Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default WHAT! a possible 51st State.

A Republican Politician Jeff Stone wants all of Southern California to suceed from all of California to form a 51st State.

Here's the Details.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...html?r=topnews

Give it time, i think mother nature will help their cause along eventually...

If it wasn't for the tax breaks Puerto Rico would have been our 51st state a long time ago....

And then there's the state of Superior.... the occasional flare ups of Upper Penninsula Michigan folks....

So this politician doesn't like the fact that California went from 4th to 8th largest economy in the world... well, maybe Californians will be more prepared than the rest of the country as the USA starts its' downward slide against some of the Asian economies [[or Brazil).

The last known successions were 1863... when the western [[Appalachian) counties of Virginia broke away from successionist Virginia in the Civil War to form West Virginia.... and then there was 1820, when Maine broke away from Massachusetts [[although I was always puzzled by the fact that they were separated by New Hampshire all along).

curious.. what about all the US 'protectorates', i.e, puerto rico, guam, US virgin islands, u.s. samoa.. why can't they be states..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    curious.. what about all the US 'protectorates', i.e, puerto rico, guam, US virgin islands, u.s. samoa.. why can't they be states..
    In the case of Puerto Rico, they receive generous aid from Washington, and as Gistok pointed out, good tax breaks.

This can't possibly be. Obama had been to 57 States before you elected him and he still had one to go. Was this him overstating yet again?

You've been listening to Rush again, haven't you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I believe they have to want to be states; they get to vote on it and they haven't wanted to so far

I have been to America Samoa and they have no desire to be a state it would actually destroy their way of living. Villages are communal owned with a Chief .Property can only be owned by Samoans Because of this hotel Chains can not buy property they can only lease it so they do not build in American Samoa. There are very few tourist and the culture has stayed the most traditional in the South Pacific the eastern side of the Island beauty is among the best in the world and close by the Island of Ofu in the Manua group matches anything in french Polynesia with out the tourist When I first got to Ofu I was the only Tourist on the Island. American Samoa is like what Hawaii was 100 years ago. I stayed with Tisa and Candyman on American Samoa http://tisasbarefootbar.com/ and Tito And Marge on Ofu http://www.vaotolodge.com/index.html here is a great link on Ofu http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/articles/5747

If this were to become reality , I think it would really piss off da Yoopers eh

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    This can't possibly be. Obama had been to 57 States before you elected him and he still had one to go. Was this him overstating yet again?
    If so, they must have forgotten to change the teleprompter of the turnip-brain that he replaced...

Hmmm. That reminds me.

North Dakota wants to change its name simply to "Dakota".

They said they would make the new state motto: "North of South Dakota".

There's been talk of splitting CA into 2 or 3 states for decades now. Living in northern CA, we'd be more than happy to see them go.

There once a proposal to have a 49th State in the mainland U.S. in 1942 folks in northern California and southern Oregon did like what the state is doing to make roads paved for future automobile traffic. So they created a their own state called Jefferson. Just about congress is about to vote on having a 49th state, suddenly the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. Congress have to dissovle the State of Jefferson plan and declare war against Germany, Italy and Japan. The State of Jefferson was no more.

Here's the story of the State of Jefferson:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_[[Pacific_state)

And here's the flag of the great state of Jefferson:

Note the 'double cross' [[the X's)

Its wild but I jsut watched that story on "How the States Got Their Shapes" on the History Channel the other day. Pretty interesting stuff...

I'd like to propose a trade , Da U.P. for Quebec ... straight up lol !

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    I'd like to propose a trade , Da U.P. for Quebec ... straight up lol !
    Ooooo.... cheap energy from Quebec Hydro dams in northern Quebec!! I'd go for that!