy to see them in the city.

$3.18??? Forget it - Tim Hortons will do fine. And you don't have to wait for it to brew.

agrahlma Guest

I like the Speedway over on Jefferson - I get my coffee in the morning - cheap, friendly, Speedy Rewards, and Al Allen. That’s an unbeatable combination!!!

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I like Fourteen East a great deal, actually. It fits that block and the ambiance of the Park Shelton, DIA, East Ferry and the Art District well. It I'll have to check out the Thistle, since I've passed it a few times.

*threadjack*

Jeremy, is the laundromat in that mini-mall ever open? I used it a few times when the laundry at UT was busy/out/weird many moons ago.

And do you know anything about what's going on in the Green Garage? When I passed by on foot this afternoon, it seemed as if some sort of restaurant or retail establishment was going in -- some people beckoned us in but I was on a quick lunch break...

*threadjack over*
    The laundry place has been closed for a few years now. The Green Garage is moving along swiftly, I've seen the inside a couple times delivering stuff to them for my job. I don't know of any restaurants going in there, just thinking space, but I'm not the authority on that place. I'd go back and ask for a tour, they're very nice people who are excited to show what they're building.

went to Astro too, even though I don't drink coffee. I had tea and scone. I think it will do well judging from the customers I saw. Too young and artsy for me, but, I'm adjusting. Got a peek into the Sugar House next door, going to be very nice whenever it opens. I think anything on that strip of Michigan will do well.

In ten years people are going to be laughing remembering how that strip of Michigan was vacant. In short order there will be a very cool cafe/restruant row there. I hope they all get some outdoor seating.

I love this thread!

"I think anything on that strip of Michigan will do well"

Not so quick....Mercury Bar ring a bell? Not everything is a gold mine.

Location is one part of the big overall picture. Also, remember wasn't this the guy who ran a couple of fundraisers just to get this business going?

I love that strip of Michigan Ave. Makes you wonder if Oblivions will open back up for breakfast, stay later for drinks? Casey' s still for sale?

$3.18 is a normal price for a quality cup of coffee. It's just like everything else, you get what you pay for. It's like smirnoff vs. grey goose. @joesmithrocks they use Intelligentsia coffee beans which are pretty high quality. Anyone who likes Astro, i would recommend trying Commonwealth in Birmingham if you are ever out that way. They actually roast their own beans in house.

Also Mercury Bar was in the wrong place at the wrong time when it was opened. The artsy kids you guys keep referring to will keep Astro in business, i'm not worried about it at all. Dai did it the right way and people down there are willing to support him.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    "I think anything on that strip of Michigan will do well"

Not so quick....Mercury Bar ring a bell? Not everything is a gold mine.

Location is one part of the big overall picture. Also, remember wasn't this the guy who ran a couple of fundraisers just to get this business going?

I love that strip of Michigan Ave. Makes you wonder if Oblivions will open back up for breakfast, stay later for drinks? Casey' s still for sale?
    You know, there are some bars and restaurants around town that aren't doing well while others are setting records. Some of these struggling establishments just seem tired. Their decor is faded and worn. Their food is mediocre. Their staff and owners seem aloof and detached. They aren't making any effort to reach out to new patrons. They don't offer any new deals, gimmicks, or drink specials, and the loop the same whiny, depressing music in the background. Now, I hang out at a lot of places that fit this description because I normally enjoy the same crusty company, you know, the 3 to 4 regulars who sit belly up to the bar night after night, keeping the place in business by a thread.

However, if some of these places do not make it, I may shed a tear, but I'm not going to be surprised. I know times have been tough and business has been down for many years, but other bars and restaurants are thriving in this town. These 'old dog' bars need to learn some new tricks and up their game. They need to self-inject a shot of adrenaline. Seriously, do some renovations, paint the place purple, hire a peppy new bartender. Create some themed nights, like Karaoke, trivia, or corn-hole. Introduce some live music or even a jukebox. Add some creative new things to the menu other than the same deep-fried junk.

If you want to survive in a dynamic city, you either have to be so legendary of an establishment that you are immortal, or you have to be dynamic and reinvent yourself every so often so people know you're not a rotting corpse of a bar. By god, at least dust the cobwebs off the corners of doors and pluck the fruit flies out of the Tanqueray.

I am glad that another coffee shop has opened in the city. I wish this one would have longer hours of daily business for it is close by the time I get off work during the week days. The coffee shops in the suburbs closes at 9pm on weekdays and 10 to 11pm on weekends. Detroit's coffee houses closes as 6pm or no later than 7pm.

Brushstart, Don't mince words, just tell us which bars/restaurants need updates.
    Stasu1213, the coffee shops/houses close or the coffee shop/house closes.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    You know, there are some bars and restaurants around town that aren't doing well while others are setting records. Some of these struggling establishments just seem tired. Their decor is faded and worn.
    So, would you suggest the Lafayette Coney Island reinvent itself?

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Brushstart, Don't mince words, just tell us which bars/restaurants need updates.
    Stasu1213, the coffee shops/houses close or the coffee shop/house closes.
    I'm not going to drop names and throw 'em under the bus. I know the proprietors of some of these places and want nothing but the best for their businesses, but I think the general statement that some TLC would probably help their bottom lines is a fair assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    So, would you suggest the Lafayette Coney Island reinvent itself?
    No, Lafayette is a perfect example of an establishment whose survival in Detroit is all but guaranteed no matter what. They have become so legendary that they are essentially immortal. Barring some major outbreak of food borne illness, both Lafayette and American are untouchable. Other restaurants that I believe have now reached immortal status are Slow's, Pegasus, Old Shaleighleigh, Roma Cafe and maybe a few others. There are a handful of other establishments that are on the brink of near immortal status, but not there just yet. For these places, time and age will actually add to their allure rather than detract from it.

Fair enough BrushStart. But many legendary places have come and gone. It's the cycle of restaurant life in any city. Slow's, while a great spot, is not even close to being legendary in my book, but I guess that's a subjective observation. Before you consider them immortal, think Small Plates. At one time, Small Plates had all the buzz and more that Slow's enjoys now. And let's not forget Frank Taylor. Well, ok, maybe we will forget him. My point is, many places become close to immortal not because they reinvent themselves, but because they continue doing what they do best. Because the public is fickle, one old haunt may become outdated while another is considered cool. And don't judge any restaurant by how successful it "looks" to an outsider. Filling seats and generating buzz is only part of the equation. Making a profit is the ultimate measure of success. That's why so many dives that aren't saddled with enormous overhead can keep chugging along even if they march to a different [[tired, old) drummer.

Definitely Dguy! Much of the charm of the older establishments is that they are old establishments. Not all bars/restaurants need to look like a prissy Birmingham or Ferndale place to succeed. Ugrading facilities can cost a fortune and then it's a gamble as to whether or not the 'improvements' will result in increased business and if not the losses are never recouped. Possibly that is what happened in the case of Mercury - that place closed in a heartbeat. Some old places renovate after a fire, Charlie's Bar on Springwells reopened after a fire and is an attractive little place with >gasp< windows!!

but your average neighborhood dive bar or restaurant in an old Detroit or suburban neighborhood to me should try to preserve their questionable ambience, it's part of what makes them appealing.

I'm glad that businesses like Astro, etc. are appearing in the SW Detroit area, it equates to hope for the future of the core parts of the city. Myself, I am partial to the old beaten up inexpensive places but although I doubt I will stop in at Astro, I wish them the best of luck and much success.

they use Intelligentsia coffee beans which are pretty high quality.

Is Good Girls Go To Paris using Intelligentsia coffee too? I love the espresso from Intelligentsia. I'll try Astro asap.

Slow's is nowhere near legendary. Not hating on them, but Traffic Jam's older than Slow's owners. Fishbones is another restaurant that made it through Detroit's nadir and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

BTW, made it to Astro yesterday and loved it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast