Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What do you feed your dog?

I've got a 10 month old cockapoo pup that's been eating Purina Pro Plan puppy formula. In the coming months I have to move him to a adult dog food.
    Anyone feed their dog[[s) a raw diet? How has that been working out?
    Thanks for any help.

Pro Plan Selects is a good balance of protein and natural ingredients and low filler.

Before Grain [[BG) seems even better.

Looking for the first ingredients to actually be meat and not grain or filler is a good rule of thumb.

i've always fed my dog iams. as she got older, i tried another brand and she wasn't eating it. the vet said dogs usually get hooked on what they have been eating and not to change that routine. i even bought her the same brand but bigger chunks and she turned her nose up to that too. but that's just my pooch.
    Last edited by Maof; July-13-11 at 10:55 AM.

I have greyhounds who I used to feed Iams dry dog food in the green bag, which as I remember, was the standard adult dog formula. After several yeas of Iams, they seemed to get burned out of it, & stopped eating it. I switched to Pedigree dry dog food. They've been eating that for several years now.

GUSHI Guest

Pro plan salmon flavor, but i usually also add boiled egg yolks or [[boilded/bbq) chicken to it. I made the mistake of adding it one time, now he want eat the food unless I add something. He also love plain yougurt, his ears would always get infected, so the groomer told me give him alittle yougurt sometimes, and it works like a charm.

I highly recommend Diamond Dog Food products. They don't advertise, which is why they are cheaper than the big name brands, but they are very well made. A breeder and my vet told me about them.

No thanks on Iams/Eukanuba. They have and continue to commit/support inhumane treatment of animals in their supported test labs.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    No thanks on Iams/Eukanuba. They have and continue to commit/support inhumane treatment of animals in their supported test labs.
    ED, do you have any recommendations for dog food? I wasn't aware of this about IAMS.

My dog eats Science Diet Oral Care formula. I think she likes the big chunks. She hasn't taken to any of the other foods we've tried. We haven't found anything else that has big chunks like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    ED, do you have any recommendations for dog food? I wasn't aware of this about IAMS.
    Pro Plan Selects is a good balance of protein and natural ingredients and low filler.

Before Grain [[BG) seems even better.

Looking for the first ingredients to actually be meat and not grain or filler is a good rule of thumb.

As for IAMS/Eukanuba... http://www.iamscruelty.com/index.asp

As long as its in their bowl, or sometimes Ill "drop" something for them on the floor away from the dinner table for them to find. I cant stand a begging dog at the dinner table.

As for IAMS/Eukanuba... http://www.iamscruelty.com/index.asp
    Ah thanks for the food info and sorry for not looking up 6 posts..smh

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    As long as its in their bowl, or sometimes Ill "drop" something for them on the floor away from the dinner table for them to find. I cant stand a begging dog at the dinner table.
    Magnificent valor, Django, that is the only way to be in this world.

Whenever I get a new pet food -- my cat loves the blue buffalo -- I check the ingrediants remembering that dogs and cats are carnivores. Vegans -- if you can't ethically feed MEAT to your carnivore pets, don't have them

Our two girls get Orijen, the Regional Red formula. It's pricey, but it's about the only dog food aside from a raw diet I'd trust. If one of our girls would eat the regular adult formula I'd probably feed them a mix since it's slightly cheaper.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ and http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ are good reference sites when you're looking to change foods.

lit joe Guest

Corndogs, jimmy dean breakfast muffins, table scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by lit joe View Post
    Corndogs, jimmy dean breakfast muffins, table scraps.
    lol............really, corndogs?

My 14 yo corgi mix has been eating Beneful for several years now. She is healthy and gets around great for her age. When I was scraping by I would buy her the cheap store brands and noticed that she was more lethargic and prone to joint pains. Her teeth are getting more sensitive though as she ages and I may switch to a softer food soon.

There are two chained dogs [[never off their short chains) near me. They are in classic near-abuse situations inthat they are in the back of their yards and rarely noticed and fed by owners. I make what I read is a nutritious meal for them: once weekly I cook 2.5 lbs. Ground beef in a pot of water. When meat cooking, add 2 cups rice, 2 cups chopped carrots or pumpkin or beans, raw barley, 1 cup raw pasta, milk powder or milled egg shells [[calcium). Simmer 30 minutes and, off heat, top up mixture with water. Water will absorb as mixture cools. Refrigerate in large Cambro container. I feed two cups daily. In the winter I feed at night with a warm water/ milk mixture.
    These dogs look very good, are good natured and tolerate the bitter cold pretty well.
    Also I often give a raw chicken neck [[Gigante Prince Valley carries them in meat section). They think they are cookies or something.
    Buy the ingredients in bulk and it is very economical.

lit joe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    lol............really, corndogs?
    Yes she love every bite.

My 14 yo Corgi mix is getting too skinny. Any recommendations on a good food to bulk her up? And yes she had a complete physical a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    My 14 yo Corgi mix is getting too skinny. Any recommendations on a good food to bulk her up? And yes she had a complete physical a few months ago.
    i've always heard chicken and rice was a good choice.

I feed my three National Competition X-Tra [[34 percent protein, 20 percent fat) and supplement with whole raw chicken legs [[raw bones are good for their teeth).

But that diet would make most dogs very overweight in short order. Mine are high energy dogs and they never get fat.

Dr. Emil Guest

Dog food. I feed my dog dog food. You know why? Because she's a fucking dog. Specifically, Meijer brand kibbles because that's what she likes. My wife on the other hand, feeds her nightly table scraps on top of her dog food.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast