Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Channel 7 series starts-History of Housing and Race

By chance caught what appeared to be the first show of a new Channel 7 series"History of Housing and Race":

http://detroit2020.com/2011/07/12/de...sing-and-race/

Progran included comments by Professor Thomas Sugrue [[ Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Post-War Detroit, 1996) and demographer Kurt Metzger. High quality start. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodward's Cousin View Post
    By chance caught what appeared to be the first show of a new Channel 7 series"History of Housing and Race":

http://detroit2020.com/2011/07/12/de...sing-and-race/

Progran included comments by Professor Thomas Sugrue [[ Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Post-War Detroit, 1996) and demographer Kurt Metzger. High quality start. Check it out.
    I'm looking forward to the story on how they are moving their studios back into Detroit in furtherance of this 20/20 initiative they are touting. you know.. that whole part about "Our goal is to unify, inspire change and help make Detroit a better place to live, work and raise families."
    Last edited by bailey; July-13-11 at 03:55 PM.

Better tell some of our posters here not to watch it! I'm sure it's all racist revisionism!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I'm looking forward to the story on how they are moving their studios back into Detroit in furtherance of this 20/20 initiative they are touting. you know.. that whole part about "Our goal is to unify, inspire change and help make Detroit a better place to live, work and raise families."
    Agreed. Talk is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    "Our goal is to unify, inspire change and help make Detroit a better place to live, work and raise families."
    From our roost out here in Milford...

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    From our roost out here in Milford...
    I think that they do a decent job in covering the city issues. Unlike some other media outlets that come to mind.

Bailey's point is well-taken. I'm just riffin' on it. Rhetoric is all well and good, but it would be nice if they were fully located in Detroit proper. Like some other media outlets that come to mind.

What is the point of the series? I have to hope it isn't to tell the people of the region things they already know: the races are divided here. It's a phenomenon. It may or not be sustainable. It may or may not be good. And, so?

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there who do not know all about the race riots pre-1967. I think they're trying to be informative.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    What is the point of the series? I have to hope it isn't to tell the people of the region things they already know: the races are divided here. It's a phenomenon. It may or not be sustainable. It may or may not be good. And, so?
    To hopefully get the scales of denial to fall from the eyes of those who go out and tell people such silly things like "Look what THEY did to MY city" and to allow those with a more open and accepting mind to try to help alleviate the problems that currently exist within the COD and to do so hand in hand with those of us who inherited this mess into recreating the city into the shining metropolis it is supposed to be....

I think it is refreshing to see how an ABC affiliate station carries a documentary series the way you would expect PBS to broadcast nationally. It is important in that Detroiters need to look at theselves through their lens or at least their media and engage from there. Somebody somewhere at WXYZ had the guts and integrity to do this. Great!

Notice how the dust doesnt go away when you sweep it under the carpet and refuse to ever raise the said carpet.

racism or not, people want to live with other like themselves.... seems its only a black/white issue but there is no mention of how other ethnic groups tend to group together, asian, jewish, arabic, etc....

yeah, it sucked in the past, there was definatly racism, but today its more of an economic issue, jobs, etc..... blacks with money can buy anywhere they want......

I guess I've heard this same story for 40 years. Not much has changed. Why make a big "documentary" and sell it as such when the reporting is just walking a well-trod road? Pseudo-serious stuff, IMO. I saw the first installment. Pretty light weight. Now I expect it will evolve into more glossing of potential outcomes and dire warnings. But history makes it own way and no television documentary can predict the startling outcomes of hurricanes and housing bubbles on a community and the startling outcomes of both in New Orleans and Detroit.
    Somehow I think it's pretentious of WXYZ to try in a few minutes aggregate.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    To hopefully get the scales of denial to fall from the eyes of those who go out and tell people such silly things like "Look what THEY did to MY city" and to allow those with a more open and accepting mind to try to help alleviate the problems that currently exist within the COD and to do so hand in hand with those of us who inherited this mess into recreating the city into the shining metropolis it is supposed to be....
    I like this. I believe they did this report for all those who are only familiar with the story from a biased perspective. All of the "blacks did this" and "whites did that" language only clouds the truth of what was really happening during that era. Personally, I hope it opens more eyes among the young people who grew up in affluent suburbs and poor city neighborhoods to the part that they can play in making the city of Detroit [[and the Detroit region) a stronger place where people worldwide will want to live and call home.

With all the photos, documentaries and people told me stories about Detroit's image between blacks and whites.

SEGREGATION KILLED DETROIT!

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmc View Post
    I like this. I believe they did this report for all those who are only familiar with the story from a biased perspective. All of the "blacks did this" and "whites did that" language only clouds the truth of what was really happening during that era. Personally, I hope it opens more eyes among the young people who grew up in affluent suburbs and poor city neighborhoods to the part that they can play in making the city of Detroit [[and the Detroit region) a stronger place where people worldwide will want to live and call home.
    This is my take on it, too. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmc View Post
    Yes, it's a nice academic exercise. But if Channel 7 doesn't want to call Detroit home, why should anyone take anything else they have to say about improving Detroit seriously? I would like to see someone call them out on this 2020 navel gazing bs. Put your money where your mouth is Channel 7 and actually DO SOMETHING instead of giving lectures. But, of course, doing something is hard...talking about how others should do something is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    right, like there's some magical line that divides the city and races. oh wait. there is. watch out 696 you're the next 8 mile.

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    right, like there's some magical line that divides the city and races. oh wait. there is. watch out 696 you're the next 8 mile.

696? try M-59 Hall Rd.