Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Belle Isle

Tommy Udo Guest

Default Belle Isle

I know this is a little late but I was there on memorial day, and I was very impressed. It was extremely clean and will cared for. Some of the lawns needed to be cut but overall I give the city of Detroit a A- on Belle Isle. And by they way I am a 50 year Lapeer county resident looking to move back to the City. A healthy Detroit makes the State of Michigan healthy.

Don't you know? People who go there less than you seem to think it's trashed and needs an entry fee. Oh, well. Another perfectly good theory ruined by the facts ...

Tommy Udo Guest

you are right about an entry fee. I don't think that can hurt make it a Metro Park like all the rest.

No, Tommy, I'm being sarcastic. I am opposed to an entry fee. Or a car fee. Or any fee for the use and enjoyment of Belle Isle.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    No, Tommy, I'm being sarcastic. I am opposed to an entry fee. Or a car fee. Or any fee for the use and enjoyment of Belle Isle.
    Another thing that can be added to the tally, Gnome.

glad someone else agrees. Its not perfect of course but I think the city does a fairly good job keeping it up esp given how red the budget is.

Some time ago i was listening to 97.1 and the guys were talking about belle isle. They kept harping about how belle isle was "a dump" and basically a place you'll get killed. made me wonder how much time theyve spent there recently; I love belle isle and like to hang out there [[though it can get a bit crowded on saturdays)

I was ecstatic to see last weekend that the fountain was back up and running. Part of me was deathly afraid that the fence would stay up and it wouldn't get done. I do hope, however, they can keep a closer eye on the fountain to protect it from vandals. Such a shame that some scrappers caused massive damage for probably not that much material.

lilpup Guest

I think part of the problem is when those huge family reunions take over on weekends. Some of those groups really leave it a mess, overflowing trash cans everywhere.

I would love to see a "no glass" rule imposed, though. So much broken glass all over is one of the worst things I've seen during the clean-ups and I hate to think of it with so many kids running around.